Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Input shaft play

Old 11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Input shaft play

I bought a t56 from someone on these boards about a month ago and hadn't unwrapped it until I got home today (away at school) and noticed that there is some play in the input shaft. I'm just wondering if this is normal to be able to "wiggle" the input shaft side to side and up and down in a dry transmission. It's not excessive, just didn't seem right to me, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some play is required but "wagging" it is not a true measure.The end play is a true in/out measure. The spec is .0005 to .0035 inches.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Wow. I'm not positive but this sounds bad. I would swing by a local shop and the could easily confirm that for free but it sounds bad. My shaft had no play at all even though it needed replacement due to a failed pilot bearing.

Josh
Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Wow. I'm not positive but this sounds bad. I would swing by a local shop and the could easily confirm that for free but it sounds bad. My shaft had no play at all even though it needed replacement due to a failed pilot bearing.

Josh
I was thinking the same thing, I doesn't need to go in the car immediately so I'll bring it to a shop and see what they say.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

i don't know for certain but i think a little play is to be expected, especially if you have many miles on your tranny... unless you can move it a 1/4" in any direction, i wouldn't be too concerned with it.... just my 2cents though.

can't hurt to check it out though for sure....
Old 11-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Where are you located ? Some end play is normal , even more so on a used unit . It might require a little bit of shimming to it depending how much end play you have .
Old 11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shimming is good, thats why I stated the spec above . This is really out of the normal garage mod realm, though.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like calhoon said shimming is good but since you have to check it with the required tools, it might be too much for the at home guy. Give us a call for our monthly specials if you decide you want it rebuilt or if you just have technical questions. We are always here to help.

Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thesource
Where are you located ? Some end play is normal , even more so on a used unit . It might require a little bit of shimming to it depending how much end play you have .
I'm in Chicago. It's all for a 2nd gen rx7 swap so I'm really in no rush to have it on the road.

When I bought the trans used I was told it had rougly 40k on it. I'm starting to think that whatever play is in the shaft would be eliminated once centered with the bellhousing bolted and everything in place.

Amber- Thanks for the reply, I've seen your website and plan to contact you guys if this trans decides to be difficult.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm coming from the SRT-4 community into a swapped FC RX7, so I haven't met many knowledgeable locals for some input now that the Chicago winter has hit.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Update- It needed to be shimmed. The previous owner took out the shims and did not put them back.

I bought this trans from a member here named "IMD." I was told it was in good condition with 40k miles. After trying to contact him several times about the fact that the trans he sold me was not in working he just ignores the PM's.

It was only $85 for parts + labor, but still bullshit in my book considering he could care less now that he has my money.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by heimbo
Update- It needed to be shimmed. The previous owner took out the shims and did not put them back.

I bought this trans from a member here named "IMD." I was told it was in good condition with 40k miles. After trying to contact him several times about the fact that the trans he sold me was not in working he just ignores the PM's.

It was only $85 for parts + labor, but still bullshit in my book considering he could care less now that he has my money.
You got off easy. I bought a T56 off ebay and 5th, 6th, and reverse was not working. Such is life with used parts.

Andrew
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You got off easy. I bought a T56 off ebay and 5th, 6th, and reverse was not working. Such is life with used parts.

Andrew
Well it hasn't been put in the car yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
IMD
Banned

Originally Posted by heimbo

dude, these people just told you that some shimming may be neccesary. it doesnt mean that there was somethign wrong with it, or that it wasnt in working order. It was in working order when i sent it to you, because i had been using it with no problems whatsoever. i never removed anything from this transmission...i took it out, cleaned it off, sold it to you.

i also wasnt ignoring your PM's...i have no more LS1 stuff, and havent had for months now, so i rarely look at the board anymore, and dont have email notification for when i recieve a PM. i dont, not care, because i have your money. i just find it a little ridiculous that it took you three months to decide that there was something wrong with the transmission. yes, i know, you were away at school, but seriously..?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IMD
dude, these people just told you that some shimming may be neccesary. it doesnt mean that there was somethign wrong with it, or that it wasnt in working order. It was in working order when i sent it to you, because i had been using it with no problems whatsoever. i never removed anything from this transmission...i took it out, cleaned it off, sold it to you.

i also wasnt ignoring your PM's...i have no more LS1 stuff, and havent had for months now, so i rarely look at the board anymore, and dont have email notification for when i recieve a PM. i dont, not care, because i have your money. i just find it a little ridiculous that it took you three months to decide that there was something wrong with the transmission. yes, i know, you were away at school, but seriously..?
Well, I can post all the messages you sent me regarding the condition of the trans and NOWHERE do you mention that the end play is out of spec. I checked your logs periodically after sending you the messages and you did read them just choose not to respond until you were "called out" and made to look bad. Now is your chance to correct the matter. Send $42.50 (half the cost of repairs) to my paypal account and the matter can be closed.

$85 for simple repairs is not something I would post about if it were my own damn fault. The fact is that it was shipped to my home residence while I was at school which is 130 miles away. I came home roughly a month later and found that the shaft wiggles up and down and in and out and this thread was made. The trans has been sitting in the same spot collecting dust.

You have a history of ignoring my messages after you collected my money, taking over a week to ship the trans, not responding when the trans was found to be in poor condition, as well as sending me childish PM's telling me to "go **** myself."
Old 01-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

For reference, the trans was paid for on 10-12-2006. It was shipped roughly a week later and arrived nearing the end of October. This thread was posted the weekend I came home from school. So I waited 3 months to do something about it no wait he said 4 months in a PM to me about it? Not really... it was less than a month before it caught my concern and I posted about it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I should have updated this thread a while ago. The transmission was reshimmed and I completed the LS1 swap into my rx7 in April only to find out that the trans this guy sold me had borken 3/4 slider keys. What a tool!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 PM

This is an old thread, but anyone else coming across this needs to realize that this dude is being a drama queen over this. The bearings wear down over time, so you get more play in the shaft. The transmission will generally still operate just fine, but it's best to get it re-shimmed over time. The teflon inserts on the shift forks break very easily. It's just what happens.

You bought a used transmission and you expected some rebuilt show-floor queen? Get over yourself. That $80-something is peanuts. I hope IMD laughed and never responded to your PMs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 Input shaft play