Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

6 speed auto transmission w\paddle shift

Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 6 speed auto transmission w\paddle shift

I just took one of the new 2006 Corvettes with the new six speed automatic transmission with paddle shift mode out for a test drive. I am not much of a fan of the auto trans in any Corvette but the new one is kind of nice. The car using the old seat of the pants dyno is about the same in quickness when compared to the outgoing 4 speed auto. To me it seems very close in acceleration. But someone with some timing equipment will have to give the fractions of a second difference in the two transmissions. The paddle shift is a nice toy and gives the driver a little more control than the last trans did. When you are in the paddle shift mode and you are in 6th gear the car will down shift as you come to a stop. But only to 2nd gear. You must use the paddle to put it in 1st gear. It is a good novelity item for those who like the auto trans but for me I would much rather have the 6 speed manual. GM found a good maketing strategy for selling the auto transmission. It used to be a no cost option but now there is a $1250 charge for the option of having a auto trans Corvette.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess more people will start getting a MT like they all should come.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A six speed auto would be bad a$$ as long as gearing in the trans is decent. If you throw a stall converter in it, it should still get pretty good gas mileage compared to a 4 speed auto. Throw a shift kit and a stall converter in it and it would be very nice. What speed to it seem to shift into 5 or 6th gears at?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

under full throttle it would be way over 100 mph..I didn't do any high speed testing in the car
Old 09-22-2005, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

I'll wait for some figures, but the Ford Mustang GTfive speed auto is equal in times as a professionally driven six speed[ Motor Trend] Never ever thought I'd say something good about an Aode.Which means most GT sticks will have their *** handed to them by some girl in an auto. Oh the shame of it.By the way the Corvette six speed auto does not have a torque converter as we know it.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lost
I'll wait for some figures, but the Ford Mustang GTfive speed auto is equal in times as a professionally driven six speed[ Motor Trend] Never ever thought I'd say something good about an Aode.Which means most GT sticks will have their *** handed to them by some girl in an auto. Oh the shame of it.By the way the Corvette six speed auto does not have a torque converter as we know it.

You don't really beleive the BS that MT prints do you.. ..most of the road test in the auto rags are a joke..
Old 09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

At least Motor Trend tests both autos and sticks, no other mag does...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

At least Motor Trend tests both autos and sticks, no other mag does...

If I have any interest in a car I put my *** in the driver's seat..I do not rely on the BS the the car rags spew..they always have some sort of agenda and a slant to their reports..I have read evaluations that were no where close the the way the car really drove.

Last edited by slt200mph; 09-23-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Well I like their description of the new ZO6, a race car with a place to put a license plate, or something like that.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't hate on the auto's too much. I love driving a manual but my auto is much more convenient cruising around town. And it's tuff to beat an auto with a stall at the strip. Anyway, I like how they are marketing the new vette, although some think it should only be made in manual GM has to do what they have to do to sell more cars and bring bigger and better technology to us. I would think the auto with paddle shifters would sell even with the extra price tag considering you could almost have the convience of an auto with the fun of a manual when you want it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I like their description of the new ZO6, a race car with a place to put a license plate, or something like that.

They stole that line from me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 speed auto transmission w\paddle shift