Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirting your LS engine??

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Megasquirting your LS engine??

I run Megasquirt on my turbocharged 5.0 mustang and will be swapping the 5.0 motor out for a 6.0L LS motor. I plan on retaining the MS. Anyone using this set-up? I am going back and forth between using MSD 6LS to control the factory LS coils or setting up an EDIS8 from a Ford 4.6 motor which will allow me to control timing with the MS instead of the MSD box.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I just finished my Megasquirt/MSD combo. It fired right up but I have some more work to go before I can start tuning. I did not use the Ford EDIS because of the hassle of pinning the balancer and mounting the crank trigger setup, but it should be rugged and inexpensive if you went that route. There are also a number of decoder boxes out there that can convert the 24X and the 60-2 GM trigger signals to a conventional 4X signal (therefore using the stock cam and crank sensors), but you still have to deal with some brand of EDIS module to fire the coils.
If you already have the Ford parts or not - you can't beat the Megasquirt for the best bang for the buck.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you mind posting your bacis config file to get it up and running? Im doing the msd / megasquirt combo within the month
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

sweet, i thought i was alone in this.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by under pressure
I just finished my Megasquirt/MSD combo. There are also a number of decoder boxes out there that can convert the 24X and the 60-2 GM trigger signals to a conventional 4X signal (therefore using the stock cam and crank sensors), but you still have to deal with some brand of EDIS module to fire the coils.
Could you elaborate on the Decoder box. I understand the EDIS uses a 36-1 tooth wheel and my 6.0L uses a 24 tooth.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a megasquirt write-up by parish8.
Megasquirt with EDIS
Another member posts how he machined the crank pulley to fit a 36-1 wheel on it.
I'm sure there are more recent threads on this though
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Megasquirt has a brand new controller. It will run coil on plug. You know where to find it!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I just finished (well im never finished) MegaSquirting my 5.3 in my 65 chevy Pick-up. Here is a pretty good write up form a guy that dropped a 5.3 in a rx7. http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx-7-bu...tml#post411417

At first I had some issues with some noise and couldnt rev past 2500rpm the ignition would break up. Instead of inputting the crank signal directly to the cpu pin (like mobeythevan) I ran it through the opto isolator as per the write up in the MS2Extra documents and has helped ALOT!!!!!. http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm I still power the crank sensor with 5v. I still have some breakup up near the 5k rpm area but going to shield some wires and hopefully that will help.

Also I have tried the MS2extra beta11 and it seem to run smoother (everyone says that when they upgrade from ms1 cpu to the ms2 cpu) But I haven’t been able to try it out yet since I’m not getting a tach out yet for my trans computer. Part of that could be im running 39lbs injectors (flex fuel motor) and it can control things with more accuracy. I will fix that soon and be able to give a full comparison.

So yes it's up and running with the LS1/genIII motors with the stock crank/ cam triggers and the stock coil packs.

One more installation note. You can power the coils directly from the led outputs and create one more output for the 4 pair of coils. You do not need to add the 4k7ohm resistor per the ms2 docs. also you can wire up your first pair of cyclinders up to output A (unlike Mobythevans's direction) you just have to move adjust the crank trigger menu alittle different

Here is a couple more theads to look at:
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=25691
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=25285

Graham
Old 10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastrucken
At first I had some issues with some noise and couldnt rev past 2500rpm the ignition would break up. Instead of inputting the crank signal directly to the cpu pin (like mobeythevan) I ran it through the opto isolator as per the write up in the MS2Extra documents and has helped ALOT!!!!!. http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm
Haven't checked on the MS board in a while.
That MS2-extra LS1 board is sweet.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Default decoder box

The decoding box I was referring to in my previous post is available from several sources, meant to work with aftermarket ECUs. Accel sells a box to work with the GenVII which converts the 24X signal to a 4X signal for their ECU. They told me it would work with other ECUs also but I have not done so myself. FAST makes a decoder called the XIM I believe, and used to make a smaller piece that worked well. I have some of these parts or can get them if you are interested. I just saw the info about the Megasquirt LS1 and am interested to find out more.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by under pressure
The decoding box I was referring to in my previous post is available from several sources, meant to work with aftermarket ECUs. Accel sells a box to work with the GenVII which converts the 24X signal to a 4X signal for their ECU. They told me it would work with other ECUs also but I have not done so myself. FAST makes a decoder called the XIM I believe, and used to make a smaller piece that worked well. I have some of these parts or can get them if you are interested. I just saw the info about the Megasquirt LS1 and am interested to find out more.
Thanks for the info, i'll do some searching.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Megasquirting your LS engine??