Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

TBI to TPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TBI to TPI

Fairly straightforward. Have a 91 Firebird with a 305 TBI, want to make it a TPI. What all do I need? And yes search is still messed up so please don't respond with that.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thirdgen.org They will have every answer to any question realated to it.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

They don't mention if I need a harness, I guess I could check the discussion forums instead of just the parts list. Anyone know if I need a whole harness, or is it just a different deal that plugs in for the injectors instead of the TBI injector?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need the TPI harness.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

Now replacing the fuel lines, is that up front, or were they different all the way back?

Am I screwed fuel pump wise? I guess if I go TPI or carb I need a different fuel setup?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Thanks.

Now replacing the fuel lines, is that up front, or were they different all the way back?

Am I screwed fuel pump wise? I guess if I go TPI or carb I need a different fuel setup?
You will need a higher pressure fuel pump because TPI uses around 43 Psi and TBI uses around 13 psi. What type of tuned port motor is it? I just put an LT1 in my 91 camaro. I sent my LT1 harness to a guy named Dana at LT1wiring.com and he made it a stand alone harness. that made things alot easier for me. Also if you have a TPI engine that uses an electronic transmission you will have to use the tranny that goes with the motor or have the transmission deleted out of the computer. Also Dana does that kind of thing as well as mail order tunes. He helped me all the way thru my install. Good Luck!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and as far as fuel lines go I just used fuel injection hose from the frame rail in the front to the fuel rail. 3/8 feed line and 5/16 return line
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to change fuel pumps.

You need to modify your wiring harness to be the same as a TPI harness (they are almost identicaly except for injector wiring and one other wire

They are far more alike than different.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drumer919
You need the TPI harness.
Not 100% true. You can modify a TBI wiring harness for TPI with little trouble. The TBI is a speed density batch fire system with 2 injectors. It is easily converted to TPI/speed density batch fire with 8 injectors. All you do is each single TBI injector wiring becomes injector wiring for 1 side of the engine and you add 4 Bosch injector pigtails. Also you need to change things like fuel pumps, and of course all the hard TPI parts. Another option would be to purchase the Holley Stealthram and convert your wiring. Stealthram > factory GM TPI anyday of the week. If you want any more info please PM me
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

^ The stock TPI system isn't as bad as some people might suggest. Click Here...

To the original poster, we did many TBI to TPI swaps throughout the years. I would highly recommend converting to an EBL ( Click Here ) ECM, makes the entire process much more easier, and a great deal more tuner friendly from the get-go....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact "Dyno Don" on thirdgen.org... he did this conversion for my 92 RS.. he can convert your TBI harness to TPI very easily.. and can also give you a parts list of things you need.. 730 computer with chip, injectors, sensors, ect.

he usually posts in the Southern CA board.. but posts a lot in the TPI and ECM boards..his son Kevin91Z is a mod on that board and is a great tuner..
Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks everyone. Unless I can get the stealth ram for the same price as the regular TPI parts, I don't think I really need the stealth ram. This is for my moms DD. Its just a 305 with a mild cam, which who knows what the specs on the cam even are. Not trying to go real fast, but would be nice to have the TPI.

Quick Reply: TBI to TPI