Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees

Well about a year ago I was on my way to pick up a friend in NY when a cop pulled me over for doing like 20 over, which was my bad becasue I didnt know that the speed limit dropped. So I got the fine and I paid it, but then I got some bull **** thing in the mail saying that anyone with a NY state drivers licence who gets 6+ points in 18 months has to pay a $100 driver responsibility assesment fee every year for 3 years and wouldnt you know it the cop also tagged 6 points onto it. Now I live in Pa and have a Pa drivers licence w/ no points and no record of stops by the way (I recently checked w/ a police officer I know) and I figured that I was fine because I dont have a NY licence and it must have been a mistake. Just a few days ago I got a letter saying that I owe for the $200 (this year and last) and that my NY state drivers licence is suspended!!! I know my licence deff isnt suspended and on top of that I dont even HAVE a NY state drivers licence! Does anyone know anything about this? Do I have to pay? Is there any way that I can get around it since I hace an out of state licence? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Teching In

You shouldn't have to worry unless you move back to Ny w/ in ten years . If you move back they'll make you pay before they issue you a new licence
Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id call the DMV and make sure its put to rest. Get it in writing that it is.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

The Driver Improvemnt Program Fee's are for real.. They been in place for 2 yrs now. In your situation I dont know how that works with you not having a nys licnese anymore, but doenst NY inform local states if you get a ticket out of state and not pay. I would say you need to pay it.

john
Old 03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I'd let em' take away my NY license that does not exists anyways LOL.

Seriously how do you get 6pts for speeding 20mph? I think in MA a major incident is only 4.

If it were me I'd contact the RMV or even your insurance carrier, thay can quickly look up your records and let you know of any points against you.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I say **** them.... don't do a damn thing, and definately DO NOT pay that. You don't live there anymore.. don't worry about it.

Just keep that PA lic. clean and keep it for at least 10 years that's all.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Problem is if you drive in NY you will be charged with driving on a suspended license, because your right to operate a motor vehicle in NY is suspended
Old 03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

What really pisses me off about it is I never lived in NY to begin with. Ive had a PA drivers licecnce all my life. I think it was 21mph over which just happens to be enough to give me 6 points....real coincidence huh? I was never told about any driver assessment **** and if i would have I would have fought the ticket becasue I already paid a $200+ fine for the damn ticket. I was told that I have no points on my PA licence and its clear of violations. For anyone who gets a ticket in NY or anywhere else that has this **** make sure you ask if you will be subjected to it before you decide to plead or fight it, because over $600 for 21mph over is a bunch of ****. If anyone else knows any info Id appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Well I did a little looking yes 21+mph over is a 6 point ticket. The driver improvement program is also valid for Out of state People too. Im sorry to say that you really should pay the fine. You are just asking for it. They have the correct adress for you. Its kinda just like getting a ticket out of state and not paying the fine. This will come back and haunt you at the wrong time.
Ps you are going to owe them another 100 buck for next yr too. Its a 3 yr deal.

John

Here I copied the whole form for you. I dont think this help but might make you understand..

A change to the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law requires drivers who are convicted of specific traffic violations to pay an assessment to the DMV. The Driver Responsibility Program applies to all drivers who operate, or operated, a motor vehicle in the State of New York, regardless of the state the motorist is licensed in. The purpose of the Driver Responsibility Program is to prevent the repeated behavior of problem drivers and to improve traffic safety.
About Driver Responsibility Assessments
How to Pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment
The DRA Statement You Received
Affect of the DRP on Your Driver Record

Information About Driver Responsibility Assessments
What is a driver responsibility assessment?

In addition to any fines, fees, penalties, or surcharges that you pay for a traffic conviction, you must pay the driver responsibility assessment. The assessment is an amount that you must pay each year for three years. You pay the assessment to the DMV.

Who must pay a driver responsibility assessment?

You can have NYS driver responsibility assessments to pay if you have a driver license in NYS or a driver license from another state and you have driver incidents in NYS.

You must pay the driver responsibility assessment if any of the following incidents occur in NYS:

you are convicted of an alcohol-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you are convicted of a drug-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
a DMV hearing determines that you refused a chemical test and the refusal occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you receive six or more points on your NYS driver record during a period of 18 months and the violations occurred on or after November 18, 2004.
How do I know if I must pay the driver responsibility assessment?

If you must pay an assessment, the DMV will send a statement to you. The statement will display the information that you will need to pay the assessment.

What is the amount of the driver responsibility assessment?

The amount of a driver responsibility assessment depends on the type of violation and the total of your driver violation points.

If you are convicted of a traffic violation that is alcohol-related or drug-related, or if you refuse a chemical test, the annual assessment is $250. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $750.

If you receive six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300. If you receive more than six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $25 for each point more than the original six points. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $75 for each point more than the original six points.

Note: You can pay the three annual assessments in the first year or the last two annual assessments in the second year. If you pay the total amount in one payment, you will not receive another annual statement for that assessment.

How to Pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment
When do I pay the driver responsibility assessment?

If you receive a statement from the DMV that instructs you to pay a driver responsibility assessment, you must pay the minimum amount in 30 days or less. The statement will display the payment date.

What can occur if I do not pay the driver responsibility assessment?

If you receive a statement from the DMV that instructs you to pay a driver responsibility assessment, you must pay the assessment. If you do not pay the assessment, the DMV will suspend your driver license, your learner permit, or your driving privileges.

Can I pay less than the minimum amount of the annual driver responsibility assessment and then pay the balance in the future?

