Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt problem? Weird noise when starting car, until warm...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt problem? Weird noise when starting car, until warm...

Off and on I have a screeching/whining noise coming from the engine bay when I start my car. It only does it if its been sitting in the driveway while its been raining a lot or I just washed it. I think its the serpentine belt, since it stops the noise when it warms up and it gets louder and more apparent when I accelerate or rev the engine. It has 102,000+ miles on it, so either way Ill probably replace it, but it doesnt have really any signs of cracking or bad wear. Any ideas of what the cause is? Dad guessed either the belt or water pump, but we havent really been able to diagnose it yet, waiting for the weather to clear up.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Take the belt off and try spinning the accessories and see if you can re-create the sound. If it's an acceossry it's probably the alt.

You can completely remove the A/C accessory belt and see if that is the culprit, otherwise it is most likely a one of three things, bad belt...worn idler pulley, or worn tensioner pulley.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, Ill try those things this weekend and hopefully find the problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably one of your idler pulleys. Start the car ans while it making the noise spray some wd40 on the bearings on the idler pulley and see if it goes away
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The1N_only
Its probably one of your idler pulleys. Start the car ans while it making the noise spray some wd40 on the bearings on the idler pulley and see if it goes away
Just be sure not to get it on anything else otherwise the noise make go away and it isn't because of the intended target.

oh and obviously, be careful with your hand down there.

FYI If I remember correctly if you remove the A/C belt that will leave you with only one idler pulley and one tensioner pulley for checking, may be easier since the A/C is at the bottom.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car does the exact same thing. my water pump has seen better days, i know for a fact. it's got a very slow leak, and it wasn't doing it until the water pump decided to be a *****. i need to buy a new water pump and a goodyear gatorback belt. i'm sure that'll fix my problem. it'll probably fix yours too.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

I appreciate the help and will try all of the advice this coming week, gotta get ready to ring in 07 first, everbody be safe out there....

-Philip

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt problem? Weird noise when starting car, until warm...