LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 hesitation Help Plz!

Old 08-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 hesitation Help Plz!

I've been having hesitation with my 94 TA for a long time and can't figure it out. The SES light never comes on. FIrst drive of the day it runs fine for like a minute then start hesitating and stumbling badly. After about 15 minutes of driving, it acts a lot better but there is still some hesitation. It only hesitates at below like 2-2.5K rpms then it takes off. And i've had it stall twice on me in the last 3 weeks. I took it to 2 shops so far and one replaced the opti, wires, and plugs but that did fix it. Later I found out that guy was a dumbass though and put like $20 wires on and ran them over the exhaust so I had to get new wires again. Then i took it to another place after I got new wires and they said it was the wires but I know it can't be that because I have Accell 9000+ wht heat sleeves on and they are run good. If it was a sensor acting up, wouldn't the SES light come on? And I just read that a symptom for a bad optispark is stumbling at low rpms so it mite be that?? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanx
Old 08-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Also could be O2 sensors. How many miles on the odometer?

You mentioned taking it to a couple of shops, but have you taken it to a GM dealership?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94TA
I've been having hesitation with my 94 TA for a long time and can't figure it out. The SES light never comes on. FIrst drive of the day it runs fine for like a minute then start hesitating and stumbling badly. After about 15 minutes of driving, it acts a lot better but there is still some hesitation. It only hesitates at below like 2-2.5K rpms then it takes off. And i've had it stall twice on me in the last 3 weeks. I took it to 2 shops so far and one replaced the opti, wires, and plugs but that did fix it. Later I found out that guy was a dumbass though and put like $20 wires on and ran them over the exhaust so I had to get new wires again. Then i took it to another place after I got new wires and they said it was the wires but I know it can't be that because I have Accell 9000+ wht heat sleeves on and they are run good. If it was a sensor acting up, wouldn't the SES light come on? And I just read that a symptom for a bad optispark is stumbling at low rpms so it mite be that?? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanx
how many miles do u have? it could be the dristrubutor. mine had a very similar problem at around 55k miles
Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I just got mine out of the shop after getting the cat and I-pipe replaced and it is bogging like crazy too. It is bogging in the same rpm spot. It will kinda shake and not get faster, then BAM it kicks me in the *** and goes. when the bog stops the Service light comes on. Is this possibly the same problem?

My car has 110xxx miles on it and it never did this before until i got it out of the shop.

Not trying to hijack the thread but maybe we can both get help
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Transamula
I just got mine out of the shop after getting the cat and I-pipe replaced and it is bogging like crazy too. It is bogging in the same rpm spot. It will kinda shake and not get faster, then BAM it kicks me in the *** and goes. when the bog stops the Service light comes on. Is this possibly the same problem?

My car has 110xxx miles on it and it never did this before until i got it out of the shop.

Not trying to hijack the thread but maybe we can both get help

Yea, mine does about the exact same thing but the SES light never comes on. I have 125,000 and I just got a new optispark distributor from the dumbass guy I mentioned above so I don't know how well he installed it or if its actually a new one. Said mechanic also serviced my moms suburban and messed it up. I think its weird that it acts fine in the like first 2 minutes i drive it and then after 15 minutes if driving. THanks for replies
Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Also could be O2 sensors. How many miles on the odometer?

You mentioned taking it to a couple of shops, but have you taken it to a GM dealership?
Haven't taken to a dealershipp yet. Im trying to get some leads so I dont go broke paying a dealership to do it. THeres a guy that works at a dealership that im going to talk to in a few days and he'll do that on the side so it doesn't cost as much. I've changed one O2 sensor cuz i Couldnt get it out of the anifold when I put on headers.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Launching!

dealerships will rape you so im trying to find a decent shop to do this for me.

With mine the SES comes on only about half the time.

I've got a set of Jet hot LT's sitting in my basement that I cant afford to put on right now

but at least when they do go on i wont have to worry about this problem...I hope
Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I didn't mean to just drop it off at the GM dealership and write them a blank check. More like have them scope it & diagnose it and get somebody else -or yourself- to fix whatever's wrong. In theory, they should be able to tell you what's up better than Joe's Garage
Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Yeah, I didn't mean to just drop it off at the GM dealership and write them a blank check. More like have them scope it & diagnose it and get somebody else -or yourself- to fix whatever's wrong. In theory, they should be able to tell you what's up better than Joe's Garage
Alright, I'll do that. THanks for the advice.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Default Try the Map sensor

I had a bad / clogged map sensor due to a bad PCV valve.. Carbon built up in the intake and clogged the sensor.. Check the PCV and if dirty replace.. then remove the Map sensor on the upper left of the intake remove it and see if there is carbon build up. the is a small red silicone seal that also needs cleaned.. try that and see if your problem goes away.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

If you installed a CAI or new filter, when the intake sucks in air the filter oil can collect on the mass air sensor. Causing the hesitation. Thats what happened to mine then I just bought some mass air sensor cleaner and sprayed it down and it ran good as new
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any luck on this?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

does your car starts fine ? if it starts only after cooling for few minutes , it might be the fuel pump.

test fuel pressure.

check for codes.

you can change opti,plugs and wires yourself . Don't trust all shops lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 hesitation Help Plz!