Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

3rd Gen Rear Brake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 3rd Gen Rear Brake Setup

Hey does anyone know if i buy a 1998-2002 Camaro/TA rear brakes with brackets, calipers, disc, lines, etc...the whole complete rear brakes if they will bolt on to a 1991 Camaro with drums or with some minor mods?

I have seen a bunch of people selling these brake systems on ebay, and would like to upgrade but still keep GM

Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure on the price of these systems but, you might want to think about just swapping out the whole rear end from a 4th gen. Probably easier to switch over and then gives you some more options for wheels. Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done the swap... save yourself the hassle and swap the entire rear over if you can. It will sit about 2" wider than the thirdgen rear.. you use the 4thgen parking brake cables.. and fab a holder in the trans tunnel for the lines to mount to.

if you insist on using the thirdgen rear.. you are going to need to cut off the corners of the sqaure mounting flanged on the existing rear end so they do not interfear with the brake set up.

go to www.thirdgen.org and search under 4thgen disk swap rear.. You can also look up Dyno Don on that website, he has done the conversions and can make the brake cable bracket you will need for the parking cables.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Default Thanks a million guys

Hey i already have factory ZR1s from a 1997 ss camaro (i had to use spacers to get them to fit)
also i found a guy on here that will sell me a 1994 Z28 rear end w/posi 3.42 with the brakes for 300.00 bucks with 87,000 miles,

i have 3.73 gears w/posi already in the back right now but i really want disc so i will prob.. just buy a new style rearend and swap gears over

oh yeah do you guys know if a 1994 (brake) master cylinder will fit so i dont run into proporting valve issues and the rearend locking up on me?

Once again thanks guys
Old 10-27-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, the master cylinder will fit, but you still need to change the proportioning valve. Try to find a 1le third gen proportioning valve. If you can't find one used, I think I paid $65 at the dealer for mine.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90-92 use the 4 wheel disk proportioning valve, reguardless if it has rear drums or not.. and the 91-92 use the 1LE prop valve as stock reguardless of having drums in the rear or single pistons up front. and they all use the same master 89-92

When I had my 92.. RS single piston front and drum rear.. I converted my rear to LS1 by changing the whole rear end out.. I also converted to the 1LE front brake system for thirdgen's. The prop valve is the same so dont worry about changing it. If you had an 88 (some 89's had the newer valve) or older I would say pull one from a newer car, but you have it..

the cable system is also a little different if you are using the LT1 rear.. not by much but its different. Use your stock master and prop valve from the thirdgen, if its beat up.. get a new thirdgen one from the autoparts store.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
90-92 use the 4 wheel disk proportioning valve, reguardless if it has rear drums or not.. and the 91-92 use the 1LE prop valve as stock reguardless of having drums in the rear or single pistons up front. and they all use the same master 89-92

When I had my 92.. RS single piston front and drum rear.. I converted my rear to LS1 by changing the whole rear end out.. I also converted to the 1LE front brake system for thirdgen's. The prop valve is the same so dont worry about changing it. If you had an 88 (some 89's had the newer valve) or older I would say pull one from a newer car, but you have it..

the cable system is also a little different if you are using the LT1 rear.. not by much but its different. Use your stock master and prop valve from the thirdgen, if its beat up.. get a new thirdgen one from the autoparts store.
That's weird...mine wasn't like that. When I bought all my stuff (91 Z28 rear drum), the prop valve was different than the 1le, but the master cylinders were the same. The pre 90s had a screwy brake setup...same part number calipers and brake pads on all four corners and a really shoddy prop valve.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Rear Brake Setup