Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure gauge going crazy!!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge going crazy!!!!

I'm guessing I need a new oil pressure gauge switch but I want to ask for the past 3 days I noticed my oil pressure acting crazy for instance when I'm at idle the needle goes to the middle at 40 normal then it starts bouncing back and forth around the middle of the gauge at the 40 mark I step on the gas and as I go between 1 to 45 mph the needle bounce all the way up to the 60 mark the one after the 40 then it bounces back between the 40 and 60 not until I go to 75 mph it stays at 60 mark every minute or so it would bounce back to 40 then 60 the point is the needle does not stay stayble at the 40 mark like it use to so what can cause this to happen?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That was the longest sentence I have ever read.

Try hooking up a mechanical gauge before going through the hassle of replacing the opsu then go from there.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mjs1012
That was the longest sentence I have ever read.

Try hooking up a mechanical gauge before going through the hassle of replacing the opsu then go from there.
Sorry I tried to be as especific as possible I'm tryin to figure it out I can't seem to figurr wht the sudden change in behavior
Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone knw what might cus this sudden change? I dnt see any oil leaks nor my oil gets low I ask cus I'm gona do my valve covers and ls6 swap amd I wanted to do simce I'm already taking stuff apart and have more room the only thing I can guess is the oil pressure switch

Last edited by ls1sickandtwisted; 06-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad I seen this thread. My gauge is doing the same thing.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I put it as I need new oil gauging
Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Insano Z28
I'm glad I seen this thread. My gauge is doing the same thing.
Yea just out of no where this started doing my car is running like a champ it just nugs me to see that needl e moving like its on crack or something lol
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I put it as I need new oil gauging
So are u gona change ur oil pressure gauge switch?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

soon yes, hope that's it.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

soon yes, hope that's it.
I'm gona have to do some research but is it complicated piece to switch?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pressure is variable and changes depending on engine speed/load, oil type/weight, age of oil, etc.

Based off of your description it is hard to tell whether or not your oil pressure reading is bouncing around abnormally or just moving around in it's normal range.

The oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) could act up if it's bad and cause erratic readings but it's tucked way in back of the intake manifold. Make sure the OPSU is your problem (instead of being low on oil or badly needing an oil change) before wasting the time and money changing. Even though it is possible to change it without removing the intake, it is not fun to work back there plus you will need a special socket just to remove it.

IF you do end up trying to replace to OPSU do NOT get an aftermarket sensor, get a GM AcDelco one. I just made the mistake of getting a "standard" brand OPSU because I needed it quick, and ended up taking it back out because of the crazy pressure readings I began getting. Gotta love doing stuff twice... NOT. lol
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by j498
Oil pressure is variable and changes depending on engine speed/load, oil type/weight, age of oil, etc.

Based off of your description it is hard to tell whether or not your oil pressure reading is bouncing around abnormally or just moving around in it's normal range.

The oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) could act up if it's bad and cause erratic readings but it's tucked way in back of the intake manifold. Make sure the OPSU is your problem (instead of being low on oil or badly needing an oil change) before wasting the time and money changing. Even though it is possible to change it without removing the intake, it is not fun to work back there plus you will need a special socket just to remove it.

IF you do end up trying to replace to OPSU do NOT get an aftermarket sensor, get a GM AcDelco one. I just made the mistake of getting a "standard" brand OPSU because I needed it quick, and ended up taking it back out because of the crazy pressure readings I began getting. Gotta love doing stuff twice... NOT. lol
Well my oil is not low that's the first thing I checked and second my oil change was done abt 1000 miles ago and this kind of radiac behavior started all of a sudden but I'm switcjing my intake manifold and valve covers I plan to switch since the manifold will be off
Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having the same reading on my cluster, oil pressure needle bouncing up and down very quick. What ended up being your solution Guys???
Old 08-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Banned

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but has anyone found a solution for this problem which didn't include replacing the OPSU? I had bouncing gauges last fall and that turned out to be a exciter wire & alternator problem. I fixed that, changed the oil (Redline 10W40 > M1 0W30), replaced the OPSU (ACDelco) and it still bounces around. It never reads below ~45-50psi, but randomly bounces around between that psi and briefly being pegged above 80psi.

I haven't checked the mechanical oil pressure because I haven't stumbled across an easy method to do so while driving... suggestions? Only other things I can think of are oil pump o-ring (pump last replaced Sept. 2010), gauge cluster problem, maybe bad PCM connectors..?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you start a post try and finish it please, mine doing the same, took oil pressure test and it's not oil pressure, will change the sensore this winter when car is in storage.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The majority of my fluttering gauge was remedied by replacing the OPSU again; there is a bit of minor bouncing to it sometimes at idle which supposedly is in the instrument cluster.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:26 PM

Default oil pressure gauge cluster

Originally Posted by ls1sickandtwisted
I'm guessing I need a new oil pressure gauge switch but I want to ask for the past 3 days I noticed my oil pressure acting crazy for instance when I'm at idle the needle goes to the middle at 40 normal then it starts bouncing back and forth around the middle of the gauge at the 40 mark I step on the gas and as I go between 1 to 45 mph the needle bounce all the way up to the 60 mark the one after the 40 then it bounces back between the 40 and 60 not until I go to 75 mph it stays at 60 mark every minute or so it would bounce back to 40 then 60 the point is the needle does not stay stayble at the 40 mark like it use to so what can cause this to happen?
I have a 02 z28 with 69 on chassi and 2k on brand new ls1 and it's been bugging the hell out of me because of that same problem. Oil gauge going crazy. I took mine in hoping it was just the opsu but it's not it's the cluster itself. Chevy was charging me about $650 way too much. Anyways hope this solved ur problem now to break the bank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge going crazy!!!!