Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if Axle bearing is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tell if Axle bearing is bad?

When I had my wheels off, a neighbor came by to check out my car and he was twirling the axle. He said I needed a new bearing, because he was hearing a certain sound. I generally ignore what this particular neighbor says because I think he just wants to start conversation but it made me wonder.

I didn't really hear any unusual sound when i rotated the axle, it did have a noise though, as did the other side.

I am a little worried atm because I don't know whether or not to listen to him. The car doesn't seem to make an unusual noise and drives smoothly, but I have a loud exhaust so I may not be able to hear quiet things. At like 50 mph I can hear a slight whirr noise but it is extremely quiet and it doesn't sound unreasonable (I haven't heard it before but I noticed it there).

How do I know if the bearing is shot or not? Do i need to replace it asap? what happens if i dont fix it?
Is this something I can do myself(I do all my own work so far) and how much would it cost in parts?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds not unlike tire noise. Whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp. Chances are if you have bad bearings, youalso have bad axles now too. You can try axle saver bearings but when I did, mine went out in a few thousand miles again, so I had to buy new axles. I got moser axles, arp wheel studs, and timken bearings and seals all for about 300 bucks. The axles are nice pieces too. Took about 3 or 4 hours to do the swap in my driveway.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

So if I am not hearing a whomp whomp whomp noise, I should be fine?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
So if I am not hearing a whomp whomp whomp noise, I should be fine?
I wouldnt guarantee that, but if you dont hear bad noises, dont go looking for trouble. Im only saying what mine sounded like when they went out.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I wouldnt guarantee that, but if you dont hear bad noises, dont go looking for trouble. Im only saying what mine sounded like when they went out.
Nice price on all of that stuff, where did you order it?

thanks,

Joe
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black99ta
Nice price on all of that stuff, where did you order it?

thanks,

Joe
Summit used to carry the moser axles, im not sure if they still do or not, I no longer see them in the magazine. They have an all inclusive axle set for just over 200 bucks. They look like they might do the trick. For 200 bucks its hard to go wrong.

Quick Reply: How to tell if Axle bearing is bad?