Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Intake bolt broke in head!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!! Intake bolt broke in head!

Ok so my friend was torquing the manifold bolts and instead of torquing them to 44in lbs he accidentally torqued it to 44ft lbs and it snapped....it was the 1st bolt in sequence....should i leave it like that or will i have a leak? Or can i take the bolt out? Any help or ideas will help thanks!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

pull the manifold back off and see where it snapped. take some pics and post them on here.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens man i did that once but thats what i get for using a ratchet. So u can't just leave it there and forget about it because it will give u a leak. So is the bolt broke flush into the head or is it sticking out a little bit. If its sticking out u can try to grab it with some needle nose pliers. If its broke flush into the head like the one i had did than ur best bet would be to get a " Easy Out. " A easy out is a set of two types of drill bits. One type is a regular drill bit and the other type is a drill bit without a end face and its reverse fluted. U can get a easy out set for like ten bucks at Harbor Freight and I'm sure u could find a set at any hardware store. Basically u take the regular drill bit and drill a small hole in the center of the broken bolt. Then u take a reverse fluted bit and tap it into the hole u just drilled. Then take a small wrench or adjustable wrench and spin the reversed fluted drill bit counter clockwise. Basically the reverse fluted drill bit tries to drill into the broken bolt but can't because it doesn't have a end face so it essentially just grabs the bolt and spins it out. If u go this route make sure to tape off the intake ports around the broken bolt so when u drill the pilot hole u don't get any metal shavings in ur engine. Once u are done and have extracted the bolt vacuum up all the metal shavings and remove the tape over ur intake port. Also be careful not to break the drill bits because the broken bolt extraction will get a lot harder. Use the 9/32 bit because it works great. Sorry if u know how to use a easy out but i thought i would explain it anyways to help u out. If u need any more info let me know.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Ill take a pic tomorrow when i have time....and thanks for the help man i get nervous though kind of scared that the drill will break but I'll give it a shot thanks for the help sinister!!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Oh and its broken flush to the head!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drill a small hole in it and remove it with an easyout. Simple
Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tape the head ports up if you drill
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sinister_Z28
It happens man i did that once but thats what i get for using a ratchet. So u can't just leave it there and forget about it because it will give u a leak. So is the bolt broke flush into the head or is it sticking out a little bit. If its sticking out u can try to grab it with some needle nose pliers. If its broke flush into the head like the one i had did than ur best bet would be to get a " Easy Out. " A easy out is a set of two types of drill bits. One type is a regular drill bit and the other type is a drill bit without a end face and its reverse fluted. U can get a easy out set for like ten bucks at Harbor Freight and I'm sure u could find a set at any hardware store. Basically u take the regular drill bit and drill a small hole in the center of the broken bolt. Then u take a reverse fluted bit and tap it into the hole u just drilled. Then take a small wrench or adjustable wrench and spin the reversed fluted drill bit counter clockwise. Basically the reverse fluted drill bit tries to drill into the broken bolt but can't because it doesn't have a end face so it essentially just grabs the bolt and spins it out. If u go this route make sure to tape off the intake ports around the broken bolt so when u drill the pilot hole u don't get any metal shavings in ur engine. Once u are done and have extracted the bolt vacuum up all the metal shavings and remove the tape over ur intake port. Also be careful not to break the drill bits because the broken bolt extraction will get a lot harder. Use the 9/32 bit because it works great. Sorry if u know how to use a easy out but i thought i would explain it anyways to help u out. If u need any more info let me know.
Are you sure 9/32 isnt too big ? Just asking
Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Drill a small hole in it and remove it with an easyout. Simple
this would be the method i would try first. just make sure you use a good sharp bit, drill slow, and as straight as you possibly can.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91ls1silverado
Are you sure 9/32 isnt too big ? Just asking
Thats the size that i used from my el cheapo easy out kit. What i did was drill the pilot hole with the smallest bit i had then tapped in the 9/32 easy out in with a mallet. Don't worry about breaking the drill bit just take it slow and u don't need to put a ton of pressure on it to get it to bite. Hey just be happy ur buddy didn't break on of the ones under the cowl. Also I'm gonna say it again like others have said. Please cover ur intake ports before u drill unless u want a new engine. By the way a intake bolt ran me 20 bucks here in social cause i got it from a stealership.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once I had the same issue but my bro broke a valve cover bolt. What I did I welded a small nut that was just a little bigger than the bolt OD. Quick tacks with the mig. I made sure to cover everything up though. Like everybody said tape up the ports. Should come out quick.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Good news guys! I got a screwdriver and tapped it until it started to come out then got the plyers and twisted off!! Thanks everyone for the help!!

Quick Reply: Help!! Intake bolt broke in head!