Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How much would it cost to completely change the color of an f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much would it cost to completely change the color of an f-body?

Lets say I wanted to change my car's color from pewter to black, what would be a fair price for a job like this? I'd like the car to look like it was painted from the factory. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from anyone who has done it (or anyone who knows how much it would cost).
Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of money. To COMPLETELY repaint the car, the car would have to be COMPLETELY disassembled (motor pulled, some interior pieces, windows, weatherstrip, etc), prepped, painted, and COMPLETELY reassembled. It would probably take 2 weeks in a body shop and run approximately $3-4k depending on the quality of paint being used. Spies hecker and other high end paints cost a lot of money. The majority of the cost is the labor involved in disassembling and reassembling the car. Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 0fbody0
A lot of money. To COMPLETELY repaint the car, the car would have to be COMPLETELY disassembled (motor pulled, some interior pieces, windows, weatherstrip, etc), prepped, painted, and COMPLETELY reassembled. It would probably take 2 weeks in a body shop and run approximately $3-4k depending on the quality of paint being used. Spies hecker and other high end paints cost a lot of money. The majority of the cost is the labor involved in disassembling and reassembling the car. Hope this helps.

Andy

At a GOOD shop, with the right paint, including jams, under the hood...WAY more then 3-4 grand....more like 6-8K.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BluCamSS
At a GOOD shop, with the right paint, including jams, under the hood...WAY more then 3-4 grand....more like 6-8K.
I'm not disagreeing but I was just giving him a ballpark. If he wanted to, he could drop $15k on a professional concours paint job. The $3-4k I stated above is probably the minimum a shop will do a full dip for. It's a lot of labor.

Andy
Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I figured as much, thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

What about if you...did the disassembly yourself; suppose that the car was already stripped because of an overhaul?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

What about- WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT! lol if you want black trade it in or buy one- pewter is an amazing color Keep It
Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

earl shieb will do it for $199. minus the disassemble. they will also paint your windows and exhaust tips for free.........
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
they will also paint your windows and exhaust tips for free.........

Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maaco quoted me ~$1,500, that includes the door jams, under the hood, etc.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Compstall
From what I've seen them do around here, they don't exactly do the highest quality work.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turo
From what I've seen them do around here, they don't exactly do the highest quality work.
Maaco

If you go to good shop, they can shoot pretty well around your engine bay, especially since you want black, its too easy... the shadows that the motor and accessories cast make it much harder to see inconsistencies under the hood. Getting jams done are a must, otherwise your car looks cheap. I had a complete color change from NBM to this pepper gray metallic, with some custom work on the hood, and it ran me about 3,500 for the total job. This is with high-end Sikkens paint. Get prices and most importantly look at their products. Good luck, its like getting a whole new car if its done right
Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Some of the Maaco paint jobs around here look like they have been done by pre-schoolers w/ water colors. Im w/ UltraZ, being you want it from pewter to black engine bay shouldnt be too hard. The jambs and rear hatch are going to be the butt kicker. I agree w/ everyone else, 3-5k should get you a "good" paintjob w/ that being doubled for a really good job.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1UltraZ
Maaco

If you go to good shop, they can shoot pretty well around your engine bay, especially since you want black, its too easy... the shadows that the motor and accessories cast make it much harder to see inconsistencies under the hood. Getting jams done are a must, otherwise your car looks cheap. I had a complete color change from NBM to this pepper gray metallic, with some custom work on the hood, and it ran me about 3,500 for the total job. This is with high-end Sikkens paint. Get prices and most importantly look at their products. Good luck, its like getting a whole new car if its done right
Wow, that's a lot better price than I imagined, good stuff. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm not even sure if I want to change the color, some days I love it and other days it looks a bit 'plain'. I just wanted to have an idea for the future, in case I convince myself.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turo
Wow, that's a lot better price than I imagined, good stuff. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm not even sure if I want to change the color, some days I love it and other days it looks a bit 'plain'. I just wanted to have an idea for the future, in case I convince myself.
It's a bit plain b/c you NEED TO MOD IT!!!!!!! If you can't produce a receipt of a mind altering exterior mod (wheels, lowering, berger panel, grill, hood, spoiler) you have purchased within the next day I'm going to be pissed
Old 06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
Some of the Maaco paint jobs around here look like they have been done by pre-schoolers w/ water colors. Im w/ UltraZ, being you want it from pewter to black engine bay shouldnt be too hard. The jambs and rear hatch are going to be the butt kicker. I agree w/ everyone else, 3-5k should get you a "good" paintjob w/ that being doubled for a really good job.
Yep, it really depends on the guy behind the spray gun. The Maaco down here does a pretty good job.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Compstall

. . . . . too funny . . .

My color change was $8,000. . . . you get exactly what you pay for.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go out and find someone who sprays cars well and make an effort to become best friends with him.... That will cut your cost at least a third
Old 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1UltraZ
go out and find someone who sprays cars well and make an effort to become best friends with him.... That will cut your cost at least a third
So is that why everyone wants to be my best friend? Damn i thought i was just cool to hang out with
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It's a bit plain b/c you NEED TO MOD IT!!!!!!! If you can't produce a receipt of a mind altering exterior mod (wheels, lowering, berger panel, grill, hood, spoiler) you have purchased within the next day I'm going to be pissed
Haha, I know I know, I'm lacking in the appearance department. After I buy a rearend I promise, rims are next

Originally Posted by stryker14
So is that why everyone wants to be my best friend? Damn i thought i was just cool to hang out with
Damn stryker, I saw a car painted almost as badass as yours, that's actually what got me to thinking of a color change. Badass job!

Quick Reply: How much would it cost to completely change the color of an f-body?