Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean water out of engine?

Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean water out of engine?

After a bunch of messing around I discovered that my engine has a bad head. I have it all tore down but the whole thing has white milky water/oil mix everywhere. What's the best way to get this all cleaned out before putting it back together? I could even pull the shortblock out if that would be easier.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:26 PM

i would drain oil. then pull the head off replace the gasket. and then refill with oil run it for a few minutes and change oil again. i would do that like 2 or 3 times until oil looks normal.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake cleaner, just spray everything down real well and let dry. Once everything is clean and dry, take some oil with your fingers and spread around all the internal stuff you can. Not to much just a coating will be fine. This will prevent rust till you put everything back together. You can spin the motor by hand and get the cylinder walls real good. It will smoke like hell on start up, but this will not hurt it at all just burning all that oil off.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

I have used mineral spirits and a brush before to clean all the crap out of the heads, valve covers, and lifter valley. Just leave the drain plug out overnight and let it all run out the pan. Then fill it with oil, crank over with fuel pump relay removed to prime engine and circulate clean fresh oil through engine then start up and let engine get warm for 20-30 minutes then change oil and filter again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean water out of engine?