PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows about TPI cars and VATS

Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who knows about TPI cars and VATS

I have a 86 IROC original motor a 305 TPI and I droped in a 87 TPI 350 out of a Vette and it will not run. Fuel goes to the rail and thier is spark just does not get to the injectors because I have no injector pulse. Checked it with noid light. Also checked everything else possible. Now I have read that it is my VATS and I have to bypass it so it will get injector pulse and they way to do it is with a custom burned prom. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has been through this and can burn me one? Thanks alot
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be best to ask at www.thirdgen.org They know 3rd gen very well over there.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahead of you on that one... Just looking for more then 1 opinion
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

If memory serves on that vehicle VATS controlled the fuel pump and ignition/starter not the injector circuit. What did you do for a harness?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Teching In

it can control injector pulse also not sure on obd1 if just the prom will fix it you need to know the vats number off the key that goes to the pcm your using
Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Teching In

it can control injector pulse also not sure on obd1 if just the prom will fix it you need to know the vats number off the key that goes to the pcm your using 1-15
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I believe that there is an alternative to getting a PROM burned. You can bypass the system by installing the appropriate resistor for the system in the car. I believe that you have the type of VATS that has the resistor in the key? If so, you should be able to bypass the VATS system by measuring the resistance of the resistor in the key and installing a resistor in the system of the same resistance. The VATS wires can be found under the dash. The wires are small. There are two small (22 awg) wires encased in an outer jacket. The jacket is normally white, orange, or black. You will need to cut the wires and splice a resistor in the system that is within 5% of the resistance measured from the key. I would recommend that you get as close to possible to the original resistance. The resistors needed can be purchased from a local electronics store for like 2 bucks. If you need more information, I would suggest that you look for the tips on installing remote car starters or PM me. Please note that this would be a permanent bypass of the system and that you use this information at your own risk. I take no liability for the use of the information.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Banned

Probably the VATS in the PROM, what computer and PROM are you using for this combo?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Ive owned several tpi cars just get the vats removed from the prom,started up!!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Tenured Member

Default vat delete

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
I have a 86 IROC original motor a 305 TPI and I droped in a 87 TPI 350 out of a Vette and it will not run. Fuel goes to the rail and thier is spark just does not get to the injectors because I have no injector pulse. Checked it with noid light. Also checked everything else possible. Now I have read that it is my VATS and I have to bypass it so it will get injector pulse and they way to do it is with a custom burned prom. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has been through this and can burn me one? Thanks alot

We can delete the vats in your chip for $100.00

TPIS 952 448 6021

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who knows about TPI cars and VATS