General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Never buy a MICROGUARD!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Never buy a MICROGUARD!

I just recently bought the microguard oil filter when i changed my oil, just cause it was cheap and easy to buy....3-4 weeks later I discovered a pin hole in the side and the gasket all fucked up. They are cheap stay away its not worth ur engine! Im now STICKING with WIX, and ACDelco. K&N to expensive, not worth it. And also stay away from FRAM, they suck just as bad theres so many people suinin' there asses right now!
Just a heads up for ya'll!

Travis
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

AC DELCO all the way, they work just right
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

WIX is the only way to go.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Big fan of WIX on the hot rod
Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol we order micro-guard at work on cars we don't stock filters for.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Oreilly ran a special on a free microguard with purchase of 5 qts of Valvoline.

I needed to do an oil change on the DD, but the Oreilly guy wouldn't give me the free filter because he said they sucked so bad. I paid 3 bucks for a Fram and wondered why he was so adamant about it. Now I know.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

ac delco or wix here also
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gogogadget

I needed to do an oil change on the DD, but the Oreilly guy wouldn't give me the free filter because he said they sucked so bad. I paid 3 bucks for a Fram and wondered why he was so adamant about it. Now I know.
FRAMs are just as bad, they suck reallllyyy bad. They have been notorious to blow right off cause of such shitty metal for the threading. Just an FYI, just get a WIX or AC Delco next time!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Microguard oil filters are repackaged Purolators. Purolaters (both premium plus/pureone) are extremely good filters for the money. I don't know how an oil filter "developed" a pin hole, but I've used purolator and microguard filters on all of my vehicles for years and have never had a problem. I've used Wix filters as well, but only my local O'Reilys carries those and I hardly ever go there because there oil is always 10 cents+ higher per quart and never on sale.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed my oil a month ago, car hasn't really been driven though b/c its not registered, maybe I should do another oil change to switch out the FRAM filter?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
I changed my oil a month ago, car hasn't really been driven though b/c its not registered, maybe I should do another oil change to switch out the FRAM filter?
Nah, I would just change it when you normally do and never use a fram again. They have the least filtering material and still manage to restrict oil flow. Also watch out for the advance auto brand oil filters, as they are just repackaged frams.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

mobil 1 oil filter no doubt
Old 04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gogogadget

He tricked you into going from a very good filter to the worst possible filter and made you spend more money. Now you know.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

eehhh...microguards suck, trust me theres a reason they are like 2 bucks a filter they are made of thin sheet metal, weak threads, and shitty rubber gasket that tear up when installing even with oil applied to the gasket...Fram sucks just as bad!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

are you talking about the purolator pure 1 microgaurd filterS? I always use them..
Old 04-03-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ac Delco hands down
Old 04-03-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I've tried Fram, STP, Mobil 1, and one or two other ones. By far my oil pressure has been more consistant(spelling) and at a higher average PSI with an AC Delco than any other one. I will not use anything other than the Delco ever again.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

ac delco are GREAT filters
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Launching!

I know this thread is long dead and buried but ive got a good example to add that microgaurd filters are ****.

Just bought a 2002 Tahoe yesterday, 5.3l with 126k with 1k on a oil change. The guy i bought it from already had been driving it so it was already warm when i got there to look at it(no he wasnt trying to hide anything, super nice guy that throughly explained the tahoe and all of the flaws so i didnt waste my time driving 4hrs). Had about 15psi oil pressure at idle in gear which is fine and the rest of the rig checked out. Drove it home the 4 hours and everything was fine.

Drove it to work today to further inspect it and when i started it up this morning the temperature was about 35*, This thing knocked and rattled so bad my wife heard it through the garage door, through the garage, and through a wall while she was laying down in bed in the bedroom! Oil pressure was only 20psi at 1000rpm at 35*. The topend of the motor knocked for about a minute before i finally quieted down, I limped it to work(only about 4 miles) and was steaming the whole morning about it. Went out and started it at lunch about 4.5 hours later and it did the same thing for about 2 minutes. I could tell from listening to it that i had 1 lifter on each bank that were dead so i dumped a quart of atf into the crankcase and let it run for a minute or two.

Went out 4 hours after that and it did the same **** for about 2 minutes, Limped it to walmart and picked up a ac delco oil filter for it. Figured id take the one that was on it off and install the new one empty which should pretty much drain the extra quart that it now had in it from the atf. Switched out the filters when i got home and started it up. Now to remind you i had 20psi at COLD startup in the morning and couldnt even get it to go over about 35psi at 5000rpm the whole day. Put the delco filter on it and started it up, It knocked for a second or two as the filter was filling up and instantly shot to about 35psi. Ive now got 35psi at idle and over 40 at 2000rpm and no more knocking or anything what so ever.

Gonna go cut that piece of **** micro gaurd filter open in a few minutes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never buy a MICROGUARD!