Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTC 4l80 converter install question w/ Reactor flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PTC 4l80 converter install question w/ Reactor flexplate

Ok I know this topic has been beaten to death, however I'm using a CDS/Reactor aluminum flex plate which is thicker than the stock flex plate so its throwing me off a little..

set up is a 4l80 transmission, PTC converter, Reactor flexplate..

here's what I'm looking at, this is route #1

I measured from bellhousing to converter pads at 1'' exactly using a 1/8'' ARP washer between flexplate and converter...

or... route #2

I can put this 3/16'' ARP washer in which should give me a bellhousing to converter pad depth of 1 & 1/16''

and a gap of 3/16'' between converter and flexplate which is about the max recommended gap... but it will give me better converter engagement into the transmission (1 1/16'' vs 1'')

any opinions on this?

isn't pump engagement more important than the converter flexplate gap, and since I have a thicker flexplate that I can't really go by the gaps l see other people run because they are measuring off of their stock flexplates?

lol Im so tired just wanted some experienced advice so I can torque everything tomorrow and get this over with...

thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

While the Reactor flexplate is thicker than an OE one, it is not any taller. Meaning the offset is the same. ~0.575. The number you need to be concerned with is the distance between the flexplate and converter. You want 1/8 - 3/16. That will take care of proper engagement into the trans.

Chris
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok before I torqued the TC down I had a 1/4" gap, so with using the 1/8" washer shown in my first pic that will get me right at 1/8" gap, sound good? Lol

So 1" bellhousing to TC pads doesn't sound too little?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Ok before I torqued the TC down I had a 1/4" gap, so with using the 1/8" washer shown in my first pic that will get me right at 1/8" gap, sound good? Lol

So 1" bellhousing to TC pads doesn't sound too little?
1/8 should be good. The 1" bellhousing to TC pads is more of a check to make sure the converter is seated all the way. I think you are good to go.

Chris

Quick Reply: PTC 4l80 converter install question w/ Reactor flexplate