Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Need help getting VHT Track Bite to work on the street.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help getting VHT Track Bite to work on the street.

Picked up my first gallon of VHT the other day and started experimenting. We have a nice quiet road that will be our "spot" for a while and want to get my prep method down so I'm not taking up too much time. First time out last night I mix 50/50 VHT with MEK on the fresh asphault. The road is pretty pourous and needed an nice thick coat (no puddling). It would barely tack up........ We tried doing burnouts on it to put some heat in the road, but we can barely get our shoes to make the stick noise when walking on it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I use straight VHT (summer time in South Florida)? Do I need a torch, and if so what kind?

Thanks guys,

Doug D
Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Use it straight. The only reason to even consider diluting it is if you are running it through a sprayer. Just pour a little puddle in front of each rear tire. Then burnout and run through it.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I used it in a sprayer. I laid down two 40 foot patches, nice and thick.

I'll try the burnout in a small puddle method also.

I wonder if VHT straight in a sprayer will hurt it.

Doug D
Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

You can always use the blowtorch method. One of those propane tank torches w/ a wide nozzle. Just do it over and over, then do the burn outs on it w/ the puddle method. just don't use enough of a puddle for it to make a mini river.
Also, beware street tire usually put pit marks and lines all the way to the hard pavement. DR's and Slicks maintain the integrity of the sticky surface.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DougsfastZ
Picked up my first gallon of VHT the other day and started experimenting. We have a nice quiet road that will be our "spot" for a while and want to get my prep method down so I'm not taking up too much time. First time out last night I mix 50/50 VHT with MEK on the fresh asphault. The road is pretty pourous and needed an nice thick coat (no puddling). It would barely tack up........ We tried doing burnouts on it to put some heat in the road, but we can barely get our shoes to make the stick noise when walking on it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I use straight VHT (summer time in South Florida)? Do I need a torch, and if so what kind?

Thanks guys,

Doug D
This isn't exactly legal but here it goes:

1) Go to a local asphalt plant and buy 20 gallons of fog seal, or crack seal epoxy.
2) Buy a few torches
3) "MOP" Fog/Crack seal over the are you want to prep
4) heat it up a bit and let it set.
5) No more porous asphalt
6) prep with VHT and be happy.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we use VHT all the time and all u need is a little squirt bottle to put it on the tires or a little bit on the front of the rear tires drive over and smoke them. for better results do more than once just make sure all the liquid is gone or else u will slip and keep touching the tire till u feel that really gummy sticky feeling and u should be good for just about anywhere u go. little warning though wash ur car right after cuz i havent been able to get all the stuff off my rear panels.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ Goof-off Bug and tar remover works good.

BTW, juiced post FTW . I wouldn't have gone that far on public roads but thats about as sticky as your will ever get that patch of road.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Chiming in a little late here, but part of your problem is using methanol on asphalt. The methanol will react with the slurry in the asphalt and make the surface under the rubber/VHT so loose, it'll be like trying to hook in a car wash. Best bet would be to launch off of concrete. If that's not possible, use straight VHT and DO NOT burn it. Heat will turn asphalt to slime quicker than methanol. I've burnt VHT one time and it was when two 40' strips in 40* weather for a very fast 10.5 car.

For a fresh road (never raced on), do a couple burnouts on the surface before ever putting down anything. Once you get a good surface made, all you need is a little monkey **** to bring it back to life. Put a little in front of the back tires, do a burnout in the puddle (length varies depending on tire), then carry it out for a good 20'. You can test how good your racing surface is by twisting your shoe on the groove. If the rubber stays intact, it's perfect. Sticky isn't always what you look for...it's how well it stays adhered to the road.

The best thing about VHT is that it doesn't wash away with water. If it's at the end of a road with no traffic (like the spot where I tune suspension), then it'll retain it's stick for 3-4 months. VP Racing also makes a compound that I've been thinking about trying when it gets hot this summer.

As for removing it from your quarter, get some of the Gedex spray-on stuff. On my old Mustang, I just left it on there because it looked cool.

Last edited by mongse; 05-17-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help getting VHT Track Bite to work on the street.