General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What are symptoms of a broken oil pressure sender?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are symptoms of a broken oil pressure sender?

I've been noticing that my oil pressure is reading lower and lower. It's gradual, like over a couple months. Now it's at 15psi with hot oil at idle. And goes to about 33psi at 2000rpms and 36psi or so at 4000rpms. I don't see any metal shavings or flakes in the oil, so I don't think it's the bearings. I don't hear any knocking either. Last things I can think of are bad lifters or bad oil pressure sender. I pulled my oil pressure sender out and looked at it, it looked nice and clean. I was hoping that something was clogged in there that was messing up the readings, but no dice.

Is it still possible that it will just read low or would a broken oil pressure sender read 0? I've been thinking back to all the times I pulled the intake manifold, trying to remember if the oil pressure going down is related, but not sure.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What are symptoms of a broken oil pressure sender?

Sender usually works or doesn't work. My old sender, even though inacurate, and reading about 10psi lower , still registered 38 psi at hot idle. Sorry to tell you this but progressively less pressure sounds like bearings and you wouldn't necessarily see anything in the oil or in the filter such as "shavings or flakes"
Old 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StevieZ:
<strong>Sender usually works or doesn't work. My old sender, even though inacurate, and reading about 10psi lower , still registered 38 psi at hot idle. Sorry to tell you this but progressively less pressure sounds like bearings and you wouldn't necessarily see anything in the oil or in the filter such as "shavings or flakes"</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That doesn't sound good. But usually you will see bearing material in the oil, shows up as golden speckles, do you not? And wouldn't bad bearings have even more symptoms than just low oil pressure? I think I will check out the lifters and then hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Email Patman and get the oil tested.

The oil sender is cheap if the oil test comes back okay I would change the sender ($25).
Old 11-06-2002, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pro Stock John:
<strong>Email Patman and get the oil tested.

The oil sender is cheap if the oil test comes back okay I would change the sender ($25).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do I get in contact with Patman? How much is the oil test?
Old 11-06-2002, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send a Check for $25 US funds to Terry Dyson at the address below. Include $2.06 for Texas sales tax if you reside in Texas. He will send you a kit that includes,sample bottle,data sheet,and US postage paid mailer. You send the used sample directly to the contract lab in Dallas. He will email the results after he interprets them for you. He will answer your questions so you know what it all means.
Terry Dyson
Dyson Analysis
3679 CR 2184
Greenville, TX 75402
903 883 4661

Quick Reply: What are symptoms of a broken oil pressure sender?