Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hone and re-ring cylinder with engine in car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hone and re-ring cylinder with engine in car?

I have a cylinder that is down compression. I am hoping that it is just the ring land and I can replace the piston, rings and hone it in place. I am trying to get some more time out of it until I can buy a new motor. I know that the dealers do this on warranty claims, but is it possible to do it on a camaro, and if so, how easy? I am guessing space will be a problem, just looking for opinions from people who have done it already, maybe dealer mechanics.
I was hoping to buy a short block soon and have the engine done by spring, but I dont think the finances are going to be in place. I would really like to get some more good use from what is in there.
Search isnt working, so if this has been discussed already I cant get it.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

I would not advise it, but if it's just a mean time thing, I guess whatever works. You would have to pull the piston and rod out, ring it. And if you wanted to hone the cylinder a little, you would have to use one of those drill attachments honers. I would never use one though.

Maybe its just a bad ring though, and dont sweat the honing.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

uhh just drive it, or put another motor in it
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cop Car
That was my next suggestion.....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Cop Car
Uhh, I would like it to be more enjoyable to drive seeing as how it wants to stall out(and has many times) and is way down on power. I am going to take my time with the motor and not cut corners on parts or money, so it will probably be late next year before it is ready. I know it has been done before at the dealers with pther cars, so I was just looking to see if anybody has done it. I would like to get another year out of this motor, and plenty of people have driven them until they completely blow then I cant drive it at all.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Not IN the car as there is no way to get to the back half of the engine. Even then, bad idea since you can not get the crank out without removing the tranny. IF you COULD hone it in the car, it would be an outright pointless (and in my view rather stupid idea) since you will put a huge amount of time/effort into something and get less than ideal results. When the dealership does it, they drop the K-member and engine/tranny as a unit, pull the engine apart, hone, reassemble the engine, and reinstall everything.

IF you want to rehone your block, take it out, have it honed with a torque plage, and put it back together.

With that said, now you have spent a big chunk of the cost to actually "rebuild" the engine and still have a stock setup vs. waiting a little while and just building it "right."
Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Long story short, the motor needs to come out. No matter how much you dont have right now to spend, your gona spend a lot more when it dosent work out right. You can get used short blocks on e-bay for nothing. Pick one of thoes up and get new rings and bearings installed.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

you can get a LQ4 short block for like $800, put all your LS1 stuff on it.

like i said.. its either not bad enough that you should just drive it as is, or you should take the motor out, since you were going to anyways.

Quick Reply: Hone and re-ring cylinder with engine in car?