Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

When is an aftermarket TA, PHB, and LCAs needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When is an aftermarket TA, PHB, and LCAs needed?

I am looking into starting my build of my 94 Z, and was wondering at what point will aftermarket suspension pieces such as a new Torque Arm, LCAs, or PHB be needed? It will be a street/strip Daily driver through college, and will have a Eibach Pro-kit with Bilsteins in the near future. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Out1aw
...at what point will aftermarket suspension pieces such as a new Torque Arm, LCAs, or PHB be needed?
Needed? Never as long as the stockers don't break. Desired? Depends on the goals of the car. Is the goal of your street/strip car to run 13's? Stock parts do that just fine IMO.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

i did lca's and a phb with only a lid and catback. the wheel hop was ridiculous. problem solved.
if it's a mostly stock car and you don't have any wheel hop issues, then i wouldn't spend the money unless it's itching to be spent.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some of the stock cars can use and adjustable panhardbar, its just a matter of how far off your rear end is to begin with.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

* Adjustable LCAs allow you to adjust the rear axle forward/aft/diagonally.
* Adjustable PHB allows you to adjust the rear axle left/right.
* With both you can adjust the rear axle in all horizontal directions (left/right/forward/aft/diagonally) to center it under the car.
* Ajustable PHB isnt necessary for stock right hide, but is necessary when the ride height is changed (ex: lowering the car).

That being said....
I have stock right height, but I do have adjustable Spohn rod/poly PHB and LCAs. My rear was a bit off with the stock parts and is all straight now with the adjustables. I had it aligned by the tech during a 4-wheel alignment. It took some convincing to get him to do it. He insisted that there wasn't anything adjustable back there. I had to walk him over and show him.

When I say centered, I mean with the running gear (during an alignment) and not just visually.

Quick Reply: When is an aftermarket TA, PHB, and LCAs needed?