New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter which terminal you disconnect on the battery when working on the car?

Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it matter which terminal you disconnect on the battery when working on the car?

I am about to do some work on the car and should disconnect the battery. However, I hate disconnecting the negative terminal because I always end up touching the rachet with the positive terminal somehow and making sparks. So is there anything I can do to make this easier or can I just remove the positive terminal? How about put electric tape over the positive terminal so I don't touch it? I always get freaked out when touching the battery.

Jason
Old 03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Teching In

I take both off when I work on my carand tuck them down behind away from everything
Old 03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Just be careful and ALWAYS disconnect the POSITIVE terminal first. Keep the battery grounded (negative is ground). Try not to touch the positive wire on metal as it possibly could be holding some charge after you disconnect it. If you are completely **** about it, you could wrap some electrical tape around the connection. The rule of thumb while dealing with electronics is:

1. Connect NEGATIVE (-) first and then connect POSITIVE (+).

2. Disconnect POSITIVE (+) first and then disconnect NEGATIVE (-) if you need to.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by FrozenMonkey
Just be careful and ALWAYS disconnect the POSITIVE terminal first. Keep the battery grounded (negative is ground). Try not to touch the positive wire on metal as it possibly could be holding some charge after you disconnect it. If you are completely **** about it, you could wrap some electrical tape around the connection. The rule of thumb while dealing with electronics is:

2. Disconnect POSITIVE (+) first and then disconnect NEGATIVE (-) if you need to.
I disagree. There's a better chance of grounding the positive to something else than there is with the negative. After all, usually the only thing near the negative terminal is the positive terminal. With the positive terminal you've got virtually everything else (including yourself if you're against a metal part).
IMHO.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrozenMonkey

You're joking right?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimmyxBly
I am about to do some work on the car and should disconnect the battery. However, I hate disconnecting the negative terminal because I always end up touching the rachet with the positive terminal somehow and making sparks. So is there anything I can do to make this easier or can I just remove the positive terminal? How about put electric tape over the positive terminal so I don't touch it? I always get freaked out when touching the battery.

Jason
Check your auto parts stores, because I have heard of a connection that you add to the battery terminals and this devise will allow by the turn of a switch to shut the battery off - summit, jegs, should have something too.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont ever use your battery to lay wrenches on ( dont flame) you probably know this ,I found out the hard way. Funny as **** tho
Old 03-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I was wiring a plow one night at work at about 11:pm(after 16 hours). really tired. I hooked the + to the battery, then went to hook it to the plow solenoid. I accidently hit the fender. I love battery welding!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Always disconnect your ground first and reconnect it last. NOT your positive.

Edited. (Reconnect the ground last)

Last edited by Dal1as; 03-28-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have always heard.

Disconect the Ground First, and Reconnect the Ground LAST

This makes the most sense as far as accidental arcing is concerned.

Ryan
Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Always disconnect the ground first and connect it last. That way you don't risk shorting the wrench to ground when working on the positive. That's one of the first things you learn, sometimes the HARD way!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
I have always heard. Disconect the Ground First, and Reconnect the Ground LAST. This makes the most sense as far as accidental arcing is concerned. Ryan
This is what I've always heard and done. But someone knowledgeable was telling me the opposite recently. Could it be different for PCM/electronics cars? I can't think of a reason why ...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Removing: Negative first, then Positive
Installing: Positive first, then Negative
Old 03-27-2005, 11:23 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

when I am working on the car I remove the negative.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remove the ground.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Z28 Camaro
Dont ever use your battery to lay wrenches on ( dont flame) you probably know this ,I found out the hard way. Funny as **** tho

But it make such a nice shelf! Especially top post batteries

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does it matter which terminal you disconnect on the battery when working on the car?