Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Torque Tube, who can lengthen one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Torque Tube, who can lengthen one?

I have a complete Z06 driveline that I am putting in a 35 Chevy coupe. Getting the engine and suspensions mounted are the easy parts, what I need now is a source for the machine work needed to extend the torque tube 5 inches. I have seen a few cars with this setup but unfortuantely have never been able to speak to the owner/builder to see who did the work.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I have a complete Z06 driveline that I am putting in a 35 Chevy coupe. Getting the engine and suspensions mounted are the easy parts, what I need now is a source for the machine work needed to extend the torque tube 5 inches. I have seen a few cars with this setup but unfortuantely have never been able to speak to the owner/builder to see who did the work.

check out "rides" with Jay Leno
Old 03-11-2005, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

I heard that Jay Leno has a car with an LS6/C5 driveline...is that the Toronado? I looked at the TV listings for "Rides" but couldn't tell which show featured that car.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I heard that Jay Leno has a car with an LS6/C5 driveline...is that the Toronado? I looked at the TV listings for "Rides" but couldn't tell which show featured that car.

The show is called "tonight's ride" it was and it was on again yesterday. The car has a c5 rearend and modified c5 torque tube. But the engine is still a mystery to me. They state that it is a concept 425ci small block from gm. At first I thought it was a reworked ls7 but I think it may be a stroked ls2. Either way it is twin turbo with more than 1000fwhp.

here is a link to the show schedule,but the "tonights ride" is on it for the next couple of weeks

http://tlc.discovery.com/schedule/se...57&channel=TLC
Old 03-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Back to the thread....I am also interested in who can lengthen the torque tube as well because I eventually plan on swapping a complete c5 drivetrain into a infiniti g35 to make my impression of what the gto should have been:

a good looking, 3200 lb.,excellent handling drivers car.
Attached Thumbnails C5 Torque Tube, who can lengthen one?-dsc_0134.jpg  
Old 03-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by keene1bj
Back to the thread....I am also interested in who can lengthen the torque tube as well because I eventually plan on swapping a complete c5 drivetrain into a infiniti g35 to make my impression of what the gto should have been:

a good looking, 3200 lb.,excellent handling drivers car.

of course in black with no stickers. BTW I know the car weights almost 3500lb stock but with subtle weight reduction 3200lb is not unobtainable.

Last edited by keene1bj; 03-11-2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add more content
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There aren't many C5 owners posting so I'll take a stab here and I do not claim to be an expert.

I would not try to lengthen the Tq Tube. The stock prop shaft in the Tq. Tube can whip which is why the Tq Tubes for manual trans cars have a rubber disc in the middle. The whipping will eat up the rubber couplers at the ends of the prop shaft and the extra length would magnify the problem. I had to replace a Tq Tube in my C5 at 75k miles due to the couplers failing and 2 other locals with close milage have also been into their Tq Tubes lately.

If you do try it I would get a custom made carbon fiber prop shaft. LG is the only shop selling one now for C5s. I have one in my C5, a very high quality piece. Jay Leno's car looked to have a carbon fiber prop shaft from watching Rides the other night. A local company has also made couplers from a stiffer material to reduce the whipping. http://www.lamarwaldenautomotive.com/ made the couplers. I do not belive they are being marketed to the public yet and any sold are installed in shop. You may want to give them a call about extending the tq tube. Ask for Rob. I am not the Lamar that Lamar Walden Automotive is named for nor do I have any affiliation with the shop.

If the 35 Chevy were mine I'd try swapping an aftermarket 9" chunk or 8.8 chunk from a Cobra or Explorer with the C5 Suspension and a tradition F-body trans. I think it would be a much more durable and easier swap. However I do understand the factor of a complete C5 chassis.

Last edited by 93Polo; 03-12-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

I already have a 50 Merc with a C4 ZR1 IFS/IRS and a 2002 LS1 A4...so I thought that I would try something different with the 35 Chevy and go the full C5 route with the LS6 and MM6.
Polo has raised a good point, I hadn't opened up the torque tube, I guess that I was assuming that the propeller shaft went straight through with just a bearing on each end to hold it in place. I pulled up my C5 parts breakout and sure emough there are quite a few more parts inside that torque tube than I would have imagined.
Grafalloy is just around the corner from me, they used to build Prince tennis rackets and now they build carbon-fiber golf club shafts. I bet I could get them to build a propeller shaft to spec for me. This project is getting more interesting...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Teching In

i havent seen one that has been lengthened, but someone put a shortened torque tube in a Ferrari 250 GTO replica (94.5" wheelbase) with a MASSIVE set back. they said it was quite a task because of the AlMMC. it seems to me that only the tube itself is made of the aluminum ceramic composite and the end housings are solid aluminum with the tube chemically/forcably bonded. an aluminum tube might be possible and "simply" weld it between the ends
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Default longer torque tube...

i know someone who had his done, i think his is about 3 or 4 inches. check out....

www.t56kit.com

the contact info is there to talk with the guy... he is cool, and its going to be a sweet *** car when its done. can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by renegademike928
i know someone who had his done, i think his is about 3 or 4 inches. check out....

www.t56kit.com

the contact info is there to talk with the guy... he is cool, and its going to be a sweet *** car when its done. can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks for the contact. That Wayne Due chassis setup on the ATS website looks killer...Gen 1 that runs and handles like a C5...WOW!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by renegademike928

www.t56kit.com

He is also a regular on http://www.pro-touring.com/
Old 03-15-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to shorten my torque tube several inches. Also there are 2 dirrerant models of torque tube.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Neal Lea, at Rod's and Resto's can. 256-927-2199 He built the C55 1955 Chevy two years ago that was in all the mags. Had all C5 chassis under it.

Scott
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah, my car has had this done as Mike posted earlier. The guy who did it was in Northern Oregon, and we actually sourced the same size tube the orginial was made with , and fabbed up a whole new tube from scratch. Call Wayne Due to get the info of the guy who peformed this mod.
http://www.waynedue.com

Tyler
Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Teching In

check with tommy @ gamel street rods. he is well known for torque tube modifications. he is a reputable guy. he did a great job on my c6.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is a link of a place I heard of:
http://www.c5-c6torquetube.com/

Quick Reply: C5 Torque Tube, who can lengthen one?