Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer install, too easy?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer install, too easy?

Hi everyone, I just got done installing a new harmonic balancer on my 2000 ls1. I can't help but think it was too easy, as from what I've read you need like 200+ ft-lbs to get the balancer on. I was ready for this install to be a bitch and a half, but the balancer gave me no problems at all. I was able to get the balancer started by putting it on the crank as evenly as I could by hand, then tapping around the edge of it with a hammer (also as evenly as I could) until I could get the old balancer bolt started in the crank threads. I read that it wasn't smart to use the bolt to torque the 240ft-lbs or whatever it needs, but I wanted to make sure the balancer was evenly seated on the crank. I started torquing the the balancer down with the old bolt, planning to stop whenever it started getting difficult to turn, but it never gave any real resistance. I was able to get the balancer on all the way until it lined up with my other accessory drive components with barely any effort put into the turns of my torque wrench (was pretty easy even with 1 hand). It finally stopped turning after the balancer was lined up. So I figured I just got lucky, tightened it to 37 ft-lbs, then gave it the 140(ish) degrees it needs after the torque spec and put my belt on. The belt looks lined up just fine to me, and I can post pics if anyone asks, but was my install too easy? I don't want this done wrong at all, I'd just like to make sure before I try to start the car.
Thanks in advance to any advice!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Launching!

is this new harmonic balancer a factory replacement? aftermarket? personally i think that was way to easy ive put many on and when installing them it was hard enough to tap them on far enough with a hammer. i had to buy a extra long bolt to pull the balancer on far enough just to use the factory one. mine took the hulk to get it aligned with other pullies and it was moving the car it was soo stiff. these cars throw these alot so make sure its on tight
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds ok to me. I can do it in 10 minutes. I have the correct tools and all. Pull it, install it and torque it.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

It seemed pretty tight on there when I was doing the 140 degree turn, I had to do that part with a hammer and socket wrench and it was giving me a good bit of resistance (enough to turn the crank slightly). I also put a good bit of red loctite on the threads of the new bolt before torquing it, so I'm hoping I did this right. If it helps anything I did take some fine grit sandpaper to the inside of the balancer seat in hopes that it would go on a bit easier.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and it's an aftermarket balancer btw. I'm pretty sure I got it from partsgeek.com, but i've slept since then.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't believe people complain about having to do a crank pulley on an f-body, I did mine in 15-20 minutes when I had my ws6. You guys need to do one on a Vette, that's an all day job haha
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Haha I would imagine, I actually sold my c5 to build this car. I'd have to have a lift if I was going to work with a vette (without going insane) all I have is jackstands and my floor jack to work with.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is not anything you did that could be considered correct. Starting with sanding and then hammering on the balancer to using the old bolt for the final tightening.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

It might not have been "correct", but most of the stuff I do has to be improvised, and would probably be considered incorrect. If you knew what I've had to do to this car and how limited I am, you'd probably wonder how the hell I even got this far. Any problems you could see arising from the way I did this? I know it was wrong but I seriously have no choice but to do it the wrong way.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is when you post your way of doing it, someone else might try and do i that way too and end up with a huge and costly to repair problem on their hands. That person may end up screwing up the threads in their crank or a crank bolt frozen in the end of the crank that won't turn either way. Or breaking the bolt off trying to remove it. Every one of those senarios have been posted here in the past by not following the correct procedure.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe just to be safe, install a new stock crank bolt and re-torque, as in theory the old bolt will already be stretched and not reuseable
Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

I kinda have to post how I did it, otherwise people won't know about what I did. I can't just say "I put my balancer on, did I do it right?" I tried to provide as much info as possible so people don't have to ask questions. Also, I never advised anyone to do what I did. I just honestly had no choice but to do it that way, and knowing that it was the wrong way, I tried to get it as even as possible. I know how much a small difference can make on this, which is why I'm posting here now. I really don't want my car to go to **** after all of the extremely difficult things I've had to do just to be able to work on it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and manzo, I did get a new bolt for it. I just used the old one to try to get the balancer centered on the crank after I tapped it with a hammer since I knew doing it with a hammer wouldn't leave it centered. The new bolt was used after I got everything lined up, then torqued it down.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
maybe just to be safe, install a new stock crank bolt and re-torque, as in theory the old bolt will already be stretched and not reuseable
Who cares about the $20 bolt when you stood a pretty good chance at compromising the threads on a $500+ crankshaft? The threads were meant to be torqed but not to carry the friction load of drawing on a balancer. Thats why ALL balancer installer tools use the crank snout threads in a static fashion and you are wrenching on disposeable threads with either a brass washer and tons of grease or a proper thrust bearing to carry the thrust load.

No bueno.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

It sounds ok to me, I have seen some slip on super easy. I think you just got lucky on it and should get a lotto ticket
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Mark, I don't think what I did would mess up those threads. I know it's not supposed to be torqued using the threads, but man you have no clue how easy it was to get that thing on. I'd estimate I used maybe 10 ft-lbs or around that. I honestly don't think steel would've given way to the small amount of pressure I had to use. I've broken aluminum threads before, which gives me a good idea of how much it would take to break steel threads (I would think anyways, correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

And yeah sopes, that's what I'm hoping for xD
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Due to an oooops on my part I need to change the balancer on my LS2 out of GTO..... what IS the proper way of installing it ......please and thankyou..... also any tips on removing it... the enjyne is in a 77 Trans Am so access is fairly good...Part is on order and here in a week...
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy the pulley install tool and not the cheap *** big bolt and washer one, it takes no more than 2 minutes to get it on with the right tool.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Teching In

any tips on getting it off????? big *** breaker bar and give her....

also on ebay they just show looks like a piece of ready rod and a nut and washer.... is this the rig i need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer install, too easy?