Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody done an LS-1 into a 73-87 Chevy Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody done an LS-1 into a 73-87 Chevy Truck

I was wondering if anyone on here had done an LS-1 swap into a 73-87 Chevy Truck before?

If so, did you have to do any frame modifications to fit the compressor?

What other little boogers did you have for this swap?

Could you post some pictures of how it all looked after installation?

The Street & Performance article has a lot of good information to start with for me. I do want to use the original 73-Up gauges too. But I have found an electric speedometer out of a 1990 Suburban that I may could hard-wire into my Tach Cluster I have and run to the electronic transmission, instead of having to modify the tailshaft to use a cable driven speedometer.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

I haven't done a swap in that model truck, but I did have a project where I put a Jeep body on that model frame. Take a look at my site under projects and Jeepster, you will see some pictures of a 5.3 set in the chassis. Since this was a jeep body, the engine is probably set back further than what it would be in your case. I can tell you you will have to use car exhaust manifolds, and the AC compressor will most likely require a notch to clear the frame.

You can easily use the LS1 with your existing tranny, whatever that may be. All you need are some adapter plates to bolt the engine up to the stock engine mounts. If you retain you stock drivetrain, you won't need to mess with the guages...
Old 11-10-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

i'm getting ready to start a 6.0 project in my 83. but i'll be running the edelbrock intake and carb also my th350 tranny. i'm trying to decide on headers now.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I went looking for a 4-Row radiator last night and found one at Advance Auto. It had a heater hose bib that looked like the end of the heater core. Does anybody think this would be good place to hook-up the steam line off of the engine?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Post any pics of the swap,I been thinking of doing a 6.0L swap in my 90' Suburban too.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Launching!

73-87 chevy trucks website project truck involves a 6.0 swap.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Heres a link

http://p210.ezboard.com/f7387chevytr...cID=2395.topic
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wildmanaaron
I went looking for a 4-Row radiator last night and found one at Advance Auto. It had a heater hose bib that looked like the end of the heater core. Does anybody think this would be good place to hook-up the steam line off of the engine?
The barb that you are talking about is on the same side as the radiator cap right? If it is then it would be a good place to hook the steam line to.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

I may go ahead and drill the water pump like alot of people are doing. I don't have any idea what the extra hook-up was for anyways. My radiator I have now doesn't have it.

Does anybody know what factory dual fan set-ups will fit the 73-87 style original radiators? I thought about making a panel to mount two aftermarket fans like SHifty did on his vehicle.

The one for the 67-72 Trucks would be perfect, if it was for this model and cost say.....$150 less.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-Body
The barb that you are talking about is on the same side as the radiator cap right? If it is then it would be a good place to hook the steam line to.
Wait - if the fitting is directly underneath the cap, then this is the overflow bib, and you should not be using this for your steam line. This is where excess fluid will come out of the radiator when Xpsi of pressure is built up inside the radiator from heat (typically 16psi or 18psi or 16lbs/18lbs).

I may go ahead and drill the water pump like alot of people are doing. I don't have any idea what the extra hook-up was for anyways. My radiator I have now doesn't have it.
I think I'm going to just do that tonight also. Stopping by auto store to look for another fitting, since I couldn't find a 90º fitting .... I also forgot what size the steam vent hose is, 1/4" or 1/8"?

Does anybody know what factory dual fan set-ups will fit the 73-87 style original radiators? I thought about making a panel to mount two aftermarket fans like SHifty did on his vehicle.
There is no such thing. Nothing is a direct bolt-up for your application, because (I believe) that 73-87 all ran on a manual fan, electric fans weren't introduced on GM tucks until the 90's. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Please see this threaD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216128

Rod talks about something from this place: http://www.123classics.com/product_i...armodel=Pickup

That truck forum is a great resource, if you are not already signed up for it.

