Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 headers for a g/body malibu

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 headers for a g/body malibu

I will be doing a ls1 swap soon and was wondering which headers you use in a conversion like this?
Also oil pan modifications would be helpfull as well, as well as a few pics would nice.

Thanks,
Kris
Old 12-24-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

some have modified their oil pan, i did not. i used the stock f-body pan.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
some have modified their oil pan, i did not. i used the stock f-body pan.
Was your swap done to a g/body?
If so do you have any pics?
I'm looking to gather as much info as possible before i venture out to do this.
Thanks,
Kris
Old 12-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.hotrodlane.cc has headers for your application
Old 12-25-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BADBU
Was your swap done to a g/body?
If so do you have any pics?
I'm looking to gather as much info as possible before i venture out to do this.
Thanks,
Kris
sent you a pm.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
sent you a pm.
hey i wanna see your pics. please p.m me
Old 12-26-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand that the Hooker LS1 F-body Long Tubes can be tweaked a bit to work. The drivers side fits bit the passenger side needs some minor modifications of the tubes to fit properly.
Also oil pan modifications would be helpfull as well, as well as a few pics would nice.
I sell the modified pans for $250/exchange. These are a direct bolt-in whne using my motor mounts which sell for $150 for the pair. E-mail me if interested.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by John B
I understand that the Hooker LS1 F-body Long Tubes can be tweaked a bit to work. The drivers side fits bit the passenger side needs some minor modifications of the tubes to fit properly.
I sell the modified pans for $250/exchange. These are a direct bolt-in whne using my motor mounts which sell for $150 for the pair. E-mail me if interested.
John,
Do you have any pics of the pan and mounts?
I'd like to check themout before i send a check out.

If i don't have a pan to exchange at this point how much will the an be without it?
I'm just looking to aquire parts for the swap at this point.
I don't have the motor as of yet.
Do all the lsx motors use the same pans and motor mounts?
Thanks,
Kris
Old 12-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Do you have any pics of the pan and mounts?
Here's the mounts and modified pan pic's:
Attached Thumbnails ls1 headers for a g/body malibu-ls1mtrmnt.jpg   ls1 headers for a g/body malibu-stockfv2nd.jpg  
Old 12-27-2004, 11:15 AM

If i don't have a pan to exchange at this point how much will the an be without it?
A new pan is close to $300. Best bet would be to find a used one and send it to me.
Do all the lsx motors use the same pans and motor mounts?
No, the Camaro, Corvette & trucks all have different oil pans and stock motor mounts.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

To John for his Motor mounts and oil pan mods, perfect fit.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Good to hear a perfect fit

Originally Posted by 86MonteSSLS-1
So you used John B's oil pan and motor mount in a 86 Monte. Was it that easy just bolt up and go? How did you locate the motor to the motor mounts? Did you just use the pre-existing holes for the motor stands or did you have to measure and tweak?

John B if you are reading have you heard if the Street & Performance motor plates work with using the stock motor stands and stock motor mounts. I am just curious if the fit is the same? Is the rubber motor mount you used with your custom motor stands the stock Monte motor mounts.

I think mounting the motor and transmission will be the hard part. Everything else sounds like just detail work.

I to am soaking up information before I start collecting parts. If John B's stuff works out of the box and he has done all of the engineering then that will probably be the way I go.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:05 AM

Was it that easy just bolt up and go?
You have one hole to drill in your frame and the rest is a piece of cake
How did you locate the motor to the motor mounts?
The motor is attached to my motor mounts by the same OEM F-body 12mm x 160mm long bolt that attaches the F-body mount to the steel frame mounts.
Did you just use the pre-existing holes for the motor stands or did you have to measure and tweak?
You just have one hole to drill in your frame crossmember using the new motor mount as the template using an 11/32" drill bit and then use three existing holes in the frame to bolt the mount onto using the same 10mm OEM bolts that hold the SBC mount in place and you're good to go. There is "no tweaking" required! My mounts are engineered units built using precision tooling for exacting reproduction every time.
John B if you are reading have you heard if the Street & Performance motor plates work with using the stock motor stands and stock motor mounts. I am just curious if the fit is the same?
I believe they ae designed to work with the G-body mounts and their plates bolt directly to the LS1 block. I can't really speak to their fitment since I haven't used them before but I can tell you their is no major floor board rework required with my motor mounts and I have heard people tell me that a T56 installation requires major floorpan rework with the S&P mounts.
Is the rubber motor mount you used with your custom motor stands the stock Monte motor mounts.
No, my mounts require the use of the F-body rubber mounts which are bolted tot he LS1 block.
I think mounting the motor and transmission will be the hard part. Everything else sounds like just detail work.
Using my modified pan and motor mounts you can use a G-Force dual exhaust crossmember for an exact bolt-in fit.

I spent countless hours tweaking the design of my mounts/oil pan mod to ensure that the LS1 motor was as close as possible to the OEM location of the SBC to ensure maximum floorboard clearance and equal front end/side to side weight distribution by striving to locate the motor in the same spot GM designed it to be in AND have everything simply bolt in place......bottom line, mission accomplished and I'm not sure any other vendor can make this claim with their G-body retrofit kit!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I can verify, John's mounts and oil pan along with a G-Force crossmember is just bolt and go.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 swap

In theory the parts for a 86 MC should work for a '79 Malibu? If that is the case a 5.3L/4l60 driver might be in my future soon.

Ripster
Old 01-20-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default motor mounts and oil pan

Well john i see your motor mounts and oil pan is a success. Im planning on putting a twin turbo ls1 408 iron block in my 79 malibu. i got the motor all i need now is what your selling. the mounts and oil pan. I was wandering if i can use your motor mounts with solid frame mounts, is that possible or do i have to go with the regular frame mounts. I was gonna put this motor in my 96 firebird but it would be wicked to see a quiet malibu pull to the light with 800hp and people not knowing what they just got themselfs in to.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 PM

I was wandering if i can use your motor mounts with solid frame mounts, is that possible or do i have to go with the regular frame mounts.
If the solid mounts only replace the rubber portion of the factory mounts they'll work perfect!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Back on topic--Exhaust manifolds questions

If the F-body exhaust manifold with the cats will not fit my 1986 El Camino G-body then what are my options?

I have seen a picture of S&P G-body shorty headers has anyone used these and what about cats how do I bolt them on or find others to use. I want to retain the cats to be emissions legal.

Any other options?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:52 PM

If the F-body exhaust manifold with the cats will not fit my 1986 El Camino G-body then what are my options?
They will fit with minor mods. If you'd like, PM me and I can make you a deal on my stock exhaust manifolds (O2 sensor modified to fit) and the CATs that go with them.

Quick Reply: ls1 headers for a g/body malibu