Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor help!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor help!!!!

Ok so I've had a problem for a while now I have to bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor keep throwing a code I'll post it tomorrow but I replace the sensor and for a while it goes away then comes back like clock work maybe 50 mi I was thinking it was the quality of the brand so I tried many different ones I have acdelco in there right now same code.. Question could back pressure be a cause of the issue I think the code is saying low activity... My reason of thing back pressure is that I have true duels and the left side (bank 1) has lots more back pressure than the right side you can feel the difference in exhaust on either side ... Possible? And I know if I have a head gasket leaking on that side it could be killing that sensor too, but just what I've heard...? Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Load test the wiring, possibly pcm issue
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM

Like voltage drop test?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kind of, use a headlight bulb to test the wiring. Send power down one o2 wire from the pcm connector and ground down the other wire at the pcm connector. Put the headlight bulb inplace of the o2 sensor. If the wiring is good bulb will light bright.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Its not going to be an issue with back pressure. Having switched between multiple sensors ending in the same result its fairly safe to say its not the sensor.

Besides what has already been mentioned-

Vacuum leak or a misfire on that bank will cause the 02 to read lean as well. For the leak if you have a friend with a basic scan tool watch your fuel trim. At idle you will see a large correction in the fuel trim at idle and it will fade back to normal under heavy load.Its only 1 bank so at first they will have a large difference between banks and it will get close under load. You might have to hold it in gear to keep the load on the engine for a few seconds to observe the change.

Another situation I have seen. Aftermarket 02's where the heater element just wont get the damn thing hot enough to read properly. I nearly lost my **** once with that one.

On a serious note be careful sticking things in your harness. You can cause more problems doing so and you will hate life if you do. Get a set of cheap small wire probes and be gentle. Go in the back of the harness and just slide it in the back of the wire. For the love of all that is holy dont poke anything threw the rubber insulation.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to post the code before this can be properly diagnosed .....

heater code ??slow response ??? insufficient switching ?? low volts???? high volts???

what the code # p0XXX
Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great point uscav82.I assumed the OP had wire probes. My bad
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Let me pick up my car at lunch and I'll brig it to work with me and hook up my buddy's modus and I'll give y'all the exact code...
Old 03-06-2014, 01:00 PM

ok o2 sensor codes as follows:

P0140- low o2s activity bank 1 sensor 2
P0154- low o2s activity bank 2 sensor 1
P0160- low o2s activity bank 2 sensor 2
P0155- o2 Heater cirtuit bank 2 sensor 1
p1153- Ho2s Bank 2 sensor 1 insufficient switching

Now i do have the rear o2 sensors unplugged i have no cats and when my exhaust system was done he never put any bungs in which am planning on o2 sensor elimantors

any help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor help!!!!