Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those who spray and have a catch can

Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default for those who spray and have a catch can

I have a catch can on my car and have found that it will fill up much quicker when spraying the car as opposed to jut running motor. The motor is an iron block 408 and has an ls6 valley cover. Should I put the pcv valve back in between the valley cover and the catch can to slow its filling or is this normal? I may just need to vent the motor more but unsure at this time.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have added a Catch can and a breather can to mine. I have not ran it this year but short of a vacuum pump I am running out of Choices.

I would think the a LS6 Style block would help with with crank case pressure in the bottom of the block.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

how big of a shot?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XLR8N
how big of a shot?
so far 150 but want to go up to 250-300 as that is what the motor is built for
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

150 doesnt seem big enough to create that much presure. although with increased cylinder preasure, some of that will go past the rings (blow by) some is expected though. is there alot of presure on the dipstick? pull your dip stick out and put your thumb on the tube you shouldnt really feel anything. do you have a good set of nitrous rings in?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PVC valve does nothing to impead oil-mist flow to intake/puke can, it's safety item in case you have a back fire.

I dropped the ls6 style pvc all together, waaaaay to much oil getting into the intake tract, and spraying big, that's a really bad thing to have in the cylinder (detonation). Here's my cure for about $11 bucks (below). Yea some blow by and smell in engine bay, but that's indicitive of a loose nitrous motor. I found a K/N filter that fits the stock drivers rear hole also. If I found a puke can that really worked on a nitrous motor running the pvc, then I would/will put one back.

Robert
Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

robert- do you get any oily build up around your breathers?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

robert- do you get any oily build up around your breathers?
Yea sure, just part of the game, wash them out and keep on top of it. You should see the fumes/smoke/blow-by exiting at idle, then you would see why no more PVC.
Robert
Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

The NBA swet bands for you wrist work great to keep the oil mist out of the car. they are cotton and catch it. then throw it away after a race day or 2 and back to a clean one. wilson makes some black ones that really hide the oil.....stole that from a ricer at a car show...his were orange thought
Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by Robert56
The PVC valve does nothing to impead oil-mist flow to intake/puke can, it's safety item in case you have a back fire.

I dropped the ls6 style pvc all together, waaaaay to much oil getting into the intake tract, and spraying big, that's a really bad thing to have in the cylinder (detonation). Here's my cure for about $11 bucks (below). Yea some blow by and smell in engine bay, but that's indicitive of a loose nitrous motor. I found a K/N filter that fits the stock drivers rear hole also. If I found a puke can that really worked on a nitrous motor running the pvc, then I would/will put one back.

Robert

Robert, do you have a part # for that breather on the oil fill cap???
Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
The NBA swet bands for you wrist work great to keep the oil mist out of the car. they are cotton and catch it. then throw it away after a race day or 2 and back to a clean one. wilson makes some black ones that really hide the oil.....stole that from a ricer at a car show...his were orange thought
Great idea, I think we'll try it.
Robert
Old 11-22-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VH5150
Robert, do you have a part # for that breather on the oil fill cap???
No, not off hand. I got it from Pep Boys auto Parts. they have some ricer colored ones that aren't as good. This one has the SS mesh, and I can't see any difference between this one and the $45 K/N one. Also, to fit (hood Clearance) the Vettes, the oil cap needs some hole saw work, but doable for anyone with some mechnical skills.
Robert
Old 11-23-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

150 doesnt seem big enough to create that much presure. although with increased cylinder preasure, some of that will go past the rings (blow by) some is expected though. is there alot of presure on the dipstick? pull your dip stick out and put your thumb on the tube you shouldnt really feel anything. do you have a good set of nitrous rings in?
There is no issues at the dip stick, checked it first. I was just not expecting as much oil in the catch can so quickly. I was hoping that once a month I would have to drain it and not every two weeks. It just seems to be a bit excessive oil use. I almost think that it would justbe better to put a breather in the oil cap and block off the valley cover breather all together.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is an LT1 but same issues. LTx cars were plauged with oil in the intake issues from day one.

Here are some pic's. I have a vent out of each Valve cover.

I will be replacing the Filter with a welded in oil fill cap. then run the vents to this catch.

Then I plan on reinstalling my PCV system again with the other catch can in line
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

What exactly does a catch can do??? I bought the latest car with one on it and am debating whether I really need it or not.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have a 408 setup for a 300 shot. That tells me the builder set the ring gap bigger that's why you have more crankcase gasses than your used to. I run two 3/8" hoses from the passenger side valve cover and on the driver side I put a rubber grommet in the valve cover and found that a 1/2" npt fitting screwed into it tightly. I ran a 1/2" hose off of that. So I have the 1/2" hose and the two 3/8" hoses running to a puke can with a vent on it. I used to use the filter on the driver side like Robert is talking about but was getting oil dripping onto my headers. I also used to wrap a rag around it and that helped but its not as good as my new setup. I have a LS6 valley cover and a AMW catch can. It was not enough to handle everything even with the breather on the valve cover. I will be selling the catch can and the LS6 valley cover this winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: for those who spray and have a catch can