Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid mounted ls1 with t56 transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mid mounted ls1 with t56 transaxle

I was reading an old post about this but it didn't seem like anyone had actually done this. I gave up on trying to get my first gen to handle like a corvette so im starting with a blank slate.

I will eventually be building a complete one off mid engined super car, tube chassis, fiberglass body, etc and due to its popularity I will be using a c5 (or c6 by the time i actually start building) as a donor due to the enormous ammount of aftermarket parts and knowledgeable enthusiests, so I would like to use the engine of corse but also the transaxle, I know that porsche transaxles would work but I would trust the t56 muuuch more with the power I will be throwing at it, and as it is completely custom the lenth is of little consiquence.

Few questions, where could I find the dimensions and weight of the transaxle as well as a ls1, how if at all could the shift linkage be made to work, how would the engine actually mate to the transaxle (I would assume to replace necessary components with those from a camaro t56)
Old 04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Teching In

i admire your faith in the t56 gearbox, lol. unfortunately, you would most likely have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 feet between the front of the engine and the rear axles if you went that roue, no to mention you would need some ridiculously expensive one-off parts to actually adapt a rear housing to a t56 and a shift linkage would be almost impossible. after all the money spent, it would have been cheaper to get an RBT 6-speed http://www.pim.net/rbt6.html or a ZF 5DS-25/2 5-speed straight-cut dog box that can handle 1500hp with street tires. but hey, good luck...lol
Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

First check this thread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/295617-using-c5-vette-suspension-how-do-i-get-all-factory-pickups-retain-geometry.html
Second, why would you want a mid-engine? The LS engines are wide and low so there is little to be gained in the way of hood height. The C5 transaxle/driveline was designed specifically to move more of the front end weight to the rear resulting in an almost optimum weight ratio.
Finally, the C5 has either an MM6 or an MM12 6-spd...no T56. Just terminology but it does help keep the discussion on track.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Launching!

I bet there is a way to use the F-body transmission, and bolt it to the Corvette Diff. That way you can bolt everything together WITHOUT a driveshaft.

I have an entire Corvette drivetrain laying in my shop, and can make measurements if your serious about this. I don't know the exact differences in the way the T56's are assembled (Corvette, Camaro, GTO, Viper), but the internals are the same, and there is a good chance the ends of the casings might interchange.

Dave

david.farmer "at" metricchemical.com
Old 04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in planning
Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

sspeedracer-if youre saying the gtm uses a mm6 or mm12 (is that better?) it actually dosen't, "The transmission is selected to be the Porsche G-50 transaxle mated to the Chevy V-8 via a FFR machined flywheel adapter plate." also if you look at the pic its obviously not a mm6 or mm12, however I bet they tried and gave up because of theese same reasons.

Correct me if im wrong but I am under the impression that the diff on the transaxle is in place of a tailhousing, so as everyone has been throwing around could I get a f-body t56 and put the irs and diff from the mm6 or mm12 in place of the tailshaft. Also I havent dealt with any 6 speeds let alone trans axles etc, but i seem to rember the linkage being internal for the ls1 t56 and the shifter coming right out of the tailshaft, anyone have any ideas on howto get that about 5 feet forward not to mention around the engine.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

if you REALLY want to use a T56 and the standard T56 shifter, find someone that can rig up a remote shifter using pneumatic rams for side/side and front/back movement and have it controlled by an electric (controls the valves which control the rams) sequential shifter. lots of extra weight but no mechanical linkage to engineer. or you could go the ZF route which is designed to go around an engine and has the diff much closer to the engine. lol
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ilovefirstgens
sspeedracer-if youre saying the gtm uses a mm6 or mm12 (is that better?) it actually dosen't, "The transmission is selected to be the Porsche G-50 transaxle mated to the Chevy V-8 via a FFR machined flywheel adapter plate." also if you look at the pic its obviously not a mm6 or mm12, however I bet they tried and gave up because of theese same reasons.

Correct me if im wrong but I am under the impression that the diff on the transaxle is in place of a tailhousing, so as everyone has been throwing around could I get a f-body t56 and put the irs and diff from the mm6 or mm12 in place of the tailshaft. Also I havent dealt with any 6 speeds let alone trans axles etc, but i seem to rember the linkage being internal for the ls1 t56 and the shifter coming right out of the tailshaft, anyone have any ideas on howto get that about 5 feet forward not to mention around the engine.
I don't know anything about a t56 but on my ultima I used a g50/50 trans axle. The shifter linkage goes from the back of the trans around the motor and into the cockpit. I used the ultima supplied factory linkage with some minor mods. YOu can also buy a cable shifted 6 speed transaxle. You might want to talk to roger at www.phii.net about transaxles.

mark
Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave F
I bet there is a way to use the F-body transmission, and bolt it to the Corvette Diff. That way you can bolt everything together WITHOUT a driveshaft.

I have an entire Corvette drivetrain laying in my shop, and can make measurements if your serious about this. I don't know the exact differences in the way the T56's are assembled (Corvette, Camaro, GTO, Viper), but the internals are the same, and there is a good chance the ends of the casings might interchange.

Dave

david.farmer "at" metricchemical.com
I think you would have to use a Corvette main shaft and tail housing. Is the front plate that bolts to the bell housing on the corvette the same as f-body/GTO?

A 4L60E has been mated directly to the motor and using a C5 diff. Check out:
http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_...west_corv8.htm

Quick Reply: mid mounted ls1 with t56 transaxle