Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Can NJ cops pull you over because of tinted windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Can NJ cops pull you over because of tinted windows?

I got pulled over by a cop because I have front tinted windows. Can they pull you over just for tinted windows even without a moving violation? I told the cop that I got the car last year and it came tinted already, which passed inspection through an NJ DMV. Should I just pay the $55 penalty or fight it. I don't want to remove the front tints anyway because the car looks nicer. I dont have any points and the cop didn't even give me a warning.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the can, most if not all states can. CT is horrible for it, but it was due to a death of a St Trooper, shot through tinted glass, its for everyone's protection, unless you get the sticker that shows its been certified, inspected, they are going to pull you over.

Thats why my car will never get tints.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

yes it is illegal to have tint on the front windows. so they can pull you over for it. now if your from PA where its legal i think they can do anything.

-brandon
Old 06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

just pay it man..its like $35 to fight it so if u win u save what? $20?! just drive with the windows down/take them off or face the consequences. i had them and drove with the windows down and got 2 tickets.. tints suck in gay states
Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely just pay it. It's illegal, we all know that but it's certainly worth the $55. I drive with my windows down almost all the time and haven't ever gotten trouble in NJ/NY in almost 5 years that I've had the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

lol...i got pulled over for tint 5 years ago in jersey 2 weeks after i go it done. ******* cop was like ,"either you pull it off right here and now or your getting a ticket." so i said in a very nice tone ,"you better start writing than."

Tint is illegal here in PA also...yet it passes inspection unless its like 5% or darker...go figure.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Just pay the $55, its not a big deal. NY just changed the Tint % to 70% from 35%. Most times if they are giving tint tickets though its to break ballZ. Regardless the only way to not pay the ticket is to remove the tint.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

CT the back window can be spray painted for all they care, it's the front ones that they don't like it on.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

I got pulled over in Pa by a state trooper who told me that tint is legal only on pickups, any window behind the driver, vans and Suvs also only the windows behind the driver. Tint was not legal on any regular pass. car (except limos etc) I went to court since I passed inspection with it on there and the judge gave me the option of removing it right there or paying the fine.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iwantLS1
I got pulled over by a cop because I have front tinted windows. Can they pull you over just for tinted windows even without a moving violation? I told the cop that I got the car last year and it came tinted already, which passed inspection through an NJ DMV. Should I just pay the $55 penalty or fight it. I don't want to remove the front tints anyway because the car looks nicer. I dont have any points and the cop didn't even give me a warning.
NJ cops can/will pull you over for tinted windows without another violation.

NJ DMV would never pass a car with tinted windows. As soon as they see the rear window tinted, every person in the inspection station will roll the windows up to check for tint on the fronts.

Certain towns are very against tint, therefore ticket drivers all of the time. Honestly, the tint is not worth the trouble of attracting the cops attention.

Just pay the fine, and consider removing it.

More and more towns in NJ are setting up roadside inspections for seatbelt usage, inspection, and illegal modifications to vehicles (tint, aftermarket tail lights..) I have driven through 4 of the roadside inspections in the last year.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

mine aren't tinted yet they where on my other previous two cars over 5 years and only got one ticket and one warring i just left it on and once i get these tinted and if i get pulled over and told i have to take it off i will reply with "i will take my tint off the front windows when you take them off your cars" and i know we have all seen the State troppers cars that are all blacked out. just cause you uphold the law doesn't make you above the law. whats there reasoning for having tint on the front windows of the squad cars. pretty hipocritical if you ask me sorry rant over
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrocs00z28
mine aren't tinted yet they where on my other previous two cars over 5 years and only got one ticket and one warring i just left it on and once i get these tinted and if i get pulled over and told i have to take it off i will reply with "i will take my tint off the front windows when you take them off your cars" and i know we have all seen the State troppers cars that are all blacked out. just cause you uphold the law doesn't make you above the law. whats there reasoning for having tint on the front windows of the squad cars. pretty hipocritical if you ask me sorry rant over
I'm guessing they have it so you can't see them pointing the radar gun at you. One thing people need to realize: Cops aren't writing tickets for things like this just to be dicks. They deal with dangerous people everyday. From wanna-be gangstas to regular crazy bastards, I sure as hell wouldn't want to walk up to a car window not knowing if somebody's pointing a gun at my forehead from point-blank range.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Here's the law concerning tints in NJ. You can have side windows tinted(rear), as long as the front driver and passenger window are clear. Front windshield is illegal even for a tint stripe on top. Rear window can also be tinted if you have left and right side outside mirrors. If you only have a drivers outside mirror then rear glass is also illegal. Cops can stop you and give you a ticket anytime. Inspection station will fail you for reasons mentioned above. Not worth the hassle or tickets IMO.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

I drove for 17 years with all my windows tinted, on my 1984 Z28.
I was NEVER stopped once for it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pay it dude,NJ law no tints on the fronts! You will lose if you fight it!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just pay the fine. I've been pulled over twice for tint and no front plate. The tint will come off when the fines amount to the cost of the tint being installed so only a couple more to go and it's coming off lol. As for the front plate, its never being put on so I'll just keep paying that one.

-Brian
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got pulled over once for front plate, and considering he could've given me anyone of a number of other tickets, I took the warning he gave me and put the plate on. I've been next to many local police (whom seem to care practically not at all about anything so long as you aren't driving wreckless), and have had state police just putt along by in the left lane as I'm cruising in the middle with the windows up and AC on. I guess it depends on the cop and the mood he's in.... I'd just pay, not a bad idea to pay up until the cost of the tint

-J
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
yes it is illegal to have tint on the front windows. so they can pull you over for it. now if your from PA where its legal i think they can do anything.

-brandon

well when i was in NJ i had tint but never pulled for it..PA is allowed only facotry tint. but it is illegal to pull someone just for that. they have to pull you for something else then ticket for the tint. ie speeding running lights no tail lights etc
Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowcamaro
PA is allowed only facotry tint. but it is illegal to pull someone just for that. they have to pull you for something else then ticket for the tint. ie speeding running lights no tail lights etc
In reference to being pulled over, this is flat out not true.... at least in PA. You can be pulled over for tint alone, much the same as having an out light or any other vehicle defect or illegal alteration.

Mike
Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Tinted windows in NJ

Originally Posted by iwantLS1
i was pulled over. He got me for tint. Object hanging from rear view mirror. Plate cover hiding “garden state” I was not charged any money but summoned to court tomm. Let you k ow how it goes. 9-15-19

also, I forgot to mention I was pulled over 4 days later by the same cop, same street and that said I was looking down (thought I was on my phone but honestly just going thru makeup bag) doing my morning thing. He didn’t want any info bc I think he was just picking on me. I’m sure to mention that to the judge tomm!!

Last edited by Michelle Gebhardt; 09-15-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: More to story...

Quick Reply: Can NJ cops pull you over because of tinted windows?