You can hardly even get stock LT1/LS1 fans for less than $150. I have a pair at home that are in killer shape out of a '97 Iroc if you want to buy. I would sell $150 shipped. If it's in the USA, or you can pickup, I might even consider a lower price. I am not going to use them. I can take pics if you want (I'm not in a rush to sell, but if it will help another member, I will be happy to)
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS - There is a member at the truck forum that goes by CaptKaos. He has done this swap. I think he can give you some insight, I know he found some problems with the engine mounts and headers ...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

ls1/lt1 fans fit real nice on these rads. i'm running one.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to hijack, but, pics, for the hell of it:

http://www.satellitehead.com/uploads...fans%20001.jpg
http://www.satellitehead.com/uploads...fans%20002.jpg
http://www.satellitehead.com/uploads...fans%20003.jpg
http://www.satellitehead.com/uploads...fans%20004.jpg
http://www.satellitehead.com/uploads...fans%20005.jpg

I paid $150 (before shipping), not going to use, tested with 12v battery a few weeks ago, spun fine. Never used by me, purchased from Tony @ Fbodychopshop (he has an Ebay store last I checked, but his original domain is down). Just sitting in my garage gathering dust. Make an offer, but if you insult me by lowballing, I will happily tell you where to go

I dunno what the diff'ce is between your radiator and mine, while these things lined up really well on my radiator, fitting them on was another story. I wasn't happy with fitment after seeing how well the $129 bracket ClassicHeartbeat makes fit. But, if you're on a budget, I suppose this is a great option.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Default Motor Mounts

These are the motor mount adaptor plates to use with the original 73-87 motor mounts right?

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...id/86959/LS1GM

They are a lot cheaper than the S&P brand!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look like something you could use. The problem I think some people have run into is the bolts - one is either impossible to tighten down (can't reach it with the adapter plate on or similar), or maybe it's just that you need to bolt that to your factory mount, cut the bolt head off, then weld the stud in place? There is a trick to it, IIRC.

Seriously - click the link in my sig to the truck forum if you're not already a member - sign up - once inside, threads like this are very helpful:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ferrerid=16001

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ferrerid=16001

There is a ton, and I mean a ton of info there on our trucks. Again, I would talk to member 'CaptKaos' from Alabama and ask him what he did on his project, since he literally just bolted up a 6.0 (or 5.3) in his 73-87 truck in the last couple of months (around the time of the last Maggie Valley meet)

These links may be of more help also: http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...ngine-Swap.htm

For some reason I have it stuck in my head that you can use the factory truck "stands" that go from the framerail to the x-member and bolt the GenIII motor mounts onto that stand. Don't quote me on this, but before you drop the $$$ you might wanna check that out.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Early Classic makes a stand (well, at least for '67-'72 trucks) that uses the GenIII mounts. The trick with the mount plates to use the GenI mounts is that you can't get to some of the bolts when it's all put together - at least one bolt will need to be countersunk, and if I remember correctly, there's at least two studs that will need to be welded.

I suppose a true masochist could pull it off without those changes, but I see no reason to bother making it that hard.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Subscribing to this thread because I'm in the planning stages of a 6.0L Vortec swap into a 4WD K5 Blazer. Any info would be appreciated.

Scott
Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IH8RICE
Subscribing to this thread because I'm in the planning stages of a 6.0L Vortec swap into a 4WD K5 Blazer. Any info would be appreciated.

Scott
always thought that would be a badass all around vehicle 6.0, 4l80E, dana 60, corp. 14 bolt and a clean 4" suspension lift
Old 11-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss496
always thought that would be a badass all around vehicle 6.0, 4l80E, dana 60, corp. 14 bolt and a clean 4" suspension lift
I'm thinking more along the lines of 6.0, NV4500 or built 4L60E(haven't decided yet), 203-205(or maybe 203-241) doubler, 40 spline Dana 60 up front, 37 spline Dana 80 out back, about 6" to 7" of custom suspension lift, and 44" Boggers. As you can probably tell, its mainly gonna be used for some serious off roading.

Scott
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

check out ls1truck.com they have lots of swap info on there

Quick Reply: Anybody done an LS-1 into a 73-87 Chevy Truck