General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car hard to start when Hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car hard to start when Hot.

My buddy has a 97 Z28 that he says is acting weird. The car starts fine when cold in the morning,but after long drives or if he turns the car off and starting it when he gets back from the store,it seems to not want to start.
He did mention that he can hear the starter make a noise when this happens.

Could the starter be going bad and its not disengaging when the car is started,therefore it just keeps spinning with the motor? It then gets hot causing the problem?

He replaced the ignition switch 5 months ago because he was getting a blacked out dash when starting. No problems until now.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost always a battery with a short in it. Cold engines start much easier than hot engines. The battery is ok for a cold start.

Or...when Long Tube headers are installed sometimes it makes the starter very hot and they won't turn at all. But if you keep bumping the key they'll work......

I'd say do the easy part first......go get a free battery test at an auto parts store. Then look to a starter issue.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Almost always a battery with a short in it. Cold engines start much easier than hot engines. The battery is ok for a cold start.

Or...when Long Tube headers are installed sometimes it makes the starter very hot and they won't turn at all. But if you keep bumping the key they'll work......

I'd say do the easy part first......go get a free battery test at an auto parts store. Then look to a starter issue.

Didn't think of that. I'll have him do that. Why would it only do it when it hot? Just doesn't have the juice to start,but after awhile the battery some how powers its self back up?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Didn't think of that. I'll have him do that. Why would it only do it when it hot? Just doesn't have the juice to start,but after awhile the battery some how powers its self back up?
Heat expands everything....the engine is harder to turn.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Heat expands everything....the engine is harder to turn.

Got it. Would explain the noise form the starter also,not enough juice to turn it properly.Thx
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Got it. Would explain the noise form the starter also,not enough juice to turn it properly.Thx
When there's not enough power to turn the engine over, you will usually get the loud click noise from the starter and thats all. Thats the bendix ( little gear) of the starter flying out as you turn the key to start.....it hits the flywheel which is attached to the crankshaft of the engine to turn it over. If there's not enough power to turn it over thats all that happens....the Bendix flys out and impacts the flywheel, but it will not spin it. So no start.

Also, always check all cables and connectors for corrosion.....it will cause the power of the battery to NOT get through......

Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh yes I remember this problem on my 79 T/A with headers. I had to relocate the solenoid to the fender well.

I bought a kit (this was 15 years ago) from MADD that shorted the solenoid on your starter and gave you another one that locates in a cooler area. It was easy and provided all nessessary cables. I never had this "heat soak" problem again.

I don't know if they are still around but I bet there a lot of places that offer this.

Back then the kit was about thirty bucks
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Ahh yes I remember this problem on my 79 T/A with headers. I had to relocate the solenoid to the fender well.

I bought a kit (this was 15 years ago) from MADD that shorted the solenoid on your starter and gave you another one that locates in a cooler area. It was easy and provided all nessessary cables. I never had this "heat soak" problem again.

I don't know if they are still around but I bet there a lot of places that offer this.

Back then the kit was about thirty bucks
Yup....I know a few guys around here that just wrapped the starter with a thin piece of aluminum sheet metal on the one side. Few dollars and a few minutes. Worked perfectly.

I never had problems with my LT's getting my starter hot......

Old 05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

He had the battery tested today and it was toast.Put the new one in and all is good now.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal!

Quick Reply: Car hard to start when Hot.