Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with alternator wires

Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with alternator wires

I have a Lq4 in my 82 silverado. My alternator is from a 2000 Sierra and it has the one wire from the plug and a large black wire on the back. The alternator wires from the truck have a plug with two wires running to it (a red and a black) and then the large black wire(which I assume replaces the other large black wire). A local mechanic to told me that I don't have to connect the large black wire. And to run the red and black wires from the truck together and connect them to the one alternator wire. Does that make sense?
I was plannin on just running the red wire(with a resistor) to the one wire on the alternator and connecting the large black wire where the other large black wire was.
What should I do here? I'm not familiar with wiring at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, does anybody have any pictures of a resistor wired in? I'd like to see how it's done.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody got any advice?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

In my swap, I dont know how similar we are but we had what you described, one large gauge wire and then a plug with a red wire and a brown(black?) wire. We eliminated the plug wires altogether. just the plug that goes into the new engine's harness and the large wire on the back of the alternator is all that remains.

We initially thought that the brown(black?) wire was our voltmeter, but it wasent so we just got rid of it. No problems yet.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Sure, I have some advice: read the wiring diagrams for the old truck and the donor vehicle .

Your 82 would probably had a 10SI alternator like I was running in my Camaro. It used three wires. One wire bolt down. This wire goes straight to the battery (probably a fusible link in it somewhere). The other two wires went into a connector--one of those wires was 12V battery power taken from the fuse box, and the other was the idiot light. I don't know what a 2000 truck alternator wiring diagram looks like. The 2000 truck will have a bolt down connector on the back, and you'll connect that to the same wire that runs to the battery than your old alternator had bolted down. For the other wire on the 2000 alternator, I'm not 100% sure what that is... On F-bodies alternators it goes to the PCM, but I think I remember reading that trucks are different. There's a good chance that it goes to the idiot light, but I'm not 100% certain.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
We initially thought that the brown(black?) wire was our voltmeter, but it wasent so we just got rid of it. No problems yet.
brown wire was usually the idiot light on an older GM vehicle. It would be unused if you have an F-body LS1 alternator.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rodder
brown wire was usually the idiot light on an older GM vehicle. It would be unused if you have an F-body LS1 alternator.
Yeah but the camino had the gauges package, and there is no Idiot light for the volts, so..... but yes.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go do that and see if the truck starts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with alternator wires