Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise when clutch engaged?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when clutch engaged?????

My car makes a wierd almost like a whining sound when i engage my clutch. My friends 02 Trans Am doesnt do it, so i figure its not normal. We were wondering what it could be... any ideas? Its not excessively loud but you can definetly hear it without the radio on....
Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Is it a squeak when you first get the car moving?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Is it when you press the clutch pedal down (dis-engaged) or when you let the pedal up (engaged) that this noise starts? If it's when you press the pedal down, it'd be something like the throwout bearing (ie, slave cylinder assembly). If it happens when you begin to let the pedal up, I'd be suspecting contaminants on the disk,pressure plate, or flywheel, (or even a worn out disk that has a rivet contacting the flywheel or pressure plate.) under normal operation. A spring or other component floating around in there could make noises as well, but it sounds to me like a throwout bearing
Old 08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Transam64
Is it when you press the clutch pedal down (dis-engaged) or when you let the pedal up (engaged) that this noise starts? If it's when you press the pedal down, it'd be something like the throwout bearing (ie, slave cylinder assembly). If it happens when you begin to let the pedal up, I'd be suspecting contaminants on the disk,pressure plate, or flywheel, (or even a worn out disk that has a rivet contacting the flywheel or pressure plate.) under normal operation. A spring or other component floating around in there could make noises as well, but it sounds to me like a throwout bearing
Im guessing i should just swap the clutch if im going to change the throwout bearing right?

How imperitive do you think it is that i have this changed?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Transam64
64 is exactly right.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Yep.....while the trans is out at least inspect it, but for $360 ( Z06 upgrade )it's not a bad idea just to replace it.

Quick Reply: Noise when clutch engaged?????