Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you guys get the top 4 bellhousing bolts out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you guys get the top 4 bellhousing bolts out?

Im removing my tranny, and am going to find out what broke, and see if i will buy a new tranny, get it rebuild, or fix whats broken. Now I have removed the torque arm, the driveshaft, the cross member, some electrical connections, and the bottom 4 bellhousing bolts. Today i will take off the shifter linkage, any other electrical connections i find, the rest of the bell housing bolts and unbolt it from the flywheel. So to get to my point how the hell did you guys get the top bh bolts out?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unbolt the crossmember and torque arm and take off all the wiring leading to the tranny. Then take off the linkage so the tranny is free of all that ****.

Make sure before unbolting the last 2 crossmember bolts you put a jack on the pan to hold the tranny from falling and tearing something up.

After you have the tranny free of all the elec. mess and linkage let the jack down slowly which will tilt the engine and tranny downward. Let it down all the way till the tranny quits falling. Then put the jack back under it and jack it up just a tad just to relieve the stress off the bellhousing and block..

Now get every extension you have and make it into one long *** one and you will also need a swivel. My extension went all the way passed the back of the tranny to the top 12-0-clock positioned bolt . It was about a 3' or so long LOL.. You have to work with it quite a bit bc its pretty difficult but once you break it loose it should be pretty easy after that.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it does require patience and a long extension or two or three. Sometimes I take some electrical tape to my wobble socket so it won't flop around, the tape allows it to be a bit more stable when I'm hunting a bolt head I cannot see so well.

g
Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

they suck ***! Just make sure you have one long *** extension and lots of patience
Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Lots of extensions. A Swivel. And then make sure you have a pry bar to get it off the dowel pins.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya i forgot, you do need to put electrical tape around the swivel so it wont flop over on you as soon as you touch the damn bolt, and you dont swear and throw things..
Old 10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bjamick
Unbolt the crossmember and torque arm and take off all the wiring leading to the tranny. Then take off the linkage so the tranny is free of all that ****.

Make sure before unbolting the last 2 crossmember bolts you put a jack on the pan to hold the tranny from falling and tearing something up.

After you have the tranny free of all the elec. mess and linkage let the jack down slowly which will tilt the engine and tranny downward. Let it down all the way till the tranny quits falling. Then put the jack back under it and jack it up just a tad just to relieve the stress off the bellhousing and block..

Now get every extension you have and make it into one long *** one and you will also need a swivel. My extension went all the way passed the back of the tranny to the top 12-0-clock positioned bolt . It was about a 3' or so long LOL.. You have to work with it quite a bit bc its pretty difficult but once you break it loose it should be pretty easy after that.
This is written in probaly the most simplist way, it should be a quick sticky. I dont think it can get anymore easier..
Crzy sig pic. lol
Old 10-17-2007, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Patience is a virtue, especially when you dont have a lift
Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I had extensions all the way back to the tail shaft. hated when it fell off
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly, you can do them from the top quite easily. You will literally have to lay on top of your motor and do it all by "feel". Also the shorter the wrench the better. I can get the top 2 bolts out in a minute each, no prob.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

Sometimes unbolting the exhaust helps the trans tip down more.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
B4C
Teching In

go buy the correct size swivel socket 13mm i think? it helps a lot. its like 8 bucks from craftsman
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Launching!

lift...extension...air tools= piece of cake
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Yea i wish i had a lift, and some air tools. Im 17 and all i have is a decent set of wreches and sockets. I have the car up on 2 jack stands. And im doing it in my mothers garage.

As of now progress-
6 bellhousing bolts gone
crossmember gone
electrical connects off
drive shaft
torque arm off

the tranny didnt drop very much, and i still cant even see the last of the bellhousing bolts. I climbed on the engine and couldnt find them from the top either WTF. Also do the coolent lines HAVE to come off now or can i take them off when i drop the tranny?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

I did mine several times on jackstands.
You need to unbolt the exhaust.
When I did mine it was stock, I just took the Y pipe off the cats. It then dropped down until the pass side manifold hit the frame but it was enough to get the top bolt from the bottom.
Also it's a good idea IMO to leave the dipstick alone and let it come out when the trans drops. You can drop it a little and disconnect the lines too.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

ive done several n never! unbolted the exhaust. n doesnt take more then an hour start to finish to get it out by myself on my back in my shop w/ no rack.
but like i said ive done several now n know all the tools i need for the job
i bought a snap on swivel socket set a few years back, worth every penny n u dont have to tape it up either, they were $$ but worth it
also craftsman and im sure plenty of other companys have an extension thats just 1 piece thats plenty long so you dont have to stack 3 or 4 12'' exts together, sometimes that way they have a lil too much flex. esp if using power tools
Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting them back in was harder than getting them out. With my long skinny arms I was actually able to reach up there and thread a few of them in, I resorted to this because I was getting pissed because the bolt kept falling out and it was a PITA to get it started once you got it there.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Launching!

do not take the exhaust off...waste of time.
Just be patient and turn on some good music and drink a beer and have a friend over...oh wait you are 17; drink a Red Bull..lol
Anyway, I took my 700R4 out of my last Camaro and it took long extensions, a wobble socket, and patience. It was in my Granny's carport jacked up with a floor jack. Take the lines off! Take everything off. If you still have trouble getting to them, you can try to place a screw jack in between the tranny and the undercarriage to lower it more, but don't put it in a spot where it will cause damage.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes pull the coolant lines off and watch your face so you not drinking any fluid..

The speedo wires will be in the way of the bolt, just scoot them to the side and shine a light up in there and you should see it.

Or it may be like my Z, it didnt have one right there .. So it made it easier on me.

After you take the coolant lines off the tranny should drop. You've prob bent the hell outta the lines though . Good thing their bendable.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Yea it's a waste of time to remove four bolts to unbolt the exhaust