Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How to determine value of used Snap On tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to determine value of used Snap On tools

I have a chance to buy some used Snap On hand tools. Mostly ratchets, combi wrenches, srewdrivers, pliers... basic hand tools. My question is, assuming the tools are in good shape, no engravings, etc, is there a general rule of thumb as to how much they are worth? Would 50% of new cost be fair? Too much? Too little?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Compare to the cost of craftsman or husky. New they are like 10 times the price. I think way too much.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know that they are more expensive, and I probably wouldn't spent the money to buy them new. However, if I can get some used Snap On for close to the same money of new craftsman/husky, I'd prefer Snap On hands down. Basically, I want to know how much these tools hold their value when used. I want to have a number in my head when the seller gives me his price.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Regular

Why Snap On hands down? If you dont know thw value of them, and ask here, you couldnt possably know the difference between the snap on and chraftsman. I wrench on lots of stuff and love my chraftsman tools. I use snap ons at work and dont love them any more. For my own use I pefer the chrastman. they are a lot easer to return if any thing happens to them. If you don't abuse them, you will be hard pressed to ruin eaven a screwdriver. I have ruined a few rachets but sears has been happy to replace them that very day. as for snap on, good luck trying to find a truck and they dont have any slection of tools at the world head quarters here in MI. If you need to buy anything that doesn't come in the tools you have been offered, it could cost you far more then a hole set of craftsman. I will say if you said you would be getting specialty tools like pullers snap ring plyers, gauges and ring compressors then I would perfer them over craftman. Sorry for the slam but I love my tools LOL
Old 04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a few sets of metric wrench's and paid 40% of new cost... and that was after a little haggling with the snap on dude.. you can find some good deals on repo stuff everyonce and awhile.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

No offense 70ChevelleConv.LS1, but you completely missed the point of my post. I have used Snap-On, Craftsman, and others. You have no idea what I could or "couldn't possibly know" about the quality of these tools. I completely understand the quality difference between them. I don't need anyone to tell me the pros and cons of different brands.

All I was asking was, from a buyers point of view, what can I expect to pay for these tools USED. I, personally, prefer used Snap On over new Craftsman, considering they are still in good shape.

CTSmechanic, thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:20 PM
>X<
On The Tree

i've seen used snap on for 60% of cost at the pawn shops. anything near 50%, especially under, would be a steal.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I would try to get them for around of a little under 50% depending on the condition. I can get 20 year old Snap-on stuff (but still unused) for about 50%.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry for my asumption of what you know. The point I was trying to make had more to do with you getting a MIS MATCH set of tools. You didnt say you have some Snap On's now or that this will compleet your set of tools, or that you will have 1/2 a set of Husky's and haf a set of Snap On's. So I offered you some insight on the total outcome of the price of completeing a Snap On set, compaired to a Craftsman set. Why save 75% on half a set to only spend 500% more on the outstanding tools ot complete the set. Too on the rair ocasion I did damage a tool that I needed to do the job, Sears is open late and 7 days a week.
I am 275 lbs and very strong I have pulled on alot of wrenches and rechets and have damaged few..... No offence taken, Have a good day
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Anything less than list is good. Snap on's are the best, hands down. I would shoot for 50% of list.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The snap-on guy on the truck only gives 30 cents on the dollar for used snap-on tools, what a rip huh. Buy it at 100%, and trade it back in the same day and they'll only give you 30 cents on the dollar.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Go to www.ebay.com and see what they are bidding for at auction. This will tell you how much an independent third party is willing to pay for used Span-On tools...

Last time I looked they were going for more than 50% of the cost as new.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Being a Snap On dealer is no easy way to make a living, being a Mac or Matco is as bad or worse. The dealer can buy new from corporate for about 65-70% of list. Not a lot of margin. That said how much do you think he can give an individual for used trade. Used Snap-On is generally worth 50-65% of list if in good condition. Therefore the dealer can only give you about 30-40% of list in trade if he has any chance of making a profit on your used stuff. Re: Snap-On vs Craftsman, Service, Finish, Metallurgy, Credit, and Re-sale are a few reasons people choose Snap-On or Mac or Matco over Sears.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of us here wrench on stuff all the time. If you think Snap On quality isn't leaps and bounds above 99% of it's competition, your shop probably looks a lot like a scrap yard. Is the quality worth the original asking price? That's why I call him the STRAP ON MAN. 50% is great. I may be fixing to sell quite a collection of Snap On stuff including some battery powered stuff. I will be asking 50% of new.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 PM

I also forgot to mention the warranty. You have a choice between tools with a "lifetime warranty" and tools that rarely break unless totally abused. Professionals usually choose the latter which would be Snap On.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Check ebay and compare, but in my area used Snap Ons are normally 60%-70% of it being new on Craigslist, OfferUp, and Pawn Shops are jokes. Maybe they are expecting some haggling, but I don't know.
I also live in Houston where a lot of plant workers and blue collar jobs are, so tools probably hold their value more.
Also consider if you will even be able to use the tools.
Just don't buy them, because they say Sappy. Buy what you need.

Fyi, used F80 rachets are going for $60-80 here, but I just bought a new one on ebay for $60 including shipping. Deals are out there.

If I could get them for 50-55% I would buy them.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I just noticed this guy posted back in 2005...
Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 AM

Great tools but way over priced. Worth it on your situation to get them half off tho
Old 01-29-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I consider Snap On better than Craftsman,but only slightly better. The Snap On Blue Point line is manufactured off-shore,just like Craftsman. I'm always watching out for 6 point box wrenches and sockets in both Snap On and Craftsman at pawn shops and swap meets. Be surprised what you'd find mixed in boxes of wrenches and sockets.
Where I work,part time mornings at a Tuffy automotive center,we break Snap On stuff just as much as we break the other brands.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sockets, wrenches and **** like that with no moving parts..........I typically buy Craftsman or sometimes even the garbage that Harbor Freight sells. I have found that when it comes to ratchets though......Snapon, Mac or Matco is a worthwhile upgrade.

Quick Reply: How to determine value of used Snap On tools