Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch break in

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch break in

Despite the opinions I have gotten from a few car "enthusiasts", I AM going to break-in my clutch. I know, youre surprised. lol But It's going to be done right, on my end, no matter what. Anyway, Ill keep it short and simple.

Here is what I know about the break-in period thus far: 500 miles, stop and go traffic (not highway), with lots of shifting (up and down gears) between low and moderate rpm's. Try not to slip the clutch too much and definitely no launching or banging gears. Here's where my question comes in...

What about medium-distance cruises? Like I hop in the ol T/A and decide to cruise out to the country side about 13 miles away. I know the whole break in period is meant to heat cycle the clutch as many times as possible, but do you think it would hurt it to make maybe some short cruises with straight-through driving and with minimal stop and go opportunities?

I ask because today, March 20th, is my Grandpas birthday. He passed away some time ago in 2001 I believe when I was a child, maybe 9. He is buried out where my dad and sisters were raised by Grandma and Grandpa. Tomorrow is also the first day of Spring and I happen to be picking up the Pontiac, so what better way to get a feel for the new setup than to take a nice cruise out to see Poppa Hop..? Unless it is going to damage my baby, then I guess Ill take the Maxi'.

Just let me know if it can potentially cause any unnecessary damage. I appreciate all input. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i was told, long trips dont hurt, but they dont count as part of the break in miles. Maybe someone can verify that.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^ yeah

clutch break-in is really about the "normal" driving engagement cycles to bed the disc/FW/PP surfaces. Driving for an extended period is no problem but basically does not count towards what most clutch companies say is a 500 mi break-in window. My McCleod twin said 1200 engagement cycles which I assume most manufacturers feel a 500 mi "city" driving condition would cover.

Just drive the car normally without excessive slipping or high RPM clutch dumps for what would amount to 500 mi of city driving. it doesn't matter if you actually took a 500 mi straight highway drive during the break-in period, just know you really need the engagement cycles of normal city driving to really break it in

you really don't want to spend a bunch of $ on a new clutch and immediately go out and bitch slap it
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drive it on the highway, don't count those as break in miles. Other than that, do some stop and go driving and you'll get there eventually
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

So got my car today at about 12:30 pm and drove it until around 10pm. Put 46 miles between a few seperate trips from home to town and back. Drive out to a basketball game and notice my shifter seems kinda loud, maybe like a hissing sound. Forget about it, get to the Family Center to play ball. I leave and get in my car, start it up and immediately i hear that sound again, but now i notice it just when im sitting at idle in neutral, clutch engaged. I push in the clutch and the hissing sound, which i now begin to realize is a spinning sound, slows down and goes away. When i let off of the clutch pedal again, the sound starts again.

My first thought was the pilot bearing, but perhaps its something to do with the flywheel. I dropped the car off as soon as i left there. When i parked it i noticed a real hot smell. It was similar to a clutch or hot brakes smell, but i didnt think it smelled like asbestos.

Also something to note. When i first got the car i had a difficult time rolling out of first without the clutch hitting hard. I kind of figured it would soften up after break in, but instead the car kind of shudders.

Im hoping its something easy and not too labor intensive because i just spent a good chunk of change and dont have another 400 dollars to pay someone to fix it. Since the clutch is aftermarket, they wont warranty the labor, but would you think theyd work with me?

Last edited by KonkeyDong; 03-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Shop told me its part of the new territory, coming from the steel hurst shifter to the aluminum MGW and clutch setup. They told me if it got any worse to bring it back it. Ive got about 270 miles on it so far and nothing else has come to my attention issue-wise.

The clutch seems to chatter if you slowly engage it into any gear, even reverse. Is that also part of this new setup, being that this clutch isnt exactly a "slippable" clutch?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was breaking in new gears and the clutch at the same time. I would just go for about a 30-40 mile evening drive around the suburbs for a couple of weeks, until I got around 500 miles on it.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been purposely driving my car in rush hour traffic past few days and only at 150 miles this week. It's a real killer...hoping to knock out most of my miles tomorrow for a nice long drive. I want to romp on the car...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
So got my car today at about 12:30 pm and drove it until around 10pm. Put 46 miles between a few seperate trips from home to town and back. Drive out to a basketball game and notice my shifter seems kinda loud, maybe like a hissing sound. Forget about it, get to the Family Center to play ball. I leave and get in my car, start it up and immediately i hear that sound again, but now i notice it just when im sitting at idle in neutral, clutch engaged. I push in the clutch and the hissing sound, which i now begin to realize is a spinning sound, slows down and goes away. When i let off of the clutch pedal again, the sound starts again.

My first thought was the pilot bearing, but perhaps its something to do with the flywheel. I dropped the car off as soon as i left there. When i parked it i noticed a real hot smell. It was similar to a clutch or hot brakes smell, but i didnt think it smelled like asbestos.

Also something to note. When i first got the car i had a difficult time rolling out of first without the clutch hitting hard. I kind of figured it would soften up after break in, but instead the car kind of shudders.

Im hoping its something easy and not too labor intensive because i just spent a good chunk of change and dont have another 400 dollars to pay someone to fix it. Since the clutch is aftermarket, they wont warranty the labor, but would you think theyd work with me?
I would get a hissing noise before i installed a new master. It was the clutch not releasing completely.

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
Shop told me its part of the new territory, coming from the steel hurst shifter to the aluminum MGW and clutch setup. They told me if it got any worse to bring it back it. Ive got about 270 miles on it so far and nothing else has come to my attention issue-wise.

The clutch seems to chatter if you slowly engage it into any gear, even reverse. Is that also part of this new setup, being that this clutch isnt exactly a "slippable" clutch?
What kind of clutch? Chatter should go away with break in or after a few good slips. Or it could mean the pressure plate wasn't torqued properly.

My brand new ls6 which i'm still breaking in has a very small amount of chatter. Letting clutch out real slow will make it more pronounced.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

It would be helpful to know more about what clutch you were using or at least what type of disc it has. Some clutches will inherently be more prone to chatter than others and this is often connected to the disc material and the amount of usable surface the disc has. Let me know and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch break in