Will my car pass inspection?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my car pass inspection?

I have a 98 Trans Am and the brake light in the dash is on. I don't know what the deal is. I know the ebrake doesn't work, but it is an a4. Should it pass here in Houston or am I going to have problems?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Launching!

E-brake is one of the safety items that is checked during inspection...they could possibly overlook it...but if your brake light is on..it is not likely. Oh I have been failed before on a missing lug nut LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

The ebrake is supposed to work and they can't fail you because the light is on. So yeah, just get the ebrake going.

yup, texasws6, all your lugnuts have to be there and get this, they all have to match
Old 11-25-2005, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

My 94 failed because the horn didn't work, I thought that was funny...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tiago
My 94 failed because the horn didn't work, I thought that was funny...
they've got everything covered

20.17 Horn. Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn (electric or air) in good working order and capable of emitting a sound audible for a distance of 200 feet or more, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

Bulb or hand-operated horn is acceptable if original vehicle equipment.

1. Inspection Procedure

a. Sound horn.

b. Check actuating device.

c. Examine wiring - mounting.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a horn.

b. Horn or horn switch is not securely fastened.

c. Wiring insulation is worn, rubbed bare, or shows any evidence of burning, short circuiting, or poor connections.

d. Horn switch not readily accessible to vehicle operator.

e. Horn is actuated by grounding two naked wires or similar method.

f. Sound is not audible under normal conditions for 200 feet.

g. Horn emits an unusually loud or harsh sound or whistle.

h. Operation of the horn interferes with the operation of any other circuit.

i. Horn switch missing or inoperative
Old 11-25-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

I am a licensed state inspector, and I have failed for no e-brake. Other notable failures include:

-fan belt
-exhaust (no cats and leaks)
-cracked windshield
-hood that wouldn't open
-tires (not enough tread)
-tint too dark
-lights not working (brake/headlight/turn/license plate)
-holes in headlight
-no horn
-seat belt
-lack of insurance
-gas cap
-power steering leak
-and some others I am probably forgetting

And we don't even do emissions testing! Think of all the cars I could fail for not meeting emissions.....

As said above, the brake light won't get you failed, but the inspector might double check your e-brake and master cylinder reservoir since the light is on.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mojave
I am a licensed state inspector, and I have failed for no e-brake. Other notable failures include:

-fan belt
-exhaust (no cats and leaks)
-cracked windshield
-hood that wouldn't open
-tires (not enough tread)
-tint too dark
-lights not working (brake/headlight/turn/license plate)
-holes in headlight
-no horn
-seat belt
-lack of insurance
-gas cap
-power steering leak
-and some others I am probably forgetting

And we don't even do emissions testing! Think of all the cars I could fail for not meeting emissions.....

As said above, the brake light won't get you failed, but the inspector might double check your e-brake and master cylinder reservoir since the light is on.

You can't fail a car for a busted fan belt. Only the belt which controls the power steering, and even then the belt would have to be really messed up.

It would have to be a hell of a crack to have the windshield fail, you're only supposed to do that when it actually affects visibility.

And how would you fail it if the hood wouldn't open? There isn't an option for it.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Will Clark
You can't fail a car for a busted fan belt. Only the belt which controls the power steering, and even then the belt would have to be really messed up.

It would have to be a hell of a crack to have the windshield fail, you're only supposed to do that when it actually affects visibility.

And how would you fail it if the hood wouldn't open? There isn't an option for it.
I'm sorry, I meant the serpentine belt that runs everything, including the PS pump. It had very large chunks missing from it (was on a 90's F250 7.3L Power Stroke IIRC).

The windshied I failed was seriously messed up. I had a hard time seeing out of it just driving it around the shop.

How could I inspect the belt, power steering pump, brake resovior, and emissions equipment if I can't get under the hood?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TexasWS6
I have a 98 Trans Am and the brake light in the dash is on. I don't know what the deal is.
Check the light bulb in the brake light on the spoiler, that will make the light on the dash come on.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mojave
I'm sorry, I meant the serpentine belt that runs everything, including the PS pump. It had very large chunks missing from it (was on a 90's F250 7.3L Power Stroke IIRC).

The windshied I failed was seriously messed up. I had a hard time seeing out of it just driving it around the shop.

How could I inspect the belt, power steering pump, brake resovior, and emissions equipment if I can't get under the hood?
Ah, that makes sense.

Yeah, thats legit.

How can you complete the test if you can't inspect it Just asking where you have an option to fail the car. The screen simply gives you an option to pass or fail each item and then select the reason for failure.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ah, that makes sense.

Yeah, thats legit.

How can you complete the test if you can't inspect it Just asking where you have an option to fail the car. The screen simply gives you an option to pass or fail each item and then select the reason for failure.

What screen? I guess testers in your area use a computer. All I have is a book to record the cars I inspect and a book of blank stickers. Most of the time, if a car fails, we don't even charge the customer and fill out the rejection slip (unless the customer asks for one).

All I had to do was explain to the lady with the van with the stuck hood that I *had* to see in the engine compartment, and if I couldn't, it would fail. She tried with me to get it open, but we never could, so, IIRC, she left without paying or getting a rejection slip.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, around here you only have so many options to enter in the computer. So if the hood doesn't pop you can't do the inspection.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, around here you only have so many options to enter in the computer. So if the hood doesn't pop you can't do the inspection.
Very interesting. I wonder if we are going to get computers anytime soon. Of course, we also don't have to do emissions testing; maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Which county? This emissions testing is spreading everywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will my car pass inspection?