Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do different exhaust tips make for a different sound?

Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do different exhaust tips make for a different sound?

I currently have the Magnaflow catback with those huge tips and was thinking about changing them. I like the tone of the exhaust though. If I were to replace them with lets say, Borla tips, would the exhaust sound any different because i'm going from a large diameter tip to a dual smaller diameter tip?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it shouldn't change it. If it does, it wont be by much. Might be slightly quieter with smaller diameter tips.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO, if the change was drastic enough, the sound should change. Not that I have any actual engineering knowledge I can apply to this, but imagine blowing across the tops of two bottles, one had a really small opening, one had a really large opening, I would think they would sound differently. Alternatively, I suppose it could happen where the sound would be roughly the same, but with a different quality... yeah, that doesn't make sense, but maybe you'll catch my intention.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know there was a definate sound difference with straight pipes coming out of my loudmouth and putting the dual outlet tips that come with the exhaust. I slid them on and off a few times before tightening the clamps down on them. I just took them off because the rasp is a lot less noticable, less amplified maybe, with the tips off and just straight pipes.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

If I am not mistaken, larger tips can change the tone (almost like a megaphone). And where you point your tips can make a big difference, particularly in how deep the sound is, and how much interior resonance you get. I think pointing them down is supposed to make the sound deeper.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

I just got the Magnaflow catback a couple of days ago. The day after I got it I took it to an exhaust shop and changed the tips to smaller ones. If there is a sound difference, I couldn't tell.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Big tips usually add to resonation from what I understand, I don't care for tips though. I prefer hidden tips similar to an older TPI camaro.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a quick answer, yes the tips will change the sound. If you keep how the tips exit pathway is it won't change as much. Like, if you just cut off the end of the mangaflow tips to allow room for new tips, then the sound will be a lot less then if you did a complete after the muffler set-up.

-Todd
Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

when daniel had the corsa on his car it sounded a lot different from when we had tips and then no tips on the car.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heh, I guess it all depends on how good your hearing is...
Old 09-13-2004, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

The tips are still going to be going out the back. I understand if you get short or no pipes at all that are still under the car that it will cause the tone to be deeper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do different exhaust tips make for a different sound?