Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

UTI (universal technical institute)

Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UTI (universal technical institute)

has anyone gone there or know anyone who has gone there? i have been thinking about getting out of the military and going there just looking for some feedback

thanks guys
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as well... any word on it? Looks ike older OBDI lt1s are ging to be popular again in FL?

Last edited by MustangEater82; 10-19-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

I currently go to UTI In orlando, I started and in september, completed my first course already and am now almost done with electrical one (course 17) supposedly the hardest course (high failure rate) I do pretty well here, got S.O.C for the first course, but have had Auto education from my high school so it makes it a little easier for me. Its a pretty strict school as far as your professionalism and appearance. Some instructors are really cool and others are not , just like every ware else. I like it here and am learning a good amount. I would recommend the school as far as the knowledge and the amount of different doors the Uti name can open for you. Only thing i cant stand is their is alot of students that think they are a "mad tight street racers yo" in their ricers and hate domestics, other then that everyone is pretty cool and easy to get along with. Im happy I made the move.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Launching!

how long does it take to make it through the program?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Launching!

thanks for the info im really considering making a career change. i enjoy the military but would rather be doing something where i could start a business or something and making more money.

appricate the info
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I had a few friends that went through it a years or so ago. 1 UTI & 2 MTI. They all really liked it. From what he told me they did alot w/ LS1's. I think it took them just about a year to finish it all. My cousin is actualy planning on starting shortly MTI that is.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I feel what your saying WHITE. I'm in the military as well and the Air Force is really bucking to kick peoiple out. I may be in for a career change as well. I been looking at UTI and Wyo Tech as well.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

I takes a little under a year straight. They have am sessions evenning sessions and night class's. I hear you can double up at the end to graduate quicker. As far as dealing with Ls1's ye we have our own dynojet and that is apart of street legal performance. Uti owns a ls1 Gtp with a FMIC and the sts turbo system, a Red ls1 trans am and a NBM ls1 camaro. I hear we get to hit them with juice when we get into that course. In hot rod we have to build a stock chevy 350 put it into a t-bucket get a base on the dyno, and then modify with a whole bunch of parts Uti has in the cage(headers, Heads, blowers, carbs). It is like a compition to see how can make the most Hp out of the smalll block, we also get to spray them to. We also learn hp tuners.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Hey I feel what your saying WHITE. I'm in the military as well and the Air Force is really bucking to kick peoiple out. I may be in for a career change as well. I been looking at UTI and Wyo Tech as well.
im mean i like my job. we get paid good and get awesome benefits but i dont think i want to do this for ever. and now that they want people to get out im considering it

thanks for all the info keep it coming if anyone else knows anything. more i know the better choices i can make
Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

no offense to uti or anything like that but i have had 2 friends go threw that school. one just got fired from his job. and the other is doing fine. but thats beside the point. ive worked in 2 different places in the automotive field. and uti techs are considered a joke. no offense they are good techs if they go to the specialty programs say for bmw or benz but as far as just the basic program i wouldnt waste the money seems alittle expensive too in my opinion. now on the other hand if your in the orlando area there is seminole community college that offers 3 automotive course. general motors asep, the ford asep, and then the general program. all 3 programs are great im in the gm asep program and love it. its 2 years long, you get placed in a dealership at the beginning of the program. you go to school for a month or so then go to the dealership full time for a month so that way you can practice what you learn instead of going straight through like uti. also you graduate with 90% or higher of your gm training complete. but thats just my 2 cents worth.

but as far as uti i would be interested in taking there street legal performance class with the dynojet and all. but that would be the only class i would take.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
no offense to uti or anything like that but i have had 2 friends go threw that school. one just got fired from his job. and the other is doing fine. but thats beside the point. ive worked in 2 different places in the automotive field. and uti techs are considered a joke. no offense they are good techs if they go to the specialty programs say for bmw or benz but as far as just the basic program i wouldnt waste the money seems alittle expensive too in my opinion. now on the other hand if your in the orlando area there is seminole community college that offers 3 automotive course. general motors asep, the ford asep, and then the general program. all 3 programs are great im in the gm asep program and love it. its 2 years long, you get placed in a dealership at the beginning of the program. you go to school for a month or so then go to the dealership full time for a month so that way you can practice what you learn instead of going straight through like uti. also you graduate with 90% or higher of your gm training complete. but thats just my 2 cents worth.

but as far as uti i would be interested in taking there street legal performance class with the dynojet and all. but that would be the only class i would take.

Cool, my plan is to try an enter the GM Asep program next semester... I am actually looking to go talk to someone about it next week or the week after. I was just curious about UTI, since well you see the commercials all the time
Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
ive worked in 2 different places in the automotive field. and uti techs are considered a joke.

I don’t know about all that, some one who has done good at school and not even necessarily done any MSAT program is not a joke, they are not going to be better coming straight out into the field but its the learning curve that you get. I am not going to say you cant get an equal education at a different school. School curriculum is regulated by NATEF anyways, so as long as you are in a NATEF certified program your getting the same education and U.T.I student is. Local colleges are great but UTI is definitely not a joke. Its really more of you get out what you put in, your only going to be as good as the effort you put forth in trying to learn, and that goes for any school. I would really like to see how many other automotive schools, have a dress code, grade on professionalism, have a program like jumpstart, offer free tutoring, and have 99% employment placement rate. UTI techs have a good reputation in the field I wouldn’t generalize a program that has many campuses all over the country, based on a couple people or at a couple dealers.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

now i didnt mean that everyone that comes out of uti is a joke. just from the few people that i guess didnt put forth the effort at uti to learn all they could failed at their jobs. no big deal my friend from uti works at a honda dealer and from my understanding is doing very very well. so yeah its all good just the cost of uti is crazy in my opinion. although if i were to go there i would want to be in the bmw step program for sure you can make a killing at bmw. but yeah its the effort you put forth in the program that makes a difference.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

I went to UTI/NTI(NASCAR Tech) in Mooresville, NC. Kinda a waste as far as basic automotive I guess. I have my own performance shop so I didn't need job placement but a bunch of friends who went through with me did. Two went through Jaguar training and got good job placement help and they both changed to Land Rover dealerships now, one went through Ford training and got no help but works at ford now, another through Porsche and no help he now owns a pool cleaning buisness, other had no help and got started at a dealership as a lube tech when he graduated. The school by no means makes you a master tech or anything special. You have to find a place to hire you that doesn't treat you as the average joe who just decided to work on cars. To pay like $25,000 for schooling( yes NTI is more expensive but you get to fabricate chassis and body) and get started as a lube tech is fucked up. Also make sure it is what you WANT to do as a career. I know around 4 or 5 guys from my class that don't even work on cars for a living. I kinda agree on the whole "you get out what you put in" idea to a degree but don't listen to all of UTI's hype about being "an extremely well respected industry name" or 99% placement rate because a lot of that is bullshit even if you don't take into account all the guys who don't even keep the jobs for a week but are still have $20,000 or more in school loans to pay off. I won't even get started on the ******* dress code and professionalism bullshit which has unwriten rules that can be change at anytime. OK sorry to go on for a while if anyone has anymore questions about UTI or NTI feel free to ask. Also if had it to do over again I would go to wyotech but I am considering going to S.A.M still. END RANT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UTI (universal technical institute)