dog keeps chewing up sprinkler heads!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dog keeps chewing up sprinkler heads!

I've replaced 10 of them and filled holes around them and am tired of doin this **** I've bought some no dig bs from petco but of course it didn't work ive put cayenne pepper and hot *** hot sauce on the heads and that didn't work either..... I'm stumped any ideas
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Give your dog something more interesting that he can chew on/up?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem. Put some salt or ugly *** medecinelike nyquil on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This,

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Give your dog something more interesting that he can chew on/up?
and putting anything on it won't work once you run it.You can try putting a cheap one with the same stuff just don't run it and make sure your dog gets to taste it, but doing it once usually won't work. Best thing to do it catch him in the act and constantly reinforce that its not ok until it sticks.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put some habanero hot sauce on the heads and physically place his mouth in then till he gets the hot sauce on his tongue or mouth and repeat onec a day for a week. He will learn to stay away from them. Unless you want to be a hippie and take a softer approach. Keep in mind any hot sauce you place an the heads will dry p or get washed away when they turn on.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Im gonna go get a ton of chew toys today to see if I can distract him from them for awhile atleast.... Anyone know where I can get a heavy duty spring to make a spring pole for him?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of dog is it?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

My pit bull loves to chew things, if your dog destroys toys then go get a Kong brand ball. I bought the one for large size dogs (85lbs +) and he has had it over 2 years. Every toy I have bought him besides that has been destroyed, usually in minutes.

As far as the sprinklers, I don't think the toys will distract him/her enough, the dog is already fond of chewing them. My dogs kept chewing on my BBQ grill wires until I hooked up an electric fence and ran a wire over to the grill. Now they won't go near it. Even after a year or so of the grill no longer being hooked to the wire they still won't touch it.

I liked the ideal of putting habenaro or something on them and putting the dog's mouth on them to show it that it is not okay. In my experience once they learn something is unpleasant they tend to stay away.

Like my electric fence, it's called a fido shock, it has a thin metal wire you run around the perimiter of the yard on the fence, once they hit it a couple times they never go near it again. Mine kept digging under and getting out so I put it up. The electrical box stopped working a year or so ago, but they still know and wont come close to it.

Too bad you can electrify the sprinklers!

And just so you guys know, the electric fence isn't high voltage, it just buzzes you, I have touched it many times, doesn't hurt, just "scares" you.

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
Im gonna go get a ton of chew toys today to see if I can distract him from them for awhile atleast.... Anyone know where I can get a heavy duty spring to make a spring pole for him?
I would like to see how this is done, I think my pit would love it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

You might try the can trick. Tie a string of cans together that will make a large bang to frighten the dog. Sit out with him all day and watch him. Every time he starts chewing throw the cans in his direction. He will learn that chewing on those causes this action he doesn't like.

Really you can do this same approach with just reprimanding him. I do give my dog spankings if he acts up but only to teach him but not if its MY fault!

Just takes patience, dogs are creatures of habit. If he chews it, then you just replace it, its more of a routine for him now that he can chew it and a new one will come and he can chew that now. And if he has already chewed it ... dragging him over there to reprimand him isn't going to work - thats in the past. Train him in the moment for things like this.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Scoop up his dog **** and put it right by the heads. This always works when they dig under fences.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
My pit bull loves to chew things, if your dog destroys toys then go get a Kong brand ball. I bought the one for large size dogs (85lbs +) and he has had it over 2 years. Every toy I have bought him besides that has been destroyed, usually in minutes.

As far as the sprinklers, I don't think the toys will distract him/her enough, the dog is already fond of chewing them. My dogs kept chewing on my BBQ grill wires until I hooked up an electric fence and ran a wire over to the grill. Now they won't go near it. Even after a year or so of the grill no longer being hooked to the wire they still won't touch it.

I liked the ideal of putting habenaro or something on them and putting the dog's mouth on them to show it that it is not okay. In my experience once they learn something is unpleasant they tend to stay away.

Like my electric fence, it's called a fido shock, it has a thin metal wire you run around the perimiter of the yard on the fence, once they hit it a couple times they never go near it again. Mine kept digging under and getting out so I put it up. The electrical box stopped working a year or so ago, but they still know and wont come close to it.

Too bad you can electrify the sprinklers!

And just so you guys know, the electric fence isn't high voltage, it just buzzes you, I have touched it many times, doesn't hurt, just "scares" you.

I would like to see how this is done, I think my pit would love it.
LOL !!! I just busted out laughing in the office lol...

I have a electric fence too… My dog loved to bust through the fence …After putting that on he stopped it hasn't been on in over a year..

Just make sure you get an electric fence for dogs.. Mines for cattle and horses... I used to have a wolf that loved to jump the fence the dog one didn’t work.. Last thing you want to do is touch the one I have that thing hurts.. Don’t want to know how many time I’ve touch that thing by mistake.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
ppp
Launching!

^^^^^+1. Mine will tear up everything unless it's by her poop
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a question about digging but I don't want to thread hijack so I'll start a new one.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I've leaned on my grill so many times with no shoes on and shocked my self. The best part about having an electric fence is getting drunk and pushing your friends into it. Doesn't work if you have shoes on so you usually have to push them down and roll them into it hahahaa.

And mine is for dogs also.
I will bring mine over to your house... It will get you lol Shoes or no shoes lol

My neighbor kids about died laughing when they saw me get shocked the first time.. I dropped to my knees when I got shocked for the first time.. I was setting it up for the first time and when I turned it on it didn’t make any clicking noise like it said it should.. Well I see this big *** light coming from the back yard… Sparks were going everywhere… My dumbass goes to the back yard to try and stop the sparks… Did I forget to tell you it was raining and it was a night???? I was trying to cut around the area to stop the sparks when I grabbed the wire and it got me.. I was standing in water… I felt so dumb and my neighbor kids didn’t help any when they were lol at me …

I was pissed!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

I'll try to get some pics
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

He's a pitbull his name is Boost!
Name:  facebook_-254545594.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  31.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0167.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  15.9 KB
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
He's a pitbull his name is Boost!

Damn good looking dog. My pit chews everything, my boxer doesn't mess with anything.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man I almost got a bad *** solid white akc boxer but they just wanted too much
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck on the dog. Its been my experience that what worked for one dog may not for another. Its aggrivative tryin to figure out what they respond to. I'll guess he is still relatively young. The Husky/Malamute/wolf mix we had was pretty destructive until about 2.5 yrs old.

The electric fence stories reminded me of my husky and Pyreneese. The Husky would dig under, the Pyr would climb over the fence or lift the latch of the gate. The gate was an easy fix. I had a wire running the top and bottom of the fence powered by a livestock charger. The husky would test the perimeter periodically. She'd go up and start sniffing near the wire and when the pyr came up she would push him into it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dog keeps chewing up sprinkler heads!