Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger airbag removal how to?

Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Passenger airbag removal how to?

I was going over the weight reduction list trying to decide on what else I need to remove to lighten up the car. I want to keep the a/c and not give my car a gutted/stripped look. So a lot of the interior pieces Im keeping. Anyhow, Id like to take the passenger side airbag out since I hardly drive the car on the street anyway, muchless have a person with me. So I could use the weight reduction. Besides how to do it, when I remove it, is there going to be a big hole there or will the dash portion still be in tact? I think Ive read when you remove the driver's side that you either have to get the Billingsley piece or aftermarket steering wheel, otherwise youll have a hole there. If theres no how to's out there, can someone give me step by step instructions on the easiest/fastest way to do it? Thanks a lot.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

You can leave the dash intact, but it has to come off to get to the airbag module.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

So the dash has to come out for me to remove the airbag, but the visible portion that is the same color as the interior will stay? How does the dash come out?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
So the dash has to come out for me to remove the airbag, but the visible portion that is the same color as the interior will stay? How does the dash come out?
visible part stays in tact, dash is self explanitory, just start pullin screws
Old 10-11-2004, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club NA

I dont wanna take off anything that isnt necessary, so where do I start? Also, do I have to disarm it or anything, or is it fine to just remove it? I dont want it to go off while uninstalling it.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I dont wanna take off anything that isnt necessary, so where do I start? Also, do I have to disarm it or anything, or is it fine to just remove it? I dont want it to go off while uninstalling it.
90% of the screws are necessary, use a nut driver and it goes alot faster cause they all the same size mostly. pull the top dash pannel off by the windshield and youll see like 5 or 6 across the top of the dash holding it to the firewall, there is a bracket in each lower corner behind teh kick pannels one in the center of the floor in front of the console, you have to loosen the steering wheel support so it almost hangs free, take out the glove box and reach up and disconect the air bag and about a million other snap conectors and then slide teh dash out the passenger side door. piece of cake if you pay attention.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I did want you guys to know that I at least searched for the info before asking the question. I have read lots of threads discussing passenger airbag removal and all answers point to "remove the dash". What is it about the passenger side airbag that makes it impossible to remove with the dash in place? Are there bolts that you cannot get to with the dash in place or is removing the dash necessary for the actual removal? Also, are there any members with pics of the passenger airbag assembly (good enough to determine bolt locations of the bracket itself)? If nothing else, I'm gonna find a wrecked Camaro at a pick-n-pull and play with it's dash and blown airbag module to find out how to pull it. However, if you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by thor2015
Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I did want you guys to know that I at least searched for the info before asking the question. I have read lots of threads discussing passenger airbag removal and all answers point to "remove the dash". What is it about the passenger side airbag that makes it impossible to remove with the dash in place? Are there bolts that you cannot get to with the dash in place or is removing the dash necessary for the actual removal? Also, are there any members with pics of the passenger airbag assembly (good enough to determine bolt locations of the bracket itself)? If nothing else, I'm gonna find a wrecked Camaro at a pick-n-pull and play with it's dash and blown airbag module to find out how to pull it. However, if you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The bag and bracket are physically too big to move out in one piece with the dash in place. I want to say 16"x10"x8" or so
Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, its a HOSS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger airbag removal how to?