Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap in Buick Regal...need help

Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap in Buick Regal...need help

OK, I'm sorry if this subject has been beatin to death here, but I need some help. I have plans to install a Corvette LS1 into a Buick Regal. I would like to start gathering parts that I will need to do the swap. My plans are to purchase a Corvette LS1 with trans. I would like to know if it would be possible for someone to help me with a list of parts that I will need to do this conversion.

Thanks in advance.....Bryan
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the info on the wiring.....that was a big concern of mine. Now I just need to know parts........what I will need to actually bolt this in the car.

By the way......A MIATA with a LS1, good lord that will be fast....
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

You want the Camaro/Firebird LS1 as the Vette oil pan won't work, the accessories are wider, and it is fly by wire throttle control. Also the Vette LS1 has a transaxle (rear mounted) whereas the Camaro has a standard mounted transmission. Get the Camaro/Firechicken setup.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Teching In

What is the difference in the horsepower rating?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Regal
No difference.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Regal

with the exception of the accessories, oil pan and and exhaust manifolds, they're the same motor.

internally, they're identical... theres minor variations thruout the years, but nothing notciable... aka within the error range on a dyno..

my 02 LS1 is basicly a corvette motor.... athough i think its foolish to call it that.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This link should answer most all of your questions http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Teching In

John B.....I just finished reading the build up and I must say, very descriptive. When I get ready to do the build I will have to keep in touch with you just in case I have any questions. Thank You
Old 06-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Here is what you need....

I am in the process of installing a LS1 and 4l60e transmission in my 1986 El Camino or G Body. I am using John B's motor mounts and notched F-Body (Camaro/firebird) oil pan. Just did a trial fit and it looks like they both work.

The Corvette LS1 and F-Body LS1 are identical except cam, heads, and intake on the Corvette give a little more HP. For example a 2000 LS1 in a Corvette is 345HP and the F-Body is 320HP. The accessories are different and are interchangeable that is with swaping all brackets including the appropriate balancer, in fact the truck accessories will bolt on to any LS1.

Items you need to solve:

I would suggest you purchase a custom engine harness and computer from SpearTech or other harness maker. SpearTech can even set you up with the Corvette drive by wire as that is what I am installing. SpearTech.com

Transmission choice as a 4l60e is electronic and will bolt up to a Corvette LS1 also as it does come in a F-Body or go with manual transmission.

Temp sensor for gauge needs to be connected to passenger head an adapter can be had from S&P www.hotrodlane.cc since it is 12mm thread or just drill and tap.

Oil pressure sensor needs to be added from original car to the adapter above the oil filter on LS1 just drill and tap. Might need to add fittings to move it away from exhaust manifolds. S&P has an oil tree to help.

Motor mounts S&P has some and there are others but most move the engine up and forward to clear chassy items. This works but will push more weight forward. I chose to use John B's setup as his only moves the engine forward 5/8" other than that it appears to be in the stock location. He has done the measuring for you.

Need to fabricate or purchase a transmission crossmember to fit transmission of choice. I purchased a G-Force for the 4l60e with LS1 that has cut outs for exhaust system. Should be a direct bolt on to my El Camino.

Then there are other smaller items to contend with like fuel system upgrade to Fuel Injection (FI), Gas tank, sender, intank pump for 58PSI. Pressure regulator filter setup, return line. Then the dreaded fuel connection on the fuel rail how to connect, various methods.

John B's website gets you the shoping list. Do your homework and solve all issues before you start or at least have some solutions.

I hope this helps. Back to my installation......

James
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jdperk-86elco
I am in the process of installing a LS1 and 4l60e transmission in my 1986 El Camino or G Body. I am using John B's motor mounts and notched F-Body (Camaro/firebird) oil pan. Just did a trial fit and it looks like they both work.

The Corvette LS1 and F-Body LS1 are identical except cam, heads, and intake on the Corvette give a little more HP. For example a 2000 LS1 in a Corvette is 345HP and the F-Body is 320HP. The accessories are different and are interchangeable that is with swaping all brackets including the appropriate balancer, in fact the truck accessories will bolt on to any LS1.

Items you need to solve:

I would suggest you purchase a custom engine harness and computer from SpearTech or other harness maker. SpearTech can even set you up with the Corvette drive by wire as that is what I am installing. SpearTech.com

Transmission choice as a 4l60e is electronic and will bolt up to a Corvette LS1 also as it does come in a F-Body or go with manual transmission.

Temp sensor for gauge needs to be connected to passenger head an adapter can be had from S&P www.hotrodlane.cc since it is 12mm thread or just drill and tap.

Oil pressure sensor needs to be added from original car to the adapter above the oil filter on LS1 just drill and tap. Might need to add fittings to move it away from exhaust manifolds. S&P has an oil tree to help.

Motor mounts S&P has some and there are others but most move the engine up and forward to clear chassy items. This works but will push more weight forward. I chose to use John B's setup as his only moves the engine forward 5/8" other than that it appears to be in the stock location. He has done the measuring for you.

Need to fabricate or purchase a transmission crossmember to fit transmission of choice. I purchased a G-Force for the 4l60e with LS1 that has cut outs for exhaust system. Should be a direct bolt on to my El Camino.

Then there are other smaller items to contend with like fuel system upgrade to Fuel Injection (FI), Gas tank, sender, intank pump for 58PSI. Pressure regulator filter setup, return line. Then the dreaded fuel connection on the fuel rail how to connect, various methods.

John B's website gets you the shoping list. Do your homework and solve all issues before you start or at least have some solutions.

I hope this helps. Back to my installation......

James
Ok I'm doing this conversion but I have the whole truck, why couldn't I use the stock wiring harness. Also what would I have to do to geth the 4l60e to work. And can I just rig the Silverado guages in my truck until I could buy some. I'm in high school and have access to the welding shop with a cnc plasma so i think i could think I could fab up my own crossmember and engine mounts.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Information

Originally Posted by dmurria
Ok I'm doing this conversion but I have the whole truck, why couldn't I use the stock wiring harness. Also what would I have to do to geth the 4l60e to work. And can I just rig the Silverado guages in my truck until I could buy some. I'm in high school and have access to the welding shop with a cnc plasma so i think i could think I could fab up my own crossmember and engine mounts.
You must use the PCM and engine specific harness to run the NEW engine. Also the 4l60E should be included in that harness coming from the PCM for the LS1 or the engine you are installing. You should use your trucks starting harness that connects the battery to the engine starter and from you existing ignition switch. All that stays with the truck.

Gauges should connect to the approprate sensor/transmitters from your old engine. For example the oil pressure guage must connect to an oil pressure sender mounted on the engine. You should use the same stock sender for your old truck engine and mount it on the new engine.

Speedometer if it is electronic can either be connected directly to an output from the PCM or you must purchase a converter box. It it is a cable from the transmission from your old transmission then your best solution is to install a electronic speedo from AutoMeter or other brand for your truck.

I did this conversion back in 2005 and I am still driving the car today. Love the power and reliability.

You can modify the existing NEW engine harness but that is time consuming. I would suggest going with a custom engine harness/transmission harness from a good company. I used Speartech and would recommend his complete turn key solution. There are others out there that is just as good.

James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Swap in Buick Regal...need help