Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My new brilliant Aussie-designed Mantic Clutch kit for my Whipple'd 590rwhp Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new brilliant Aussie-designed Mantic Clutch kit for my Whipple'd 590rwhp Camaro

So my clutch had started sticking recently ... I flushed the brakes and clutch and it improved, however I had the same problem back in Australia with my cammed 500rwhp Holden SSV Commodore (Pontiac G8 GT) and know it is only a matter of time until the clutch needs replacing.

So the first company I thought of was some guys I met at SEMA called Mantic. Being an Aussie, the commodore racing car they had on their booth caught my eye ... and when I got talking with them found out they had just started bringing their products to the US. The kits look brilliant .... really well engineered and made. As a point of showing how good they are, they go to the effort of shipping them in either in a wooden crate or an aluminum flight case.

So I got on line and started researching them and was REALLY impressed with their technology ... so I emailed their Australian office and they put me on to Tim their local distributor.

As a coincidence, I mentioned to Tim that Ryne Cunningham would be fitting the clutch for me, and he said that a customer of CMS had recently fitted a twin-plate Mantic in their Z06. So I asked the guys at CMS what they thought and they said they were really, really impressed with the clutch kit and had no hesitation in recommending Mantic.

I've gone for a Mantic Street with ER2 ... a single plate clutch kit that comes with pressure plate, clutch plate, flywheel and thrust bearings and spacers and has an MSRP of only $795. The grooved pressure plate provides better grip, while the design increases capable torque by 60% over a standard clutch. The design also drastically reduces temperature. It will be more than adequate to handle my hp and torque and still retain total drive-ability of a standard clutch.

I'll attach some pics and also a link to their website ... and then when I get it installed in a couple of weeks I'll come back and give and update with some more pics and video.

If you want more info you can speak to Ryne at CMS if you're in SoCal, or email Tim Andrews at TA Performance Sales: ta.performancesales@gmail.com or phone 440.391.1330

They're looking for more Camaro installers ... so can I suggest a few of you guys like Ted may want to give him a call. They also have track-designed twin and triple disk kits available too. Mantic Performance Clutches

Here's the clutch I've gone for: Mantic Performance Clutches

Look at how well put together the kit is:

Check out the grooved pressure plate:
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The grooves are interesting. I wonder if they are truly effective or are they like drilled and slotted brake rotors?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
The grooves are interesting. I wonder if they are truly effective or are they like drilled and slotted brake rotors?
Check out the link to website ... they explain how it works in there.

Makes sense comparing it to slotted rotors ... not only about improving grip ... also makes for better heat dispersion.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder how these hold up... do they make puck clutches?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

So, you bought it, but never installed it, and now you are linking the forum to in approved vendor websites.

I'm curious why you made this post if you have never actually used the product
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by simon.w
. It will be more than adequate to handle my hp and torque and still retain total drive-ability of a standard clutch.

Here's the clutch I've gone for: Mantic Performance Clutches

Look at how well put together the kit is:

Check out the grooved pressure plate:
A segmented disc like the one you have will not have the same "street maners" as a full face organic disc. You will experience some chatter during break in and if you slip the clutch. Typical but once you find the sweet spot on engagement in your driving habbit it should be OK. One of the trade off's when going to a more aggressive clutch disc, especially a segmented puc type.

Interesting concept on PP, let us know how it works out after you install/drive it
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
So, you bought it, but never installed it, and now you are linking the forum to in approved vendor websites.

I'm curious why you made this post if you have never actually used the product
I think he might work for Mantic
Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yall are cruel! lol So I read through the tech info on the site and I believe I got more confused. I think I get the concept but the explanation wasn't all that great. The part does look cool though. I would be interested to see it actually used/tested in some of our cars.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djfury05
I think he might work for Mantic
I don't work for Mantic ... I saw the product at SEMA and was really impressed by the way the products were made ... did my research, and was even more impressed by how they responded to my questions.

There are so many cheap and nasty products out there these days ... I just get excited when I stumble across someone who actually has a well engineered product that is supported by good customer service. I guess I'm patriotic too ... so I get even more excited when it's from my home country.