No. You must pay the amount that appears on your statement in 30 days or less.

Can I pay the three annual driver responsibility assessments in one year instead of three years?

Yes. Normally, you receive three annual statements for each assessment. When you receive the first annual assessment statement, you can pay the annual assessment, or you can pay the total assessment that remains for the three years. When you receive the second annual assessment statement, you can pay the annual assessment or the total assessment for the two years that remain.

You can also pay the total balance of assessments that remains at any time. For example, you have a total assessment of $300, and you pay the minimum payment of $100 due from your first annual statement. You can pay the $200 balance at any time. You do not need to wait until you receive the second annual statement.

There is an exception if there are additional assessments for additional incidents and you have not yet received an annual statement that includes the additional assessments. To pay your DRA balance in this situation, you must pay the amount of the additional assessments as well as the balance of the initial assessment. For example, your initial total assessment is $300. You you pay the $100 due on the first annual statement. Your balance is $200, but an additional total assessment of $150 is added to your DRA account after you paid the $100 annual assessment. You cannot pay the $200 balance on the initial assessment unless you also pay the $150 balance of the additional assessment. To pay your total DRA balance, you would have to pay $350.

You will be informed that there are additional assessments if you attempt to pay the balance of an initial assessment that does not include the additional assessments.

You are not required to pay the balance of assessments before you receive the annual statements. You can pay the annual assessment each year for three years until the balance is paid. If you do pay the balance, you will not receive future annual statements for assessments included in that balance.

How do I pay a driver responsibility assessment?

If you receive a statement from the DMV that instructs you to pay a driver responsibility assessment, the statement will include the instructions to pay the assessment on-line, by telephone at 518-402-2851, by mail, or at a DMV office. The address to pay by mail is: DRA Processing Center, State Office Building, 207 Genesee Street, Suite 6, Utica, NY 13501-2801.

Information About the Statement that You Received
I do not understand the different dates for a violation, a conviction, or a statement. How do these dates refer to my driver record and my driver responsibility assessment?

The violation date is the date that the incident occurred. For example, a law enforcement officer writes on a traffic ticket the date that a driver was stopped for speeding.

The conviction date is the date that a traffic court or a DMV hearing determines that the driver was guilty of a violation.

The assessment date is the date that the DMV enters an incident on a driver record. The DMV uses the date of the original assessment to determine the annual statement dates, and to check the driver record for new incidents.

The annual statement date is the date that the DMV issues a statement to a driver.

The payment date is the final date that a driver can pay a driver responsibility assessment to avoid a suspension of their driver license, learner permit, or driving privileges.

How An Assessment Can Affect Your Driver Record
How does the DMV calculate the total number of my driver violation points?

To learn how the DMV calculates your point total, see the information about the driver violation point system.

How can I determine the number of points on my driver record?

A driver abstract is a summary of a current driver record, and displays the number of driver violation points. To learn how you can request a copy of your driver abstract, read the information about driver records.

If you have a minimum of six points on your driver record, you will receive a statement from the DMV that indicates the number of points that you received. If you have less than six points on your driver record, you will not receive a statement from the DMV.

Can I reduce the amount of the driver responsibility assessment if I complete a DMV-approved accident prevention course?

No. You can reduce the total of your driver violation points and your insurance premiums, but completion of the course does not change your driver responsibility assessment.

Last edited by Ojustracing; 03-16-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

.....That sucks. Thats all I have to say. I guess now its time to see if anyone I know can pull some strings to help me out with this.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Drop yeah it does. Let us know how you make out......
Old 03-16-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Will do. Ill be really pissed if I have to end up paying because that was $300 that was going towards a 90/90 or h/c setup
Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Dont pay. F'em, thats a joke!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Just out of curiosity, what could happen if I just ignore it? I have to get a new licence next year anyway because mine will expire, if that makes any difference.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Hey think about it this way.

I im out out of state and get a speeding ticket. If I pay the fine my home state never finds out about it. INSURANCE COMPANY DOESNT SEE IT. If I dont pay the fine they will inform my home state that I got a ticket and then if this state says suspend my license my home state will.

You can do what you want, But if you dont pay they will inform PA for Failure of paypment and suspend your PA License. Then your insurance company will find out about the original speeding ticket suspended license. You will diffenatlly pay more than 300 buck in insurance Premium's for the next 5 yr.

Now before I get sounding like your parents. I'm familar with issue, Because I race in an event that has us race around the country. Driving 7700 miles in 9 days mostly at night at high speeds. I do not have any tickets on my license.

John
Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I was thinking about that today. I guess I prob should just fork over the cash. Damn new england states....Im moving to florida
Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your liscense will def get suspended if you dont pay, i owed them 300 last year, and this year is now 500. im def gonna pay, they wont take my liscense again
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Teching In

I live in western Canada. I paid a NY ticket for speeding in November 2007. (And of course then I learned that I was responsible for a New York driver responsibility assessment for 3 years.)

I was OK with paying $200 for speeding; I was not okay with paying another $900 for being a hazard to New York roads.

I did not respond to the driver responsibility assessment letter, and I have not driven in New York state since.

My drivers licence is clean; New York has reciprocating agreements with Ontario and Quebec, but not Alberta.

New York hasn't sent me anything since.
Can anyone confirm whether I'm in the clear to drive in New York now (4.5 years later), or if not, how many years it will take?

Last edited by notfromtheseparts; 04-19-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how is it constitutional to assess you 250 a year for not taking a chemical test? have they heard of the 5th amendment?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, a 5 year old post...

Quick Reply: NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees