LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best ignition box for LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ignition box for LT1

Im trying to decide which ignition box will work best for my 95 camaro. It's N/A right now might put nitrous on it later though. Is there a big difference between the digital and analog boxs? Been loking at the mallory 6AL, MSD 6AL, Accell 300+, Crane cams HI-6R or S. Heard a lot of good stuff about the MSD but was curious if any of the other boxs I listed was better.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Accel 300 here.
97 TA, na, some bolt ons, in 5 years no problems.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Where did you mount your box at?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Go coil pack the LTCC kit will retard the timing if you need it and it cleans up the rpms. I spin my lt4 to 7 grand, before it would die off around 6or just under. The problem with a box is the extra heat of the fire will kill the opti sensor. Coil packs will pull the heat out to the coil and not in the cap.

http://www.teamprickracing.com/twinturbo/

http://www.geocities.com/reilym/LTCC/

http://www.bailey-eng.com/

http://www.delteq.com/products.htm

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/index.htm

here are some links
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Regular

If you are going to go the nitrous route, I would suggest the Mallory 685. It has a built in window switch, timing retard, rev limiter and a couple other cool features. I have one in my 95 and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Ford EDIS8 here with GM coil packs.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For starters don't bother with the ignition until you ARE spraying it. At which point as said the Mallory has all the features you need in one box at a good price.

I am sure you have heard lots of positive comments on MSD but next time you do as WHY. People say lots of things without any real reason. Not saying MSD is bad but listen when people recommend the Mallory and then go on to say because it has all the features in one box. Unless you want to have to spend a lot more buying multiple boxes.

Most positive reports on putting ignition boxes on cars are from folks not intelligent enough too understand that the fresh plugs and wires they put on at the same time are responsible for the difference. I put an Accel box I got cheap on just because it had the rev limiter I wanted, noticed no difference.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Most people are under the impression that an ignition box makes horsepower, they only allow your engine to produce more power. No denying a hotter spark is needed when spraying, adding boost etc. But, don't make it sound as if there is nothing to be had by running one on a stock/mild engine. Especially with the shitty fuels out there today.

I've ran several MSD boxes including the DIS2 and 4 boxes. In each case I noticed quicker starting and better performance when running cheap low octane fuel.

I've not ran a Mallory box, but I know their distributers have an iffy reputation.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

The stock LT1 ignitions are already fairly hot because GM was already starting to push up the mainenance intervals and improve idle emmissions and smoothness. These are not some 80s car with a weak ignition. That is another problem we have people can't seperate experiance with different applications from what works on this one.

I am saying on my LT1 I have run it with and without the Accel box and notice no difference. When I first bought the car I made the HUGE mistake of buying a Jacobs ignition, all that did was cause problems and result in massive gap wear before it completely died.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Thats because Jacobs boxes are a joke. So are D.U.I parts. If you doubt me I can put you in contact with the gentlemen who helped Gm work on it's HEI and ignition systems for several years who visits another board.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering if it would help the idle and throttle response below 3,000 rpm because of the multiple spark. Also if it would help keep the spark plugs from fouling cruising around town. I have the cc306 and it runs a little rich when cruising. I have a guy that will let me borrow his MSD 6AL. So I think I will try it and see what it does. Does MSD make a plug in horness for the 6AL?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Found the 6digital+ works great and MSD makes it plug and play. Has everything a N2O car needs to be big and strong.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by horse-power
I was wondering if it would help the idle and throttle response below 3,000 rpm because of the multiple spark. Also if it would help keep the spark plugs from fouling cruising around town. I have the cc306 and it runs a little rich when cruising. I have a guy that will let me borrow his MSD 6AL. So I think I will try it and see what it does. Does MSD make a plug in horness for the 6AL?

If you are fouling plugs then change them out for the RIGHT ones or fix the tune.

383LT1S10, the Jacobs was a hjoke hence why I said it caused problems till it outright died and did nothing but eat plugs. Thank you for pointing out yourself that you are trying to apply HEI "knowledge" too the LT1, exactly what I said people do. Keep thinking like that and retrofit a pair of "202 fuelie" heads too your LT1 and let us know how that thought process works for you.
One of the Impala guys was married to a woman who did ignition testing for GM a little more recently, testing all kinds of crap like multiple electrodes and such which was all crap. They are using what they can to keep plugs in and clean for 100K and improve idle emmissions, things are pretty good stock till you place extrodinary burden on them and few of us do that.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Launching!

I hooked up the Mallory 685 because I want to use it with nitrous. It has all the features and was easy to hook up, using the MSD harness. Very happy with it.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Aside from the higher resolution derived from the opti the high energy side of the ignition on a LT1 isn't that far from the other HEI setups. Stop acting like its some black magic that few would understand. It's nothing more than a remote coil HEI fired via optical pickup than a magnetic pickup. The spark module isn't special to the LT1 and has been used since the early 80's. So please enlighten me to why you think the LT1 is so unique? The same principles apply when it comes to spark timing etc. You always reply to people with this smart *** attitude like you're some ******* know it all. Everytime I see one of your posts I can always count on that it will be accompanied with a smartass know it all attitude.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I think a lot of people with older or high mileage lt1s notice a difference on bolton cars because their coil is old or worn out so the additional spark energy from the box helps mitigate that some, although replacing the old coil would probably have the same effect.

Quick Reply: Best ignition box for LT1