I guess that's what I was used to in Australia ... don't get me wrong ... I love the US, but it seems over here everything has to be purchased on the web because of so many crappy stores like Kragens and Autozone. I miss the specialty high performance speed shops we had in Australia that only sold products for street machines and muscle cars. Maybe they're out there and I just haven't found them yet. I hope that's the case.

All I'm saying is check these guys out. I know I haven't installed the kit yet ... but it is so well built, and their service was so good ... I can't fault them.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

i am still saving for mine a local installer here only uses mantics on there vettes camaros and goats. checked them out and was also impressed. i mentioned them once too and was greeted by the same. oh u must work for them. i share ur excitement as well as this seems to be a very high quality product.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I also had the same level of excitement after checking out their product. I saw their booth at SEMA 2011 right when the show was closing (they were starting to pack up their booth) and got to sit in the demo car (Holden V8 Supercar, IIRC?) and feel the clutch. I did some research and have only found good things about them, so far. I am also interested in a Mantic clutch for my build (how I found this thread). The quality and reliability of this product is pretty good from what people have been saying, but there's also not too many reviews at the same time (due to the price and the fact that they have been mostly in Australia, I'm guessing). Please keep this thread updated with your experiences. Also, Ryne Cunningham at CMS tuned my car and it has been doing great ever since. Great shop.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I also had the same level of excitement after checking out their product. I saw their booth at SEMA 2011 right when the show was closing (they were starting to pack up their booth) and got to sit in the demo car (Holden V8 Supercar, IIRC?) and feel the clutch. I did some research and have only found good things about them, so far. I am also interested in a Mantic clutch for my build (how I found this thread). The quality and reliability of this product is pretty good from what people have been saying, but there's also not too many reviews at the same time (due to the price and the fact that they have been mostly in Australia, I'm guessing). Please keep this thread updated with your experiences. Also, Ryne Cunningham at CMS tuned my car and it has been doing great ever since. Great shop.
Will do ... I've been too busy at work to get down there, but I'm going have to find the time soon ... the stock clutch is on the way out.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by banaro79
i am still saving for mine a local installer here only uses mantics on there vettes camaros and goats. checked them out and was also impressed. i mentioned them once too and was greeted by the same. oh u must work for them. i share ur excitement as well as this seems to be a very high quality product.
Good to hear .... Mantic are certainly building a good name for themselves.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
A segmented disc like the one you have will not have the same "street maners" as a full face organic disc. You will experience some chatter during break in and if you slip the clutch. Typical but once you find the sweet spot on engagement in your driving habbit it should be OK. One of the trade off's when going to a more aggressive clutch disc, especially a segmented puc type.

Interesting concept on PP, let us know how it works out after you install/drive it
Keep in mind that this is a dual friction disc, the side mating to pressure plate is full-face organic, segmented side mates to flywheel only. This design provides maximum grip while reducing chatter.

Flywheel side

Pressure plate side
Old 09-18-2015, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a waste of a thread. I hate when I stumble across these and the OP fails to report back
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an ER2 in my car, drives well, trying to adjust the tick just right is the bigger pain.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whatsa347
I have an ER2 in my car, drives well, trying to adjust the tick just right is the bigger pain.
Have you ran it at the drag strip with the mantic?
Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Have you ran it at the drag strip with the mantic?
Nope, but it's as good as my monster in every way shape and form, except cheaper. It has no problems grabbing, I also slip it everyday in Houston traffic, no problems. I've had in for about 3 weeks now, really like it. Ran it hard on the street while adjusting the tick master and it loved it. Can't wait to throw my heads and a cam in the car. Now, it will chatter if you slip it just right, but it's such a small amount you might not even notice it. If you want, I can try and take a video if you really wanna see it in action.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Nope, but it's as good as my monster in every way shape and form, except cheaper. It has no problems grabbing, I also slip it everyday in Houston traffic, no problems. I've had in for about 3 weeks now, really like it. Ran it hard on the street while adjusting the tick master and it loved it. Can't wait to throw my heads and a cam in the car. Now, it will chatter if you slip it just right, but it's such a small amount you might not even notice it. If you want, I can try and take a video if you really wanna see it in action.
That would be great if you posted a video
Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
That would be great if you posted a video
PM sent.

Quick Reply: My new brilliant Aussie-designed Mantic Clutch kit for my Whipple'd 590rwhp Camaro