Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do I get the most bass from the door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the most bass from the door speakers?

I have a good Sony head unit and a sub in the trunk. The rest is stock amp and stock speakers. Because I have a convertible I want as much bass as possible coming from the front speakers, the trunk mounted sub dissappears at highway speeds.

I currently have to set my high pass filter on the fronts at 99 Hz or else the stock speakers start to blat out with too much bass. I tried a pair of Polk 650db speakers and while they do a bit better, the distortion starts at the same volume although the Polks handle it more gracefully. I am wondering if it is the factory amp that is crapping out and not the speakers, the Polks are good for 60W rms and I doubt that is what I am getting from the factory amp.

I am wondering if an amp would do it or are there better speakers for the bass I want to get out of the fronts.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is definetely the stock amp that is crapping out...it distorts quickly. I ditched that years ago and with just running my door and rear sail panel speakers (infinity 6.5 comp,doors/infinity 6.5 midbass rear) off the head unit (clarion) sounded far better. I installed the new speakers running off the monsoon amp initially and it didn't sound any better with awesome speakers. After ditching the monsoon amp and wiring directly to head unit sounded much better. Added a 4 channel amp (fosgate) and it sounded even better of course but you will be much happier without the monsoon. Unfortunately you have to rewire everything as all speaker wire in factory harness runs from head unit to amp and then to speakers but it IS worth it if you like big sound from your system. Good luck!!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You dont want bass coming out of the front speakers, its gonna rattle the door panels and make the whole system sound like doo doo.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh_101
You dont want bass coming out of the front speakers, its gonna rattle the door panels and make the whole system sound like doo doo.
I won't hear door rattles on the highway with the top down.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

take the plastic sheet off from behind the door panel, get some of this deadener...
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/vb2hd.html
and cover the whole door where the plasic was. you can use a heat gun and push it into every curve for a perfect formed fit. don't try imitations, this product works. step 2, get a good amp. your speakers are going to need some real power to over come the wind and road noise. step 3, get good speakers that can produce strong mid bass. DLS R6A or crystal sscs 6. i searched and searched, and it ended with these. either can be had for under $200 to your door. the dls has a very strong mid bass, they hit. the crystal does too. not quite as strong as the dls down at 60hz, but they shine better in the upper vocals. i'd put them against speakers 3 times their cost. they rival my $800 dynaudio's. no joke. try either one, you will be amazed.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

My doors already have sound deadener on the entire inside of the outer skin as well as on the inner metal panel. I have an amp ready to go in. I tried the test with the Pold speakers but people seem to think the stock amp was hobbling them. I will look into those other speakers.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BJM
........ people seem to think the stock amp was hobbling them.

....yep
Old 09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

I would replace the stock amp and add a component set. I think you can get a formed kick panel. Add a mid bass speaker to the kick panel and add a tweet. That will balance out or just forget the kick panel and add a set of components to the door. You will have to add poly fill to get rid of any rattles.

Quick Reply: How do I get the most bass from the door speakers?