Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should my belt tensioner jiggle slightly while idling? Should I be able to push it t

Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should my belt tensioner jiggle slightly while idling? Should I be able to push it t

Should my belt tensioner jiggle slightly while idling? Should I be able to push it towards slack while putting medium light pressure with my hand? Maybe 40 lbs of force on the pulley to untension the belt.

Also, could a slipping belt cause me to lose alot of power but still run otherwise normal? It looks like my belt has been doing burnouts on my waterpump pulley(the big one on top?), if it slipped on the crank pulley too, maybe I would lose voltage and bog?

I'm not sure, but I know I'll get a new belt. A tensioner too if you guys think mine sounds weak...by the way, all the other cars we tried the tensioners seemed stiffer, but wanted some opinions.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody? ttt thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Teching In

seems like i did read somewhere on here that the tensioner is known to go bad on these cars id try the belt first then if it still slips get a tensioner. mine has some movement at idle but not as much as you are describing
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your tensioner is getting tired...mine was a while ago, and I just went ahead and sprung for a manual tensioner just so I'd never have to worry again. My tensioner on my A/C belt went soft too, and I had to replace it since it was squeaking all the time and jiggling at idle. Once replaced, that tensioner stopped jiggling. Not sure if your main tensioner would do the same, but it'd probably do it much less at the very least.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, new belt, and new tensioner and it still bounces back and forth a bit. Is this normal, or is some component dragging the belt? Can someone look at their tensioner while idling, and tell me about how much their idler pulley moves? Either reference the little markes on the side of the tensioner, or just how far the pulley moves from side to side? This would be very helpful thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody? Pretty please?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Teching In

I don't have a reference for ya just a few questions.

You say it is moving back and forth. Do you mean it is vibrating? Can you let us know approximately how much it is moving in inches?

If it is working correctly then it should be vibrating and moving a little, but it is unclear how much yours is moving. If it is really bouncing all over the place, possibly a pulley is not seated correctly. or something on the belt line is not bolted in or has come loose.

Trying to help,

Josh
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Just throw out the factory tensioner and get a Katech lock in style. Mine kept slipping so I replaced it with a new factory unit and it still blew the belt off when I got on it. I went to the billet Katech and no more problems. Its not terribly expensive and ends up cheaper than replacing belts/factory tensioners. I lost 2 brand new belts on the road cuz my tensioners wouldnt hold my torque.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it may or may not be normal vibration. I can measure tonight, but I'd guess it moves around 3/8" give or take. More than I expect to see, but not sure it's a problem. That's why I'm wondering how much others' move.

I just put a brand new tensioner and belt on there yesterday, and the car is stock, so it's not either of those.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That small amount of vibration is probably normal...can you still move the new tensioner with your bare hands?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That small amount of vibration is probably normal...can you still move the new tensioner with your bare hands?
The tensioner does feel a little stiffer, but still moves about the same amount while idling.

I wouldn't care about it, but the car is not running right, so I'm still trying to explore possibilities. Might remove the air and egr this weekend just to see if it helps. I'm torn though between that, cleaning out the fuel pump, and checking the cats somehow. Anybody know how? Anybody know how long it takes to service the fuel pump? Can I test the fuel pump somehow?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow...So I figure I'd fiddle with the car a little, clean the k&n etc...so while the filter is soaking, I deside to see if I can blow any crap out of the maf sample tube or whatever, and Hmm I wonder what the chances are of this not being the problem...pretty slim lol. Well it looks like when the previous owner installed the lid he didn't realize there was sticky under the plastic backing of the foam gasket. I blame myself a little for not securing it better, but I thought part of it wasn't sticky anymore and it seemed good enough, I guess not. Well if this isn't the problem I'll be quite surprised. Can't find out yet though because my filter is still drying. Well I'm glad I didn't buy that Z with the descreened maf! lol. I'm so glad that screen is there. Makes me think about all the dirt that must get through to the motor though,

Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

check that, it wasn't the previous owner, the gasket just separated somehow I think.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'd carefully clean the MAF sensor wires after removing it too. Your tensioner movement sounds normal...these tensioners don't have alot of tension.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You, my friend, are a lucky man. That could have easily put the motor out of comission.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

tell me about it, and I dodged the dealer chaching bullet too
Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is why I pull the lid off my car (and check the oil and trans fluid) every time I fill it with gas. I pull the filter and check its in good shape and check the MAF for any debris that would tell me the seal is poor between the lid and filter.

Anyways.. the tensioner movement sounds normal. Mine jumps around a little at idle. When My tensioner went bad it would start jumping ribs and fly off the car though. I replaced it with just an auto parts sore one and had no problems since but if it gives me problems again I'll get a manual one.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

/\--- that sounds a bit excessive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should my belt tensioner jiggle slightly while idling? Should I be able to push it t