Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Trans Am leaking oil

Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am leaking oil

Hello, I am new to the LS1 Tech, I've been browsing anonymously through the threads about oil leaks and I thought I came to the conclusion that it was my rear main seal. I've attached a picture which leads be to believe the oil leak is coming from above, maybe valve cover leaking, also my car does not leak when its not running. Only leaks when engine is on, if it was a rear main seal would it not leak all the time? Also it will leave about a cup of oil on the ground after running it so its sorta severe. I am having a hard time attaching other photos but I have one of the driver side rear of the engine that looks like the one pictured. I have pictures of the "OPSU" and its dry. I'll try to get more pictures. Leak come from between engine and transmission.

Also wanted to comment how great of a site this is.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trans Am leaking oil-2012-05-31_18-17-45_798.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I have seen some leaking from the rear cover gasket area. Or mine just threw me for a loop. It looked like a rear main but ended up being a crack in the block around the oil galley just above the oil filter.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

im about to have my rear main swapped, mine only leaks when the car is off that i know of. but mine leaks about 1/2 qt a oil change sometimes more sometimes less.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Teching In

From that pic it looks like it's leaking from the valve cover.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the replys so far, im going to get some valve cover gaskets, hate to keeps asking trivial questions but can a valve cover leak a lot of oil? If I drive it regularly, in under two weeks the low oil level light comes on, which from what I read mean a quart low, seems like a rapid rate to lose oil. I bookmarked the page on how to change valve cover gaskets so Im set. Just want to make sure because the huge oil loss has me worried that its something else.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Launching!

what kind of oil pressure does it old?
that pesky sending unit could have broke...
mine leaked like crazy till i replaced the sending unit when i swapped in a ls6 intake.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Launching!

sending unit would explain why its only leaking while its running, and the sending unit is more on the driver side, right above where the trans bolts to the block...
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

It reads any where from 50 ish psi to 70 psi sometimes 75 psi. It looked dry when I took pictures of the oil pressure sending unit but I will check again. There seems to be a much more awful amount of oil on passenger side. If it was rear main seal I would think it wouldn't have oil outside on the side of the transmission and on the outside of a spark plug. Here is two pictures attached of the oil pressure sending unit. Looks dry to me unless im missing something.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trans Am leaking oil-2012-05-31_18-04-58_273.jpg   2000 Trans Am leaking oil-2012-05-31_18-05-44_325.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

those last 2 pics look like pics of injectors to me. oil sending unit is in middle behind intake on the back of the block

no you would not have oil all over the side of the block or the tranny if it was the rear main seal. i would start with valve covers, oild sending unit, and/or cam sensor which is also up top in middle which is sealed by an o-ring, not common for going out though.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replys, I will be looking some more. The oil pressure sending unit is hard to look at, so ll go valve covers first then take off manifold for either cam sensor or oil pressure sending unit.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also check your PCV plumbing.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Ok gentleman, sorry I have not been on in a while, I took the manifold off and proceeded to change OPSU, Valve cover gaskets, and check pcv plumbing. From the looks of it it looked like I valve cover gaskets, just to be sure I changed the OPSU plus I was getting weird oil pressure readings. Put it together, oil reading back to normal. Looked under for leaks, initially no leaks then I had the antifreeze leak which I know is coming from the water pump and I have a crack in the radiator. Then later I found oil still leaking but differently not like before. So I took it to a shop (mind you im homeless and unemployed and paying for this with my last of unemployment checks) they wanted $590 for the rear main seal. I said go ahead. They call me and said the clutch is drenched in oil so its a good idea to get a good one. I ordered a monster clutch stage 1, it'll be here friday. I'll get that installed. About $1200 in total price. Next i'll buy the radiator and water pump and do the labor myself. Probably another $300 - $400 dollars than im probably going to sell it. I can't keep up with the state im in. Im thinking $7000 for the car after im done with repairs. What do you guys think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am leaking oil