General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New front brake pads are squeaking, mechanic says wait a few hundred miles

Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front brake pads are squeaking, mechanic says wait a few hundred miles

I just got new pads put on the front of my car about 2 weeks or so ago. The brakes had started to squeak before that so I took it in and they told me I needed new pads. Once they were replaced they were quiet for a few days but then the new ones started squeaking even more often than the old ones.

I took it back to the mechanic today and they said they cleaned everything up but the brakes are still squeaking. They also said to wait about 400-500 miles before I bring it back because usually noise will go away with time on new pads. They said if the brakes still squeak after that they will start to try different pads and such.

So is this "wait and see if the new pads stop squeaking" accurate? Or am I wasting my time? It's just extremely annoying. I also read on some site earlier that a guy's mechanic told him to find an open road with no traffic, go 50mph and then do a hard stop. He said to do this 5 times and that would help. Should I try that too?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, they're right. The open road thing might help too. They probably got some grease on the pad surface.. takes a little while for it to wear off.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I had the same problem I took them back off and just cleaned the rotors and pads w/ brake cleaner and that solved it but the trouble might not be worth it to you if they will just fix themselves eventually
Old 11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Sounds like maybe the pads need to be bedded with the rotors. Here is a link to Wilwood page that tells the recomended procedure http://brakepads.wilwood.com/03-tech/index.html
Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

I just did pads and rotors myself and they were smoking, stinking, squealing, vibrating....
After a few hundred miles though, and some hard stops, they were smooth as a baby's ***.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not an expert here... but I think some squeak can come from the pad vibrating between the piston and disc. I used the pink goop (comes in blue flavor too) on the back of my Hawk HPS pads. It's supposed to be a buffer to prevent vibration. My setup is quiet so far. Cheap stuff, give it a shot.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Syn
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the bedding technique linked above when I get some time tomorrow afternoon.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Bedding pads requires short casual stops first, building up to higher speeds. If you go out and try to bed them from highway speed stops first, you'll probably just glaze them over, which will cause them to squeal.

In my experience, a pad that sqeals from the beginning will continue to do so, all else being correct. In that regard, clean the rotor and pad with brake cleaner, scuff the surfaces with course sandpaper, and then try the goo on all mating surfaces between the pad and caliper as mentioned above. The stuff I use is orange. Should be able to get it at autozone, pep boys, etc ... That's usually the culprit if not the pad itself. Cheaper pads with a high metal content tend to squeal the worst.

The worst set of pads I ever had was a set a brake shop put on my '91 Corvette (apartment dweller at the time). Sounded like a bus coming to a stop for the month or so I ran them. After several back and forths to the shop, I ended up just redoing it myself one weekend when I was at home with a better quality set of pads, that actually cost less than the "premium" set the brake shop put on. Lesson learned.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

What i did with mine is i made a few hard stops and a few burn outs with the brakes applied and the squeking went away, but only after 100 miles were put on the car, after i installed my brakes, which was recommended i think by instructions or hayes manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New front brake pads are squeaking, mechanic says wait a few hundred miles