General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How often to change oil w/ car thats rarely driven?

Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How often to change oil w/ car thats rarely driven?

My 99 T/A basically sits all the time.Maybe 250 miles a year.I use mobil 1.Do I still need to change it every 6 months even if I dont drive it?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the car sit almost the entire year without being driven or do you at least run it around the block or so every week or two? If it just sits around, I would definately change it every 6 months just to be sure. $30 twice a year isn't a big deal.

Just curious but why only 250 miles a year? ****, I drive mine everyday and it doesn't seem like enough. I'm just never satifisfied. I want to drive it constantly.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

condensation will start to take over the oil so thats something to worry about
Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Teching In

TTT please
Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Oil doesn't "go bad" over the amount of time you are talking about. During the warmup the water will evaporate out.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change it every other month....i dont understand why people get really nice cars and then never drive them...we only have one life to live and you cant take the car with you....but i guess thats your thing
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

I would at least change it every 6 months
Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Teching In

I only put 2200 miles on mine last year. I got fired from my job and had no where to go. lol 44k on a 2000 Z28. Change the oil once a year.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I only drive my car part of the year.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by staringback05
change it every other month....i dont understand why people get really nice cars and then never drive them...we only have one life to live and you cant take the car with you....but i guess thats your thing
I got the car in 99 w/ 3k miles on it. I've put 40k on it since then.The last couple years I havent really driven it because the baby seat doesnt really fit in it well and Ive also got a bike that I drive every once in a while.
If I wanted a smart *** remark then I wouldnt have have posted here and just asked my 3 year old niece instead.Some people do have other priorities in life than there car.I just happen to be lucky enough to hold on to my car and drive it RARELY. At least I didnt bitch out,and sell it like most people would do.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Screamin99TA
I got the car in 99 w/ 3k miles on it. I've put 40k on it since then.The last couple years I havent really driven it because the baby seat doesnt really fit in it well and Ive also got a bike that I drive every once in a while.
If I wanted a smart *** remark then I wouldnt have have posted here and just asked my 3 year old niece instead.Some people do have other priorities in life than there car.I just happen to be lucky enough to hold on to my car and drive it RARELY. At least I didnt bitch out,and sell it like most people would do.

If you have that attitude about him get ready to clash horns with about 50% of all people on this site as most of them are know-it-all undercover teenies with extra energy to get out. I post most of my serious inquiries on another website. Anytime you ask a serious question brace yourself for the opening flood gates of your stupid because you didn't do something the way I would have OR my certificate in yadda yadda upsurps your every comment.

Suprisingly, when I search on the net or pick up the lastest magazine I can easily find their source of infinite knowledge. Better to just cut losses, mate.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Its funny how this site works.Ive always contemplated posting or commenting because of people like this.Ive viewed this site for awhile now and even searched first to see if I could find the answer,but it kept freezin on me. So I said what the hell,I might as well just post it. But people like that make me want to never ask for advice again.Im sorry,but I thought that was what this site was established for.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

don't worry about it man...I drive my car from April-Sept just to shows, it sits the other 6 months..I change the oil once a year. I have not had any problems doing this..
Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With today's synthetics, changing the oil that often is a waste. If you run a good synthetic oil, you could go well beyond 1 year OCI's. I believe Patman posted an oil analysis awhile back of his mother's car that ran gc 0w30 for like 2 years (can't remember mileage, but it wasn't much) and the analysis said there was still useable life left in the oil. I put ~1000-1500 miles a year on my car, I change the oil once a year.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
With today's synthetics, changing the oil that often is a waste. If you run a good synthetic oil, you could go well beyond 1 year OCI's. I believe Patman posted an oil analysis awhile back of his mother's car that ran gc 0w30 for like 2 years (can't remember mileage, but it wasn't much) and the analysis said there was still useable life left in the oil. I put ~1000-1500 miles a year on my car, I change the oil once a year.

I agree, every other month is waste of money, if your only putting a few hundred miles on it id change it once a year.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin99TA
Its funny how this site works.Ive always contemplated posting or commenting because of people like this.Ive viewed this site for awhile now and even searched first to see if I could find the answer,but it kept freezin on me. So I said what the hell,I might as well just post it. But people like that make me want to never ask for advice again.Im sorry,but I thought that was what this site was established for.
Try not to have such a thin skin. Nobody really means harm. It's a community discussion. And you get a lot of opinions. Young smart asses, old ones. Lots of good advice in between.

As to your question, change the oil a couple times a year, regardless of mileage.

And my personal opinion is that having a nice car that you don't drive is like having a good woman that you don't......well, try to take out more often.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 69 corvette with mobil 1 in it. In the last 2 years I have put less than 200 miles on the car. I finally drained the oil and it was like new and had NO water in it. People read the 3000 mi/3 month oil change deal and swear by it. Oil anylisis proves otherwise. Don't worry about that one stupid comment, for the most part people on here are very helpful. The oil is NOT going to just break down from sitting and as long as the car isn't outside in terrible weather the condinsation isn't going to be much if at all.

-William
Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Launching!

I have a 98-SS with under 11K and only change it once a year. Cheap enough insurance with Mobil-1. Heck if my wife would let me keep it in the living room I would. It's your car drive it or park it, who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wolfgang427
I have a 98-SS with under 11K and only change it once a year. Cheap enough insurance with Mobil-1. Heck if my wife would let me keep it in the living room I would. It's your car drive it or park it, who cares what anyone else thinks.
Amen, brother.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often to change oil w/ car thats rarely driven?