Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

vararam installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vararam installed

Well i installed the vararam b2 for the c5 last night. I have to say, i haven't driven the car yet due to weather...but this was a real pain in the *** to install and the quality and fit is junk. None of the directions were accurate so i tossed them and figured out how to do it myself. I've installed many cold air kits on various cars and diesel trucks. I dont think working on the car was too bad since this was actually the 1st time wrenching on it. I was just unimpressed with the overall part. I sure as hell hope the performance is a little better than the install. I just finished the z06 screens tonight and will do the CAGS tomorrow. Anyways I was wondering if anyone else had a problem as well or I just didn't have enough to drink.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't messed with one myself, but everyone says they fit like complete crap. However, the performance gains make up for it...especially mid to higher RPMs....or so I've been told
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea, you are right on the money. the install SUCKS! everyone has said it. I myslef went with the raptor XXL filter and was a pretty easy install and gains are the same to the vararam. you will def like the way the car drives. I still have yet to get mine out and do some test runs due to weather
Old 09-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

at least i'm not alone on this matter. The weather should be clearing up tomorrow or friday so hopefully i can due some driving with it. I'm going to install the cags tonight and if anyone has any helpful hits please chime in. It looks pretty straight foreward but you know how things go.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

We need some intake only raptor XXL equipped Z's vs some Vararam equipped Z vids......
My money is on the Vararam Z....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
We need some intake only raptor XXL equipped Z's vs some Vararam equipped Z's......
My money is on the Vararam Z....
Id have to agree, Ive seen cars gain 4 solid MPH in the 1/4 with vararam. I dont care if it takes a week to install for gains like that..
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Teching In

my vararam came with a crappy filter that broke fairly easily so id go ahead and replace the filter itself with a K&N. getting it tuned after the vararam makes a huge difference too, id seriously consider it.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

I have the old B1 filter and that sucks ***. The install suck too, as least that's what I've heard. The car does pull pretty good up top though. I'm glad I bought my car with it on already lol.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

I just bought one for my car and I am not liking the comments as to how the install goes.... I guess I'll be strugling with this like everyone else.

Any suggestions on making this easier are welcomed!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The installation seemed like it went pretty smoothly on mine, I watched the guys from Autoworx put mine on in about 90 minutes. The performance difference is real nice, you can feel a difference in throttle response even at low speeds, and at the dragstrip I picked up 3 mph in my trap speeds.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Linxs
I just bought one for my car and I am not liking the comments as to how the install goes.... I guess I'll be strugling with this like everyone else.

Any suggestions on making this easier are welcomed!
My suggestion is to throw away to directions for the b2 kit, i believe they were for the 1b kit. Remove the stock airbox, airbridge assembly, have the car in the air remove the little black airdam, then the radiator shroud, then you can access the stock louvers or what ever the hell they are called. I removed mine and re-installed the varam without removing the fog lights. leave bolts loose, then start installing the new peices. It is pretty straight foreward and anyone who is somewhat mechanically inclined should be able to get through this well. Have plenty of beer handy as foul language is common. Its still raining here so who knows when I will be able to try the car out.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

well the cags went very easy. didnt look difficult anyways. I was running the car on idle and reving slowly and it seems to drop down to 3-400 rpm now and slowly raise back to around 650 or so on idle. this happened only a few times and i was wondering if the computer needs to relearn the vararam now. still haven't been able to drive due to weather.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05duramax
well the cags went very easy. didnt look difficult anyways. I was running the car on idle and reving slowly and it seems to drop down to 3-400 rpm now and slowly raise back to around 650 or so on idle. this happened only a few times and i was wondering if the computer needs to relearn the vararam now. still haven't been able to drive due to weather.
CPngrats on getting it installed. I put mine on a few years ago, and fealt the pain. When I removed it, it was a breeze, but then again not having to mess with fog lights makes it easy.

Fit and finish is bad, yea, I have to agree. I do not have stock air box to vararam times slips, dyno ect but I do know that my car is down a few MPh, due to a differanet track and or slightly warmer wheather down here in Augusta as compared to Fayetteville.

Did yuo do an idle relearn??? Just need to pull the the hot lead frm the battery, reinstall, start anmd let idle untill it gets up to temp (water) for a few minutes, then drive it, and drive it like you normaly do. The PCM will learn the new air pater (MAF ect..) at idle and then adjust as needed.

I am thinking of going back too so good luck!
Dave
Old 09-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

yea i let it idle for several minutes. actually i was able to drive the car last night for about 30 minutes. started off cruising slowly until the car was warmed up. didn't do any wot through all the gears but instead held out the rpms and maybe it pulles a little harder in the upper revs above 3500 or so. but i'm always skeptical about the seat-o-pants meter. i should have the car at the track monday, might be able to take a few passes. dont know what to really expect in the qtr?? what does a stock c5-m6 run??
Old 09-15-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Good question man???? Will yuo be running DRs or street tires? The ET is all based on the short time IMO. RANGER has some great threads on the vette forum about launching sticks, and he has done amazing times in bone stock cars. I think you should be good for low 13s? get er done!!!
Dave
Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Default Install

The install is a PITA, but if you get the front end high enough, it makes it easier. Also a lot of work needs to be done blindly and if you have smaller hands it helps. (Around the fog lights). Remember to get all nuts a little loose, align everything and then tighten all nuts. This will help alittle. But I agree the parts are cheap.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure also that you disconnect the battery THE WHOLE time you are installing it. The PCM needs to be cleared so that it can accurately relearn the new air box. A few people were having issues because of this very reason. A tune will help a lot also as stated.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChiefDave
Good question man???? Will yuo be running DRs or street tires? The ET is all based on the short time IMO. RANGER has some great threads on the vette forum about launching sticks, and he has done amazing times in bone stock cars. I think you should be good for low 13s? get er done!!!
Dave
they are stock size 275's kumho asx. no drag radials. I've always been good at launching and the 60'. i was good at getting 1.88-1.90's on street tires on several different cars, mustangs, camaro's. so who knows.

Last edited by 05duramax; 09-16-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep in mind those were solid rear axle cars. Congrats on the install. I know my buddy had a fun time with his. For what you pay for that damn thing, it should be better made.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Default Trouble with C6 Install

I too have had some serious issues. But.......

The first VaraRam intake I received was lousy. I complained and the company said they would get right back to me. They did too.

They said they were revising the product and they were going to incorporate some of the things I said into the new parts for the C6. They said it would be done in 2 weeks, but it took longer. I was impressed that they did this, they knew they had problems and they jumped in to fix them.

I must admit, they fixed all my conerns, except the instructions quality. Again, I am very impressed that they did that. I know it wasn't just for me, obviously. But, a company that does this deserves my best effort.

Now, three months later, I decided to go ahead and install the thing this past week. For the life of me I cannot get it installed. It will not line up properly, no matter what I try. I even cut out an additional 2" on the sides, and the bottom. (Thats another thing--the template they sent me was two pieces of paper taped together!!! Were their initial blue prints done this way, maybe that was the issue!) It justs does not fit!

When it is all put together, and in the car, the intake sits about 3" to 4" above the TB! It isn't even close. I even tried turning the bracket upside down, where the lower section attaches to the car, to no avail. I just don't know what is wrong?????

Any suggestions, anyone????

Does anyone have pictures of their installation? Thanks!

Quick Reply: vararam installed