Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How Do You Clean A White Convertible Top?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Clean A White Convertible Top?

does anyone know how to clean a white convertible top? anything special to use to make it back to its normal color or is it ruined? it is just a litte off white..
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

anyone ?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow dude good luck on that.

My 1997 Sebrings tan top turned greenish when the entire thing molded over. I ended up just giving the car to my brother in law because of that crap.

He used a carpet cleaner on the thing and eventually it removed the majority of the discoloring. Don't even think about taking it through a do it yourself car wash and using the high-pressure wash on it from like 3 inches away.

I didn't do it personally but I laughed my *** off about how it punched/bleed through the fabric and flooded the Sebring.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

probably the same way u clean a black one.... sorry couldnt resist... they make convert. top cleaner i personally use griots garage convert top cleaner when detailing cars with a stiff bristle brush ive never had to do a white top but it kicks *** on tan/black
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rich189
probably the same way u clean a black one.... sorry couldnt resist... they make convert. top cleaner i personally use griots garage convert top cleaner when detailing cars with a stiff bristle brush ive never had to do a white top but it kicks *** on tan/black

Yeah but considering I couldn't get a the tinge out of a tan top a discolored white top is going to be WAY more difficult to clean than a black top.

The big problem with my old black topped C5 was why my cat seemed to decide it was the most wonderful place in the world to sleep.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

so i am basically screwed?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KandyZ
so i am basically screwed?
I use bleach white with a soft brush. Just wash your car off as you do it. I've been doing it for years. You can also use "really works" hand soap for dirt and grime. Then I spray 303 aerospace protectant on there and it stays white.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
I use bleach white with a soft brush. Just wash your car off as you do it. I've been doing it for years. You can also use "really works" hand soap for dirt and grime. Then I spray 303 aerospace protectant on there and it stays white.

When you says bleach white do you mean bleach or is bleach white a brand name?

There has to definately be a way to clean it though tell us how the "really works" stuff works on white top.

Any chance you can better describe just how the top is dirty.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

looks like an off white the vehicle is white so it is very difficult to keep the convertible top white ...it is like wearing a brand new white shirt & your teeth are off white..do you know what im talking about? it just looks like it could use a good wash but with some chemicals...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

The white top that you have should be a vinyl top....right?

I use RaggTop protectant. It's the best on the market. They have a top cleaner, but depending on how far gone your top is, it may not be agressive enough (just like paint....when it's faded, soad, water and wax won't help).

http://www.autostyles.com/prod01care.htm

In that case, do a google search on vinyl and how to clean and restore it. You're looking for solutions for a convertible top, but remember, it's simlar material to what's used on other items, so look for how to clean the MATERIAL, not the application of the material.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/vinyl

http://www.mobileworks.com/convertible-top-care.html

http://www.renovointernational.com/p.../products.html
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
When you says bleach white do you mean bleach or is bleach white a brand name?

There has to definately be a way to clean it though tell us how the "really works" stuff works on white top.

Any chance you can better describe just how the top is dirty.
Its a brand name and its the same that you use on your tires (Wal-mart). Works great for me. mine looks like a brand new top. really works is a great hand cleaner but will take any dust and dirt you have embedded in the top. When ever you get it the way you like it you need to put a protectant on there to repel the dirt etc..Post some pics of your top would be helpful if you can. Raggtop and 303 aerospace protectant are the best out there.

Quick Reply: How Do You Clean A White Convertible Top?